CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

67 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Yes, savory, please

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Yes, any kind

66 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

You’re right, of course. Just tired of the juvenile nature of both sides that seem to have more of a stake in this (other than at TBBS... at least there’s some maturity here.)

KennyB likes this.
  2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

That is scary!

RedForman likes this.
  3. Campe

Right?!?:guffaw:

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

This is in no way a promotion of Axa Monitor per se- but yeah Carlos P. pretty much sums it up in a neat package.

The hilarious thing is, It seems the director who just left had a production company who is helping Peters actually film the thing. Said director has now stated all the footage they shot and the script he helped complete our under his copyright, and Peters can't use any of the footage shot or the current version of the Axanar script itself.:guffaw:
    https://mailchi.mp/6d84b00e8fbf/axanar-loses-third-director-youtube-channel?e=[UNIQID]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    RedForman likes this.
  5. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Over? not a chance. This is a reason for a new fundraiser to replace the money, effort, and time that Jenkins "stole" from the project.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. Krandor

This is really the big deal here. Not just the footage but the reputation. Jenkins is a big name especially in Georgia and the Georgia film industry. That press release of his is devestating to Peters and Peters trying to do must of anything in the Georgia film industry. Jenkins and his company is not a name you want calling you our like he just did.

RedForman and KennyB like this.
  7. Campe

Somebody’s gotta pay the mortgage.

KennyB likes this.
  8. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is the release:
    [​IMG]

9. Krandor

10. KennyB

He may have...... I’d be shocked if Axanar is as classy.

Campe likes this.
  11. Krandor

[​IMG]

KennyB likes this.
  12. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wait, how can they claim copyright on materials that are derivative works of copyrighted works they don't have a license to? And why would anyone running a fan film project give him and his company the copyright to the film they're producing in the first place? My understanding is that, typically, when you're working under contract, the copyright belongs to the company for whom the work it done. If I had someone rewriting a script, be first thing I'd do is make him sign a document saying that I had either the copyright or a license to it that permitted derivative works.

RedForman, SITZKRIEG! and Sgt_G like this.
  13. KennyB

You knew would involve lawyers.

14. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

"Spent thirteen months fighting CBS and Paramount to a draw..."

15. Krandor

Not sure but Jenkins has his own studio so I expect he knows what he's talking about. It really will come down to what is in the contract between them and it would be funny if Jennkins got LFIM to sign a bad contract.

The other issue is where is the footage. My bet would be Jenkins has it based on he stuff between Peters and Terry so if Jenkins has it and doesn't want to give it to Alec then it will have to go to court as a contract dispute. I'm not sure I want that if I'm LFIM. Jenkins is very well connected in Georgia and I think he could get much better lawyers then anything LFIM has.

KennyB likes this.
  16. Krandor

And you win that bet...

17. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm, was this basically a handshake deal, where the two parties had different ideas of what the terms were? Kinda feels like it.
    Did he honestly think he could just claim that the project couldn't use footage they'd already shot and then just quietly "move on"?

18. Krandor

I would think somebody like Jenkins would have a contract drawn up. I don't know for sure but I would think he would. It isn't the first production he's worked on. He likely has a bunch of contracts already drawn up he's used in the past that could be changed around for this. So I have a hard time seeing somebody like that working on a handshake agreement. It is possible but I find it unlikely.

KennyB likes this.
  19. KennyB

Jenkins is a pro. His crew worked the shoot. I feel pretty certain Paul has his ass covered and possession of the footage. Alec can never find his hard drives.

RedForman and feek61 like this.
  20. Campe

Is there a link? Not showing up on their page for me.

ETA- Nevermind, apparently ‘twas deleted.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020