Case dismissed! Discovery and Tardigrade game "not similar"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by PicardSpeedo, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Untitled Hallmark Sequel

Untitled Hallmark Sequel Have An Awesome Possum Holiday Moderator

Trapped In An Overly Decorated Small Town
    Exactly, it ruins it for everyone and likely scares off new fans.

fireproof78 and XCV330 like this.
  2. XCV330

XCV330 A Being of Pure Caffeine Premium Member

I know its in my personality to be scrappy, but one thing I have always liked about trek is that its this big largely optimistic universe that can unite us.That reactionary hatred coupled with this underlying feeling of the threat of loss of priviledged standing (and more gently, just the unease of "the world isn't like it used to be" that most anyone can feel from time to time) is just a breeding ground for the toxin.

We'll survive it and beat it because the things that united us are stronger than the filth that would shackle us. The people who fall for it are sadly doomed. The acid they spew is the terminal breath of a dying world.

3. King Bob!

King Bob! History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Why I’m perfectly happy to keep most of my Trek discussions to this board.

cultcross and XCV330 like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

As much as these attitudes bother me I do credit the opportunity for bringing them to light for what they are as part of the reason why I have optimism regarding humanity. Yeah, it's a long journey but birth is rarely easy.

XCV330 likes this.
  5. XCV330

one might say it's been a long road.. getting from there to here.. oh Lord.. no save me..I'm singing Enterprise..noooo

RichardW, Ovation, Masiral and 2 others like this.
  6. Trinity Jinglebrocks

Trinity Jinglebrocks All hail Doctor 13 Premium Member

I agree with that. This is a nice friendly board :) well nearly all the time.

I was on a Facebook group called "Star Trek Discovery Fans" which mysteriously vanished a week after season 2 ended and that was sort of in the middle as far as toxic people. Most of the bitching was about SMG being cast as Michael Burnham. But nup no big loss that it's gone this board is more fun and enjoyable..

XCV330 likes this.
  7. 1.21 Gigawatts

1.21 Gigawatts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoy you all very much! Great people! :adore:

XCV330 likes this.
  8. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Oh I agree. I also hate when motives are assigned to you, regardless of any intimate knowledge..simply based on a post you wrote, and yet somehow that is an overall over arching indicator of who your supposedly supposed to be. As if 1 or 2 statements defines us as human beings...unreal

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, everybody knows that ya have to do at least ten, 30 minute to an hour long semi-factual videos on FB and/or YT to be defined by your peers as being "in-the-know"..
    <chuckle>
    :whistle:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    seigezunt and fireproof78 like this.
  10. XCV330

Ah, those poor downtrodden misunderstood folks.
    Mod edit: Video and related comment at end removed. You made your point extremely well without that just by using his own words.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2019
    Pindar, Blamo, seigezunt and 10 others like this.
  11. DaveyNY

I think these paragraphs from the interview kinda-sorta blows any "Kurtzman Fired" headline waaaay outta the water...

"Star Trek: Discovery is now just the first of many Trek projects in the works for CBS and CBS All Access — as the header image of this news update illustrates! — but it also served to (hopefully) stimulate new growth as the franchise continues to expand — and in an interesting set of remarks, Kurtzman notes that this seems to be working… and that he’s got potential plans to keep things growing for the next “five or ten years.”

KURTZMAN: I went to CBS and I said, “I think you have a universe here that is very under-utilized, and a fan base that I think is hungry for a lot more.” And I walked them through the plan of what I saw for the next five to ten years of ‘Trek.’

Part of it was, kind of, premised on the idea that it was going to take time. What I said was, “Don’t expect us to put the first thing out, and suddenly, you know, you’re have 100 million new fans. That’s not gonna happen.” ‘Trek’ has been around for too long for that to happen — but but what we do have is new generations, and what I can tell you is that ‘Trek,’ in general, finds people when they’re about between nine and twelve.

It’s never reached younger than that; it’s never tried to, and to me that’s a hugely missed opportunity, especially because what you’re really trying to do is influence hearts and minds with really positive messages — messages about who we can be as a species and as people and what our future is. So why not start young, you know? And not for a cynical reason. Not because you know, hey, let some more toys, but because if you really want ‘Star Trek’ to reach people, then you’ve got to start young.

And this is where I guess the ‘Star Wars’ influence on me really mattered, because as a kid at four years old, I could imagine myself starting up with a twin suns of Tattooine and wondering what my life was. ‘Trek’ didn’t give me that same thing — it gave me Wesley Crusher, it gave me different characters, but again, those are older characters.

