Characters with handicaps

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kilana2, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It doesn't have an unabbreviated form. It's always just "Ms." For that matter, "Mrs." is technically short for "Mistress"; "Missus" is just a vernacular rendering of how the abbreviation has come to be pronounced. It was originally a vulgar mispronunciation of the word, so it was spelled that way to convey dialect or vulgar speech in written fiction. But now "Mrs." has become a distinct title from "Mistress," so it's no longer considered an abbreviation. It's always just "Mrs." "Mister" is the only such title that still has a spelled-out form in modern English.

2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about we compromise? Get rid of the word "handicapped" along with the term "check ones privilege?"

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

*not speaking as moderator, just joining the conversation*

No, because privilege by it's very nature tends to be invisible to those who have it. It's very noticeable to those who struggle, but not to those who don't: using physical disadvantages as the example - say when a building has a step before it's front door - anyone who doesn't struggle with walking probably wouldn't even pay it any heed.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Selar's adopted Andorian daughter ("Eyes of the Beholders") is blind and wears a device similar to the one Miranda Jones wore in TOS.

Arex lost his third arm in a battle but it was quickly reattached by the next novel.

5. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't compatible with New Frontier Selar if I'm not mistaken. I remember the story and I liked it, but there wasn't mentioned an Andorian daughter again.

As to Nog and his lost leg: I loved the episode where he struggled to fight his PTSD. With the help of Vic he was finally able to return to duty - gradually and with the help of his friends. One of the best Nog episodes.

And Melora? I'd like to read more about her, she's the reason I like the Titan novels and one of my favorite Titan characters. And: she's fit in zero-g whereas others have to struggle (Worf for instance).

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's right -- it's from the era when books weren't allowed to reference each other or share continuity. New Frontier was the first work that began to move away from that policy, so it wouldn't have referenced anything prior to it.

Kilana2 likes this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fun fact for those not aware:
    @David Mack and former Trek Lit editor John J. Ordover developed the story for that episode.

8. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was indeed not aware. As far as I know Nog had never any problems with his artificial leg afterwards. So Bashir did a good job with the replacement.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mack and Ordover also did the story for Starship Down, the episode with the Defiant in the gas giant atmosphere.
    For more Trek episodes involving current Trek writers, we also have the VOY episode Prime Factors, which had a story by DRGIII and Eric A. Stillwell, and James Swallow did the original pitch for what became the VOY episode One.

10. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was that one storyline in "Cathedral" in which Nog's body seemed to start rejecting the prosthetic, but that was because his original leg was growing back thanks to timey-wimey alternate quantum state shenanigans. It was nothing Bashir had done wrong. Eventually matters were reversed and he had the prosthetic back on again.