Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by spinnerlys, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I liked the episode. It had a nice balance of the trademark Castle silliness with a little romance and the mildest of cliffhangers given that we all know the show's been renewed. It opens up the possibility of shaking up the show a little bit next season by taking Castle and Beckett out of the precinct and cutting them off from their support base. All I ask is that they don't leave Beckett thinking that Rick's dead for long.

Jan

2. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amen! It was also trite and cliche. The Glades did this two years ago! In one season finale of The Glades the lead male proposes to the lead female and you don't get an answer until the next season. In the next season finale of The Glades the
    The lead female is dressed in her wedding gown waiting for the lead male. The lead male is attacked on the way to the wedding.
    Does this sound familiar!?! With all the wedding planning during the season, I was half afraid the Castle writers would pull something like this with the finale, than I dismissed the idea as too over done. The horse is dead I think they can stop beating it now! :scream::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: :scream:

Also, How the hell are we supposed to believe that this
    first marriage
    went undetected when she was being vetted for her federal job working with the Justice Department? The only answer here is sloppy writing! :thumbdown:

I'm pissed!:brickwall:

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Alexis becoming Beckett's apprentice and solving crimes alongside her? That would be really cool. I'm in.

Everybody today celebrates serialized storytelling as this great improvement over episodic storytelling, but the truth is that it can be done badly just like any other category of fiction. All too often, serialization is used as an excuse to avoid having to come up with satisfying resolutions to anything, to just keep the story in a perpetual second act and never really finish anything.

Hmm, I didn't even think of that. Good catch. But then, this show has long since stopped pretending it's set in a world that makes any kind of sense. The "Let's dress up the precinct like the '70s" episode certainly drove that home.

4. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

A series that gets toxicology and DNA results in about 30 minutes doesn't stretch your suspension of disbelief and yet you expect a mythological background check to catch an old marriage? Right.

C'mon, aren't we taking a lighthearted romp of a show way too seriously? It's not a procedural, it's a comedy.

Jan

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

TVLine has a new article up and I love this line...

Do we care? Yes, until this episode. We clearly care more than the writers do about the characters actually acting like themselves.

And do we trust them? Fuck no. Look at the mess of a finale we are getting.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's main story was a wacky Three's Company episode, and ended like season 3 of Downton Abbey. I'm not sure the writers are even trying anymore.

7. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone with a family member who is or has been in law enforcement stretches their suspension of disbelief with every episode of any crime drama they watch. However, with each piece of criminal history added for comic effect the situation just became more ludicrous.

We began the season with Beckett as a Federal Agent for the US attorney General's office. For a job like that they don't just do a background check, they scrub it, climbing up your ass and the ass of everyone you know. This would have been discovered in a background check done for a state LE position. This would have been discovered in the background check done when she was hired by the NYPD. Beckett is a LEO meaning she has had Federal background checks! I expect her to have had background checks just like I expect her to have gone through firearms training and certification! It's an integral part of her JOB! :rolleyes:

Even with all of that if they had kept this a lighthearted romp
    with a satisfying ending, I would have overlooked it. However, don't insult my intelligence and then add insult to injury by not bothering to finish the story and instead just stringing it out (especially with a predictable 'plot twist' I've seen in other shows countless times, for example "The Glades"). I had been hoping against hope since last September that they would not pull this predictable 'plot twist.' Head meet desk. :brickwall:

They're all trying to recapture lightning in a bottle and be the next "Who shot JR?" But, it will never happen that way because it has already been done before.

Very well said! :techman:

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

8. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Amen! :techman:

That's where I stand on it too. We'd trust you guys if you guys actually put in some effort into the writing, instead of just putting out half-baked stuff.

Very well put, Whoa Nellie. It's definitely a /facepalm moment, that's for sure. I was hoping as well that they wouldn't pull a stupid move... guess that was just too high a bar... :(

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

You know.. back in the season 3 finale i was glued to the screen and when the final moments aired i was on edge and on fire to find out what happens after it (i knew she survived obviously being a lead on the show). I dove on every interview and other piece of information and fall couldn't come soon enough so i could see the story continue.

This one? Left me utterly cold.. i even knew Castle would have an accident when that black SUV turned up and it was a mere 2-3 minutes before the end of the episode with no "I do!" done.

While the "case" was mildly interesting (the resolution was kinda ingenious though) the finale itself was not. I have said it already many times but the spark of the show has died out sometime season 5 (at least for me).

From the TV Line Interview:

It is still a version of it, something we've seen many times before. It's not novel, it's not interesting and it's just boring and not exciting (especially when in the same interview they confirm Castle isn't dead.. if this were Game of Thrones i'd be worried but not with Castle so what's the point?).

Others have said it.. it's like the writers don't care anymore and now the producer takes center stage and actually tries to sell this as the best idea ever! :rolleyes:

I remember the time in the show where the simple act of Castle taking Beckett's hand was exciting and the tension between them was palpable. Where Castle was this goofball out to annoy Beckett for fun but underneath you could you see flashes of high intelligence coupled with an attention to detail and awareness that could rival Sherlock Holmes at times.

For the last seasons we have seen Castle devolve into an attachment of Beckett following her around and just being present without contributing much and often enough developing traits that were inconsistent with his character established before (remember how he cold read Beckett in the show pilot hitting absolute bullseye concerning her past.. that guy is long gone from the show).

Now i really hope the 7th season will be its last and i have a dreadful feeling they'll get married in the show finale for some contrived reason. Well.. i still have my seasons 1-4 around to get some old Castle fix in now and then.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Andrew W. Marlowe Steps Down As Showrunner

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, at this point, a fresh voice taking over as showrunner might be what the show needs.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was thinking about starting a new topic for season 7 with that news, because that is much welcome news.

13. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe. Hopefully it'll make a difference.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Do it. New threads are starting to pop up for upcoming seasons of shows over in SF&F so we might as well continue the trend.