Poll Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers (NES)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tomswift2002, May 3, 2020.

?

Rate Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers for the NES

1. 5 stars

50.0%
  2. 4 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 stars

50.0%
  4. 2 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers
    Published in 1990 by Capcom for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) & Playchoice-10
    Published in 2017 by Capcom for the PS4, Xbox One and PC

Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers is probably one of the Top Ten Best NES games period. You ask anyone what the great games of the NES/Famicom were, and Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers will always be one of the first games that people list. It was just that good, especially considering that it was based on a TV show, and usually games based on TV shows or movies, well, they are usually the laughing stock of any system. And, actually when you think of games-based-on-TV-show-or-movies in general, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers is also in the Top 10 (or maybe even Top 3) of that category as well! It's that good of a game, even 30 years later.

I still have my original NES cart of it, and just a few weeks ago I downloaded on the PS4 The Disney Afternoon Collection which contains it and 5 other Disney NES games (which, when you think about it, it's strange that the DAC has not been released on the Nintendo Switch or 3DS). The other 5 Disney titles are Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers 2, DuckTales, DuckTales 2, TaleSpin & Darkwing Duck. The one thing that I really like about the collection is that it includes Rescue Rangers 2, DuckTales 2 & Darkwing Duck, which are very difficult to come by on the NES, since they were released between 1992 and 1994 originally, and the NES was discontinued in 1995. I've had DuckTales2 & Darkwing Duck along with the original DuckTales on Gameboy for years now, and I've also had TaleSpin on the NES, so I've played those before, however, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 was an exclusive to the NES, and from what I see on ebay, you're looking at over $100 USD for a cart-only copy. So it's nice that on the collection you get CNDRR 1 & 2 for way les than $100 USD.

So, Fat Cat is up to his usual tricks in this game, and he's kidnapped Gadget, the team's female mechanic/inventor. And you, as either Chip or Dale (or if you are playing 2 player you and your friend can play as both charcters) have to stop Fat Cat and rescue Gadget. Visually, in 2020, the 8-bit graphics are not great, but for 1990, they were really good. They really showed what the NES could do. On the PS4 you do have the option of playing at the original screen resolution (which puts borders all around the image), Full Screen (which upscales the 4:3 image to a Pillar Boxed image that fills a modern TV) or Widescreen, which stretches the 4:3 upscaled image to fill the entire screen. You also have two filters, TV & Monitor, to give that CRT look, however, I can't really tell a difference between either (yeah, you get the front-door-screen look, vs the non-line modern look TV vs. Monitor, don't really look any different). But I have noticed that it looks like Digital Eclipse fixed a few flaws that I remember from the NES, specifically in Zone B when you would jump on the water taps to turn off the water. I remember the NES version had a visual glitch every time that you jumped on the tap with the tap handle itself. It reminded me of the visual glitch that was in Mega Man 3 at the stage select screen that appeared above Gemini Man (and from reviews that I've seen of modern ports, was kept in even though it could've been fixed).

Anyway, with the PS4 version, aside from that, the only other thing that I think is missing is a Switch port of these games. The only way to make the game better is to have it on a Nintendo system (and in the bonuses, you can see that Capcom had to digitally erase any mention of Nintendo from the included box artwork; especially the Game Boy artwork looks weird, because it has the silver strip on the left hand side, and it took me a few minutes to remember that the boxes would have the "GAMEBOY" logo on that strip).