Cheap Carbon Fiber?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by John Picard, Apr 9, 2010.

1. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Cheap carbon fiber? BMW shoots to reduce its cost

More details in the article. If BMW can pull this off, then there will literally be a revolution in transportation down the road.

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

More than just transportation. This could be a very good thing.

3. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been a car guy my whole life; however, I've become very bitter and loathing of the automobile mainly due to congestion and distracted drivers. Although I am dubious of the practicality of electric cars and lean more toward light rail, trains, and other forms of mass transit, the ability to produce carbon fiber components cheaply and in quantity would be a boon. The lighter weight over steel would increase distance and speed for electrics. No one ever considers weight when I argue against electric cars.

Couple the carbon fiber vehicle with a more powerful engine, and it's like an entirely new world. I honestly believe that if this does work, it will be a rarity in 20 years to see a vehicle over 10 years old on the road.

Taken further, imagine passenger rail trains of carbon fiber construction. Much lighter and stronger than steel/aluminum and would greatly increase speed while decreasing travel times.