News CBS files trademark for new series STAR TREK: RELIANT

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Gepard, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

In some other perfect timeline, Star Trek DESTINY (part I) celebrates the first ten years of the modern, deeply interconnected Star Trek cinematic universe with the chilling twist ending where 60 billion Federation citizens are killed by the Borg.

2. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

I was thinking they could re-create the ship design, have some of those superhumans sat in a mess hall, on board the Reliant, whilst they are waiting for the Enterprise - talking about how Khan rose to power on Earth, during the Eugenics Wars, and that leads into flashbacks.

I was just trying to find a way to set it on board the Reliant so the name would make sense, and we know Nicholas Meyer is developing a Khan programme/film for CBS, and is having to deal with the legal issues because Wrath of Khan is a Paramount/Viacom thing.

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree Destiny makes more sense for Picard than Reliant. But I fear a Picard show named Destiny may wind up trying to take a complex character and turn him into a generic 'legend', just like the spin-offs continually tried to do with Kirk. If that is the Picard show, please, please do not make it about Picard having some grand destiny to save the universe or some such bs.

(Funnily enough, Destiny actually also makes more sense for Khan than Reliant... Maybe Reliant is just something else entirely...)

picardjean-luc likes this.
  4. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole framing narrative of TNG is that humans, and Picard specifically, are of interest to a race of omnipotent superbeings. Picard already did have a grand destiny to save the universe - in All Good Things...

Personally I'd love the new series to pick up the never-ending trial.

5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, so ST:R is more than likely Meyer's Khan story, I'll give it a chance :)
    ST:Destiny? Oh my hope of Hopes that it is the Destiny book series!! What came after can be fudged, but that book sereies to me is needed to be put cannon.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I’m pretty sure Star Trek: Reliant and Star Trek: Destiny will have nothing whatsoever to do with Khan or a novel series.

RedAlert likes this.
  7. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

Like a Happy Days episode when they sat around Mel's reminiscing about past episodes.

XCV330 likes this.
  8. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

I guess so, yea. I think as a framing device for a Khan story, it ties it into canon, whilst still re-casting Khan as a character.

9. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

NCC-1864 was around in the TOS era undergoing repairs, so it wasn't fresh off the assembly line, by the events of Court Marshall. It probably had more captains than Terrell. If they want to do a series based on that USS Reliant, it doesn't have to involve Khan at all, unless that's the final episode. "So Ceti Alpha 6.. make sure we don't hit the 5th planet.. it's not there? Well that's odd. I see one through 4. I gues the chart's wrong.. there isn't one. I wonder how that happened. No matter. To Ceti Alpha 6!" end credits.

Syd Shanshala and RedAlert like this.
  10. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

Sure if they were doing a series about a starship named Reliant, it need not feature Kahn.

The difference here is the fact that we know about two projects currently being worked on. The Picard series that many is linking to "Star Trek: Reliant" and then Nicholas Mayer is working on (currently on pause because of the CBS Viacom negotiations) that is related to Khan.

We have two candidates for names thanks to copyright filings, so which name goes with which project is up for discussion :)

Syd Shanshala and RedAlert like this.
  11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Those projects were always in their infancy and could be changed at any time. We're in the time period right now where Discovery was supposed to be an Anthology series taking place in many time periods.

But you're probably right. I still think though that Picard shows up in Calypso. It was one of his yacht's name, so there is that.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    That part of Bryan Fuller's pitch for ST: D was never accepted by CBS.

13. caseylee4ts

caseylee4ts Lieutenant Red Shirt

How are you "pretty sure" about anything at this point? All we have are trademark filings and some ideas about what's in the works. I think the only people who can be said to be "pretty sure" about anything at this point are the people developing these ideas. Unless... unless you're one of the people developing these ideas... :shifty:

14. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Maybe Destiny could be the name of a Picard series that deals with the aftermath of the Destiny book series rather than the book series itself.

But I'm thinking maybe TV Destiny doesn't have anything to do with book Destiny or Picard, and is actually the animated series which ends up being completely different...maybe.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because I’m an intelligent guy who doesn’t automatically try to find strenuous connections to other things based solely on a word?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  16. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

The word association is just a thought experiment really. The facts are that there are two confirmed trek shows being developed, and two names have been registered as trademarks. It is sensible to presume the names were chosen to apply to the projects that have had the most development work done on them.

Not 100% set in stone that the registered names are linked to either the two shows in development, or the other shows that are rumoured to be under consideration.

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Following the Genesis explosion, a second smaller part of the Mutara Nebula formed into another planet. The remains of Khan were reanimated by the Genesis wave, and mysteriously the Reliant was brought to life as a human-sized lifeform. They spent the show arguing about whether they should call their new planet Mutara Alpha V or Mutara Alpha VI. It's the Odd Couple for the 21st century.

Yeah, like that Star Wars movie about the blue harvest. Project names don't necessarily correlate to anything.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My best friend had a Blue Harvest rain coat that someone involved in the production of the Endor scenes gave him. The guy wasn't a fan but he knew my friend was.

19. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Any chance it'll be based on the "Destiny" Trek novel series, albeit loosely?

Here's the synopsis of the series, based on Memory Alpha, http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Destiny:
    The Borg return – with a vengeance! Blitzkrieg attacks by the single-minded aliens with their hive mentality and their mission to assimilate every intelligent being they encounter are leaving whole worlds aflame. No one knows how they are slipping past Starfleet's defenses, so Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew are detailed to find out – and to put a stop to it if they can. Meanwhile, thousands of light years away, Captain Will Riker and the crew of the Titan follow bizarre energy pulses to a mysterious, hidden world. There they find a figure out of legend: a Starfleet captain long thought dead. And at the same time, over in the Gamma Quadrant, newly-promoted Captain Dax and her crew investigate the wreck of the Earth starship Columbia NX-02, missing in action for more than two centuries.

If it's following the novels, that means Picard will return to Starfleet due to a renewed threat from the Borg and because of his past experiences with them (from "Best of Both Worlds" and "First Contact") he's holding the key to stop the threat once and for all.

Sounds intriguing but isn't it repetitive by reusing 'the Borg threatening the Federation" plot over again??

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

no

The Wormhole likes this.