CBS and Paramount officially back together

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Amasov, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

https://web.archive.org/web/2002040...m=Enterprise&number=28&DaysPrune=2&LastLogin=

Posts include

bashers not wrong, but missing the point
    Gusher In Danger of Turning Into Basher
    The real reasons why bashers hate Enterprise
    Why is ENT afraid to take risks?
    Is it just me, or is the NX-01 bridge clunky looking?
    A theory on holo-technology
    A list of people working on ENT that should be fired
    Bashers! learn to be more objective.
    What is the deal with T'Pol's ears?
    The good old days

And my favourite title

ENT is CANNON and has NEVER violated continuity!!!

Even before it aired

https://web.archive.org/web/2001060...m=Enterprise&number=28&DaysPrune=2&LastLogin=

Wanted: Intelligent writers for Enterprise.
    Canon vs. suspending disbelief opinions?
    Would anyone care if B/B did away with the not seeing romulan face thing?
    Could or would B & B rewrite canon?
    How long are you willing to wait before you switch off?
    Canon: Wait Till all TOSers Die, then no one will know!
    Time Travel!! The easiest way to excuse Enterprise canon mishaps

antinoos and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Captain Captain

it's generally nice that people care. some care more about ships, others care more about events, others only care about characters... but I think even the 'bashers' do so because they care.

3. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was around back then and I wasted no time in pointing that out. I don't know if you've seen the Deep Space Nine doc, What We Left Behind, but, it opens up with the actors reading the hate mail the show got. I got a huge laugh at that just because of how universally-acclaimed DS9 is by the fans.

How quickly we forget.

antinoos, Turtletrekker and Blooded like this.
  4. Amasov

Man, thank you so much for digging this up.

This one is my favorite because all you need to do is switch out the words Enterprise with Discovery and it's basically the exact same complaint.

Where...just...OH WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS BEFORE?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Alan Roi, antinoos and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Possibly, but text based interactions miss a lot of context clues. So, if a basher is doing it because they care the caring part is lost because of rather unfeeling text.

And before anyone states "Well, they wouldn't be on a Trek Forum is they didn't care about Trek!" I have been on Trek RPG forums were some players were not Trek fans but just enjoyed the interaction. Caring about Trek is not a given, at least for me.

6. yotsuya

yotsuya Captain Captain

One question... Why? It worked incredibly well in Through a Mirror Darkly. Why would it not work now? Why is the clean design a bad thing? There are ways to subtly enhance it (like they did in that story) that ups the technology level without actually changing any major design. Everything should have a logic point and the point of Jefferies designs was everything be clean and smooth. And there was plenty of room to make new sets. We've only seen a fraction of any of the ships in Trek.

If they wanted to stick to the prime timeline there are plenty of resources to help them do that. They deviated as much storywise as they did visually. Some of their mistakes are so basic that it is obvious they just don't care. Maybe they might have originally intended to do one thing, but it is the end result I'm judging on and the end result is a mess that contradicts previous canon and is incompatible with their stated objective of following the original timeline. They already haven't.

7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The point of the earlier times we saw the TOS designs was nostalgia or camp however. You cannot build an entire series off of that.

Alan Roi and Turtletrekker like this.
  8. fireproof78

For a one off episode its fine.

For an on going series that is meant to draw in new audiences it doesn't work as well. Look at how the visuals are already being torn apart bit by bit.

Finally, as much as I love Star Trek, it is meant to be an imagining of our future, of humanity's future. It isn't a galaxy far, far, away. It is based in very real understanding of humanity. Updating the look is par for the course in Trek.

If nothing else, treat it like a reboot. If the powers that be supposedly don't care, why should we care what they say?

Alan Roi, Amasov and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with all of this. That said, there's no reason why "future design" needs to be a straight line, and must be a straight extrapolation of current design trends. Maybe there's a big retro-Victorian era where (inflammable) wood paneling on spaceships is all the rage? I mean, the sky is the limit in terms of design choices, and something which doesn't feel so...generic...may be more iconic.

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. yotsuya

yotsuya Captain Captain

I do treat it as a reboot. I wish they would do a Pike's Enterprise series.

11. fireproof78

But, that series won't be any closer to TOS.

12. yotsuya

yotsuya Captain Captain

If it is a reboot, who cares. I love reboots. I hate trying to append on something that is clearly a reboot to something classic.

13. Amasov

If they do, I'm going to tell you something right now, it's going to use the sets of the Enterprise that were built already. It's not going to be designed using the TOS look. So, as far as you are concerned, it's another reboot.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. Amasov

If they recreate the Enterprise sets in exact detail from The Cage era, is there going to be complaining that Jeffery Hunter, Majel Roddenberry, and Leonard Nimoy weren't risen from the dead? Because I see recasting an actor in a role not that different than updating of a set aesthetic.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Captain Captain

Recasting doesn't double the head size or add eyes :b

16. Amasov

Since you're so hellbent on trying to discredit the powers that be to not caring about continuity, allow me to pull something from Memory Alpha from the background info section of the Voyager episode Dark Frontier.

You have right there, spelled out, the writers from a previous Trek administration willing to throw out continuity for the sake of their story. Yet somehow in your mind, this is ok. If Discovery's team did this exact thing, it's totally unforgivable.

Look forward to your moving of the goalpost.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  17. fireproof78

If Discovery's team does anything it's bad.

burningoil, Alan Roi and Amasov like this.
  18. yotsuya

yotsuya Captain Captain

It is amusing how you keep equating relatively minor continuity issues found sporatically through the 27 seasons and 10 movies to the quite major continuity issues found throughout Discovery. Very amusing.

And I would very much like to see what I consider a reboot of Pike/No 1/Spock/Enterprise as its own series. And I am stumped why calling it a reboot results in such arguments? It is visually different and they have changed many other things about the continuity so why isn't it a reboot is a better question. I find it strange that you insist that it isn't a reboot. I think the Discovery story is very weak and I don't care for it or the characters they created. But I have loved the reboot Pike and crew and want to see more and I'm not alone.

NCC-73515 and Phoenix219 like this.
  19. fireproof78

I see it as a visual reboot. I don't see the major continuity issues that others do.

SurvivorJoe, antinoos and Alan Roi like this.