CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

67 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, savory, please

35 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. Yes, any kind

66 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

30 vote(s)
    19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This does appear to be the perspective, yes. And, as you note, the fans have a deep devotion to this franchise which makes them far more sensitive to the lack of continuity within the product. Which is why I think things like Axanar hit so close to home is because there is a passion for the product in fan productions that is going to be lacking in CBS productions. And, honestly, I think that passion covers a multitude of sins because they at least appear to care while CBS does not.

So, as much as I think fans want good stories I think they also want, as you say, a lot of sentimental feelings, and passion towards the franchise. And that usually looks like trying to recreate the past.

2. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

OTOH that "care" is mostly expressed in fawning devotion to the letter of the law (continuity) and not the spirit of the law (the underlying anti-war, humanist message of the show). So fans of a certain stripe can point to this surface adherence to the rules and say "true Trek!" while ignoring that under the surface it's nothing of the kind.

3. Cancel Culture

Cancel Culture Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ There's probably a story in the idea that the seeds of Garth's madness were laid by the conflict he experienced between Federation values and the necessities thrust upon him by the circumstances of war. Garth is, after all, ultimately a tragic figure. I agree that evident aim of the film about him being to glorify his exploits is contrary to the themes universally prevalent in Star Trek canon.

4. Omega-Trekker

Omega-Trekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is Axanar good writing? I'm no judge, but after trying to watch Discovery, and giving up on it, I thought Prelude to Axanar was a good story, and looked great. Again, I'm no critic, but it appeared better than some of the Trek I've seen from Hollywood. Can you please everyone all the time? No, but to me any decent Trek is better than no Trek at all.

5. The Return of Zombie Cheerleader

The Return of Zombie Cheerleader Moar Nu Trek Pleeze Premium Member

Was there a story in Prelude?

6. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd Commander Red Shirt

Ok Alec...

Therin of Andor, Coops and feek61 like this.
  7. Omega-Trekker

I thought so, the rise of Earth on the interstellar stage, how the expansion of the Federation irritated the Klingons, basically the lead up to part two with character development in a documentary like format. How the diversity of the different Federation races and their differing fighting tactics frustrated the Klingons...

8. Cancel Culture

Everything you've mentioned there, except the characters being interviewed for the documentary, is backstory in Prelude, not story.

Ryan Thomas Riddle and feek61 like this.
  9. Omega-Trekker

A story nonetheless. Point is, I liked it, other people's mileage may vary.

10. Cancel Culture

No problem. Some of us were just curious what people found appealing about Axanar (and/or Prelude). You like the backstory.

11. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Prelude to Axanar is a gussied up trailer. That's it.

Firebird, MikeH92467, feek61 and 3 others like this.
  12. No Grave Found

No Grave Found Admiral Admiral

What story did Prelude have? It was a 'background' explanation video of some made up military science fantasy tactical BS. We saw a few talking heads and some video game cutscene level VFX. Yep 'Real Trek' there...not.

feek61 and Cancel Culture like this.
  13. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prelude does a good job as a gussied up trailer of showing just enough to allow the audience to fill in the gaps. It ticks all the feel good boxes of Star Trek (Constitution class, proud speeches, Klingons) to really give a grander sense of the world. As trailer, it sells itself effectively.

14. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anybody here remember Red Omega? Just sayin'

KennyBoo, Stevil2001 and feek61 like this.
  15. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did love seeing that D-7 crashing into the colony city- had to wait for years to see something like that again in ST-ID...
    The PtA SFX may not be movie theater quality, but for a fan film I think they were pretty good

16. No Grave Found

No Grave Found Admiral Admiral

You have it the other way around. STID did the shot first (with the U.S.S. Vengence). Tobias Richter basically re-did a version of that shot on whatever software he was using AFTER seeing said similar shot in STID.

That's another thing that cracked me up - Alec Peters (at that time) supposedly HATED all aspects of JJ Abrams 'Star Trek', yet the people working for him/with him on prelude cribbed from BOTH JJ Films for numerous ship designs and VFX scene composition. :wtf::lol:

(Oh, and to Alec Peters you'd be a 'Hater' as his production wasn't a 'fan film'...he promoted it as the first fully independent Star Trek 'feature film...and said (in 2014) he would be able to do it "faster/cheaper/better".

Even if yo9u say "Well, he was stopped in production for 1 year with the CBS/Paramount lawsuit; of which he lost/caved in that he said he'd never give in...he'd take it to the SCOTUS!...and Axanar would be a full length 2 hour film - yet in the settlement, he agreed to the majority of the fan film guidelines - got an exception in that he could use the professional actors that were seen in Prelude; BUT he also agreed to it being two 15 minute segments...so yeah, he effectively LOST the case....

But yeah as of January 2017 - he was clear to continue production; and in the 5 years since, made what? a couple of 3 minute promos - and even Johnathan Lane has effectively made a small Axanar feature in the interim 4 year period from 2017 to today.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Steve Roby and Cancel Culture like this.
  17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

Prelude to Axanar is just a bunch of talking heads and lumbering space ships pew pewing all over the place. That's not a story.

Bixby, Firebird, Daddy Todd and 4 others like this.
  18. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're right- got the releases reversed.

19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s pretty for a fan film but that’s about it.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

All style and no substance.