CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is cryptomining?

2. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. billtfargo

billtfargo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

RedForman likes this.
  4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ah, so AP is trying to trade in bitcoin now, dipping his toes a bit in the Dark Web. Wow, how idiotic and patently desperate. I can't wait for the History Channel biopic to get made showing all these scams his organization tried to engage in - after he goes to jail, of course.

RedForman likes this.
  5. RedForman

I'd have to have a double shot of that green stuff Scotty kept stashed in his quarters before sitting down to watch *that*..........

BillJ and jespah like this.
  6. 137th Gebirg

Aw c'mon...imagine the overwhelmingly satisfying feelings of schadenfreude if you watched it! He might get to share a cell with ol' Bernie Madoff. Wouldn't it be cool if that's how the show ended? It would become a permanent part of my blu ray collection. :)

RedForman likes this.
  7. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

Its an ideal thing to run until caught, and then say someone else did it. Or to have been actually hacked into the site. Either is possible. How can anyone prove otherwise without the server logs or the contract with the miner company (or a brag)? Its a dumb thing to have on his site, but there's just no way to draw any conclusions one way or another just from the fact that its there...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    jespah and 137th Gebirg like this.
  8. RedForman

Oh I don't think that'll put him in jail. Based on the stupid stuff he's been getting into though (detailed in the past 3-4 pages), I would suspect he's on track to get his butt back in a sling........

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Will cryptomining be caught by security programs like McAfee?

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

A poster on the Axanar Facebook page says their Kaspersky caught it:
    [​IMG]

wtriker1701 likes this.
  11. muCephi

Dont know that yet myself, but a quick search shows chrome extensions that do it (if you trust the extensions, look at the reviews I guess):
    http://www.techweez.com/2017/09/29/chrome-extensions-block-cryptominers/

ad blockers probably do it or would be on it pretty quickly

uMatrix is a chrome addin that is aggressive about controlling javascript, remote site references etc if you are willing to adjust it for the sites you visit to allow to run just enough to get what you want.

wtriker1701 likes this.
  12. muCephi

Yea, but then in turn, you may be running software controlled by a foreign intelligence service. Good luck with that.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. muCephi

O my it says its a trojan and can install itself onto your machine. Well duh, why not.

This sort of thing is probably why the phone companies' wet dream of the 80s of having 'the internet' run through their 'portal' (billed as they see fit of course) may come to pass with a few big players, fb, aol, etc. If there's just too much garbage out there, some layer is going to have to intervene to keep it out of your environment for all but the mountain climbers of IT. Shame. And really not surprising. A fully functional safe level playing field internet would mean people could organize outside of the hierarchies of existing power structures and shuttered communications. Gotta shut that down for sure. Trash it, yea.

14. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

One detail to consider is that this was already brought up to their attention on September 22nd:

https://twitter.com/poly2k/status/911287676892012549

15. muCephi

That certainly is a consideration :wtf:. Two weeks is too long to say you are just getting around to it when all you are doing is re-re-re-re-writing your screenplay and perhaps holding your fan meetup after Dragoncon. Its too long under any circumstance except bereavement. 2 hours is more reasonable, with site takedown meantime.

jespah likes this.
  16. muCephi

We will see. OWC might be hoping the post will not have been noticed by many and taking it down will have created some room for a lesser action than renunciation.

I think it depends partly whether any attorney there gets wind of it or whether they aren't big enough to have in house staff (HR, Legal, maybe Marketing) who will independently raise a ruckus about intolerable PR risk to the company. Their response in the thread did suggest they have governing policies.

I wouldn't be surprised by a memorializing by this or that site, just because it seems like something that might attract a little attention somehow.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is this something that Alec or whoever runs the Axanar website would have put up there on purpose, or could they have accidently picked it up somewhere? Either way, the fact that it was brought to their attention and wasn't removed immediately is definitely suspicious.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

... and a tiger can't change her spots.... :techman:

Sgt_G likes this.
  19. 137th Gebirg

I think I jumped the gun a bit - I don't think this or anything he's done before will land him in jail. However, the direction he's going in, willing to put registered malware on his site to mine bitcoin revenue? We always knew his ethical compass was broken, but the current vector he's travelling in implies a one-way ticket to perdition. It's only a matter of time before he overtly crosses the "fraud" line, runs afoul of state or federal commerce laws and that's all she wrote. There is a downward-spiraling pattern of behavior here that sadly indicates a not-to-favorable end for AP and his designs.

20. muCephi

barn doors opened this week:

"Axanar Donors Literally Mined After Being Crowdsource-Mined"

"Corporate-Sponsored Studio Encourages Gun Violence on Facebook"

he needs a PR person

better yet, just stop doing anything AT ALL except produce valuable work

o sorry forgot, everyone in the world except their team does not produce anything at all, all value in the universe already comes exclusively from them, every other view is just hating on the one true source of everything, which has already achieved the pinnacle of producing valuable work. nevermind.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    RedForman and jespah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.