But we are definitely seeing just metric proof that the fan base is growing, and it’s growing younger — and yet, we’re keeping our current fans, and that’s great."

:techman:

i JUST REALIZED THAT I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG DAMN THREAD...
    <HEAD SMACK>
    :alienblush:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    NeoStar9, Ovation, ozzfloyd and 2 others like this.
  12. The Santalorian

The Santalorian THIS IS THE SLEIGH Moderator

This is a text-based medium. Complaining that people are assigning motives to you based simply on the things you say when that is their only available option seems pretty daft. If you feel you have been misunderstood (you have not), then you should endeavour to improve your communications skills as soon as possible. Maybe spend less time indulging in your constant sense of white male fragility and negativity and more time learning to convey your thoughts in a more reasonable manner.

Furthermore, as ably demonstrated by XCV330's comprehensive post above, this is not one or two scattered statements taken out of context or misinterpreted with you, but rather a relentless and baseless obsession with cisgender straight white male oppression in media that constantly derails threads and results in your ridiculous arguments being factually disproven by statistics time and time again. It's not an opinion. You are factually incorrect. White men are not oppressed, downtrodden or being supplanted in media en masse.

You need to grow up and move on and find a more constructive hobby, or just sit back and enjoy the shows or not on their own merits rather than how much it bruises your ego that the minorities and gays and others are getting "uppity" by existing in greater numbers than before and having speaking parts. Or at the very least keep it to yourself, because we've heard it all before ad nauseam from you and others and we're tired of the shitposting in every other discussion thread. You're not converting people, you're just making the forum a more unpleasant place to be because we have to wade through all the nonsense to get to actual conversation relevant to the show.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    "Toxic" never had much of a meaning - it's a broad catch-all for things that can be better identified and differentiated. I had a friend years ago who had only one descriptor for bad feelings: stressed. Never sad, or angry, or frustrated with something, never anything specific that required some minimal introspection to identify. Just "stressed." Calling behavior "toxic" is like that.

14. Untitled Hallmark Sequel

Untitled Hallmark Sequel Have An Awesome Possum Holiday Moderator

Trapped In An Overly Decorated Small Town
    Toxic currently has a widely agreed on definition, especially in regards to toxic behavior, toxic masculinity and toxic fandom. It details an exact kind of behavior and differentiates from the standard behavior, in this case fandom. Do not blame the phrase because you’re uninformed, you’re on the Internet and can google it.

Since you won’t, I’ll do it for you.
    It does get thrown around a lot, but only because it’s rampant on the Internet in forums, social media and anywhere fans gather. How many posters think they know Star Trek better than CBS or the show runners? How many are still bitter than a fan production wasn’t made official? How many have dedicated a portion of their lives to stalk and harass people associated with one fan productions, other fan forums and even people on the same forum for differences in opinion?

15. starsuperion

Yes, you're very good at going back and quoting past statements. Cookie earned. I also have a safe space set aside with unicorns.

16. starsuperion

You lost all credibility after the "white male fragility" comment. Can't see how such a comment isnt racist..but whatever..

17. King Bob!

King Bob! History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

How is it racist?

18. The Santalorian

The Santalorian THIS IS THE SLEIGH Moderator

Because, as has been explained to you countless times, white men are not being oppressed. It's the difference between punching up and punching down. It's why calling a white man a cracker is mostly considered laughable or inconsequential by the person being called that themselves while a white man calling a black man the n-word is not. Your failure to understand the contextual difference is at the very heart of why you keep running into these problems, because you seem to be under the erroneous impression that everything is taking place on an equal playing field.
    You tried to make it sound as if you had only made a couple of comments about race and sex and how that was being unfairly used to judge you as a person. XCV330 pointed out that those are in fact the dominant strain of your posts around the board which has given you a well-earned reputation for racism and sexism because that is literally the only thing anyone here has to judge you by. If you want to change attitudes, stop saying racist and sexist things. It's pretty simple, really. It might take some time, because you've built up a lot of ill will, but if you genuinely want to change, then more power to you. I don't believe you do, however, and your crap about unicorns and safe spaces doesn't make a convincing argument that you ever have any intention of changing.

Now, you had your chance to respond, so get back on the topic of the court case or get out of the thread.

19. DaveyNY

Nothing yet from the Judge that I can find on the court sites I watch.

20. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really an accurate description of what is going on. If it were simply a matter of reasoned debate ... but it is not.

I think the involvement of YouTube shit-stirrers, trolling hate clicks for dollars, is an increasingly horrible influence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.