CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So the latter, then?

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

One could argue "Both" to be fair.

3. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

This may have been discussed here already, but how is it that Peters is still pushing to do his movie when he was sued to stop, and I'm imagining part of the agreement was to not do the movie?

4. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

That's the $64,000 question, or rather the 1.3 million dollar question, isn't it? Allegedly, his settlement with CBS allows him to follow the Guidelines and make two 15-minute short films. But can he actually restrain himself to such limitations??

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  5. KirkusOveractus

He's still having the costumes made, work is going on the sets, he's showing up at conventions promoting the movie (to the point of people who were to be in it asking to have their photos taken off the project or have what they shot taken out or not shown!)

Shows he's either delusional, stupid or both. Anyone with a conscience would have stopped with their movie. I know a lawsuit would scare me slightly!

6. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Me, too. But neither of us was "trained as a lawyer".

7. KirkusOveractus

I was. I'm a paralegal. Even with that, I'd know that a suit brought against me for something like this would tell me I've crossed a line and not do that again!

When I started my Buddy Holly tribute show, I went to his Estate and the copyright holders of the music to get everything in line so I wouldn't get slapped with a lawsuit or court order. But I guess that's what you do when you're smart and do a fan endeavor using your own money!

jespah and dmac like this.
  8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Is all that still really going on (costumes, sets, etc.)? I haven't seen much of anything public come out of AP's efforts outside the ubiquitous solicitations to fund...something, and the recent Dragon*Con goat-rope (which was, in reality, another money-grab shill under the pretense of a "fan club").

Even if, by some miracle, he does get enough money to produce his two films, I can't think of anyone who will work with him, either in front of or behind the camera. IIRC, AP has alienated Tobias Richter, who was his (enormously talented) CG guy. Tony Todd has publicly denounced the project, Richard Hatch has passed, and I don't recall hearing if any of the other actors attached to the project vociferously expressed their interest in continuing and supporting it.

So yeah, I really don't know why he's still bothering. Damn near literally all the bridges have been burned to ash. It's sad, really...

And I'm still waiting for my fucking patch! Why don't they just send me one of the ones they were trying to hock at Dragon*Con? :mad:

dmac likes this.
  9. KirkusOveractus

With Richard Hatch, can Peters do an Ed Wood and hire another actor to play him, but hide his face with a cape?

urbandefault likes this.
  10. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's going to take more than a cape to hide Peters face, brick wall maybe.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

I suppose he could. But again, I have no idea who would actually work for/with him on this any more. Who does he have left but non-professional volunteers. One of the C/P guidelines, IIRC, is that actors that have already been associated with the licensed Star Trek franchise are no longer allowed to work on fan films. Basically, it has to be all fan run, no professionals.

dmac likes this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except... he's not actually going to use that bridge set in the Axanar shorts. Or film in their new warehouse. He's said he's filming in LA on greenscreens like Prelude.

I suspect the Ares bridge set is to launch a knock-off of the TOS set tour. Why else would it exist?

dmac likes this.
  13. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

Is he explicitly promoting a "movie", or just his imagined territory in the Trek world, "Axanar", regardless what form the work takes?

I imagine if there is any crossing of the settlement boundaries there is also calculation that it won't in each bit be enough for the studios to gear up and go back to court.

So far as far as guideline/settlement violations there's:

- "no crowdsourcing Axanar's fan films" settlement violation by crowdsourcing for the studio "not the Axanar segments", then letting the donors "vote" after the crowdsourcing is completed to apply the funds to the segments by using the money on relocation of the fan film sets.

- "no former Trek professionals involved in the fan film" guidelines violation by displaying their likenesses as promotional content for the "club" "not promoting, only being enthusiastic about" the fan film segments

others?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He doesn't have enough money for postage. :lol:

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, he already has to replace Tony Todd's character (as Todd vocally quit - a fact Peters seems loathe to state or acknowledge when shilling for more fan funding); so i don't think replacing someone who unfortunately passed on is much of an issue for him.

dmac and KirkusOveractus like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As per settlement terms, the Prelude cast may return and RMB can direct.

muCephi and dmac like this.
  17. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Costumes are being made according to the post on Axanar blogin July:
    http://www.axanarproductions.com/production-update-july-27-2017-costumes/

In fact the costumes are now determining the timeline of when the two films will be made according to that post.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. 137th Gebirg

Huh...well...Okay, then. :)

19. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Jedi_Master, Philip Guyott and dmac like this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, I'm confused, why did they move to Atlanta and leave "Industry/whatever the fuck they're calling it today" Studios if they are still filming it in at the studio in LA? And why are they filming it on greenscreen if they spent thousands of dollars building a set?
    Wow, 30 people volunteers helped! You'd think with the way Alec and his supporters talked up Axanar hundreds of people would have showed up.
    Some fans and team members read and liked the script, which is not a surprise since at this he could feed his fans piles of shit and they'd probably say it was the greatest thing they'd ever eaten, and I doubt people who work for him are going to tell him his script sucks. I'd be more interested in what a professional critic or screenwriter thinks.
    "Axanar PR dude"? Seriously? I know this just a blog and not a real news site, but you'd think he'd try to sound at least a bit more professional than that.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.