CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

1. jespah

jespah Commodore Commodore

Note the operant word there: legit.

2. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He threw every other fan-film production company under the bus. Could be one of them getting even???

3. Mytran

Mytran Commodore Commodore

Axamonitor just reports on the bus throwing; it was Axanar that caused the trouble.

Two months in a row Axamonitor has been the victim of bandwidth theft now. However, since Carlos has stated he believes it to just be "scraping" by a non-Axanar third party, I'll go along with that for now.

4. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My bad. I read it as Axanar (not Axamonitor) was under attack. Wishful think, perhaps.

Jedman67 and Mytran like this.
  5. Mytran

Mytran Commodore Commodore

But...but...if everything Lord Alec says about the "haterz" is true, how could Axanar NOT be under constant ISP attacks?

Does that mean he could be...full of shit wrong????

:rommie:

6. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I made a negative post on my personal site about Axanar. My site disappeared in similar ways. So I have my theory there - but @carlosp knows to only state such things is he has evidence of wrongdoing. If an assumption was made, and then made public, they'd go into another meltdown (not that they need an excuse)

7. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

8. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Captain Captain

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Dear Lord...will this nonsense never end?

RedForman likes this.
  10. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Actually, I thought that was fairly reasonable myself.

11. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

So is the next episode of Continues not one that was already in pre/production when the guidelines came down? I know they said people who had already started work on a film/episode would be allowed to finish it as long as they stopped after that.

12. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just thought I'd say (not having read 1546 previous pages here) that I really liked Prelude to Axanar, and was actually angry at CBS and Paramount's attempts to block this or other fan made projects. Anyway, I hope Axanar will eventually be made.

13. urbandefault

urbandefault Commodore Commodore

14. Firebird

Firebird Captain Captain

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    That implies he's capable of feeling either emotion or self-reflection.

RedForman likes this.
  15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope springs eternal.
    (It won't get made)

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Commodore Commodore

NO REFUNDS. :techman:

dmac likes this.
  17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Go back over the previous pages and you may come to decide that your anger is misplaced.

KennyB likes this.
  18. dmac

dmac Captain Captain

What do you mean by "Not a comedy writer"? That was my 1st chuckle of the week.

JRTStarlight and jespah like this.
  19. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sounds like a lot more work than you telling me why, if you're so sure my anger is misplaced, not that I'd insist you take that time. But if I'm wrong, and CBS and/or Paramount aren't hypocritically and selectively applying their hastily concocted and seemingly draconian guidelines for fan fiction, I'm not sure it would change my opinion that Prelude To Axanar was pretty damn good, and preventing the Axanar project, or other Trek fan fiction from going forward unhindered, is a disservice to Trek fans everywhere, and would only likely serve to attenuate future fan growth and perhaps diminish the regular cross section of movie goers who love the genre, and thereby lessen the number of available Trek fans, old and new, which could only tend to decrease their box office receipts. Conversely, encouraging fan fiction, or at least leaving it alone, would likely grow the fan base and increase their own returns - Herbert.

20. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I'm not interested in changing your opinion about Prelude. In fact , I share it and was hoping for a really good feature. What I feel is misplaced is your anger at those "draconian" guidelines. The CBS guidelines are far more lenient than the law allows, which is total shutdown of anything that infringes on IP. Copyright protections give copyright holders a guarantee that they will be the only ones that profit off their property. The law does not require copyrights to be vigorously or uniformly enforced. When a production group is cooperative and pro-active in making it obvious that they are using any money they have on the production and not lining their pockets it's easier to look the other way. When a group claims some sort of right to use an IP as "theirs" by right of fandom and repeatedly calls itself an "independent" production, then tries to use funds from commercial fund-raising sites to start up a profit-making venture it's going to be looked at differently.