Chapel Character Teaser

The next Strange New World teaser’s been released, and as expected, it’s featuring Nurse Chapel.

Can’t wait to see Jess Bush’s take on the character, and how the seeds of future relationships (and perhaps a somewhat unrequited love) are sewn.

Yeah. I'm loving that there may be previous history for why Chapel was lovelorn in TOS. Also nice to see they remember she's also a top bio-researcher.

That seems nothing like Chapel from TOS. Not sure why so many female characters are being written as vaguely arrogant, like that’s the only way a woman can be strong and confident. None of the DS9/Voyager women was written like that, and there was never any question they were capable and good at their jobs.

The writers don’t feel the need to present the men like that, so it seems like an unintentionally sexist trend (albeit with what I’m sure are good intentions).

Exactly. They weren’t wallflowers at all. But they weren’t written in this tropey fashion.
You must have been watching different shows. With the exception of maybe B'Elanna Torres because she was a Klingon the rest were very much tropes of a certain 'macho female' character types.

The TNG production staff openly stated that Tasha Yar's character attitude and attributes was based on that of the female Marine character from the film 'Aliens', PFC Vasquez.

I like this version of Chapel. She's got a sense of humor and a little swagger about her, which I suppose may be a reaction against the colorless version portrayed by Barrett.

I also like that her personality overshadows Spock a bit.

The men aren’t being presented that way? In the Hemmer teaser he proudly and confidently declared himself a genius.

I’m not really seeing any real distinction between how male and female characters are being presented as potentially arrogant.

It's true. Most of the new characters project this overarching confidence. M'Benga too, in his declaration that his compound will become the Federation standard for whatever the hell he's treating there.

Uhura and La'An are the only ones who seem uncertain of themselves.

The men aren’t being presented that way? In the Hemmer teaser he proudly and confidently declared himself a genius.

I’m not really seeing any real distinction between how male and female characters are being presented as potentially arrogant.

Good point. This is at least the third character teaser to feature this type of dialogue, so maybe most of the characters, regardless of sex, are going to be written as vaguely arrogant. Which seems equally weird. It’s a very 2020s concept of self-actualization.

Good point. This is at least the third character teaser to feature this type of dialogue, so maybe most of the characters, regardless of sex, are going to be written as vaguely arrogant. Which seems equally weird. It’s a very 2020s concept of self-actualization.

"Self-actualization" is a very 2020s concept of self-confidence.

None of them strike me as arrogant, except maybe Hemmer. A little.

"Self-actualization" is a very 2020s concept of self-confidence.

None of them strike me as arrogant, except maybe Hemmer. A little.

Agreed. They just seem very self assured and confident in their abilities, not arrogant.

Even Hemmer feels like he toes the line between arrogance and an alien culture clash that comes from how a combined self confidence and self awareness might be be perceived when delivered bluntly.

also anybody notice also she's has commander stripes on her uniform when they showed her in the Jeffries tube? How can a nurse be that high up in Starfleet but not have her M.D.?

Back