Captain Marvel (2019)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Jul 24, 2016.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Silent Film era?

OCD Geek and crookeddy like this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Such a time never existed. You just didn't have access to the people that did this kind of crap.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I just wish CBR and other sites would stop using that godawful photoshop of Larson in every Captain Marvel article .

jbny67 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know; how much do you want to bet they only invented the talkies to drown out the hecklers?

Greg Cox, The Wormhole and jbny67 like this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

One of the many reasons why I don't read sites like that. Such garbage.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Seriously? That NOSFERATU movie is an obvious rip-off of the novel Dracula. I hear the author's widow has already filed a lawsuit . .. ."

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Heck, for all the complaints about remakes...they've been doing that since at least the 1940s when they did Phantom of the Opera with Claude Rains, a remake of the 1920s version.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, they were doing remakes long before that. Heck, Lon Chaney Sr. remade his own 1925 movie THE UNHOLY THREE as a talkie in 1930, only five years later. And if we're talking literary adaptations, there were at least three different movie versions of DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE in 1920 alone. (Audiences in 1920: "Jekyll & Hyde again? Hollywood has out of ideas!")

And THE CAT AND THE CANARY, an old Gothic melodrama based on an ever older stage play, was first filmed in 1927, remade (twice) in 1930, and again in 1939, and 1979 . . .. we're probably overdue for a new version of that one! :)

Captaindemotion and Anwar like this.
  9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the version of The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland, the one that most people consider to be the original, actually a remake?

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yup, and in fact, there were two films before the Garland film in 1939: A silent film in 1925 and an animated short in 1933.

Greg Cox and Turtletrekker like this.
  11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think some people just like to bully people with different opinions until they go away. Guess what? It isn't going to happen.

Also, I don't like getting into arguments and I don't give a shit about "attention", but claiming I do is a great tactic to try to suppress my opinion, I suppose.

Well, its not called whining. Its a legitimate grievance. There is no such costume in any media. Her Captain Marvel costume was something she designed, it was never that color and it is not a kree uniform. if she wears it at all it completely breaks the character. If she wears it for more then five minutes, its the biggest costume fuck up in the entire MCU.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Stoker ripped off Le Fanu's Carmilla, the heck with him.

Greg Cox likes this.
  13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Like anyone who isn't a comic-book fanatic cares what colour Captain Marvel's outfit is. :shrug:
    I care only that the movie doesn't suck as entertainment. Actually, I probably don't even care that much.

14. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I care about her uniform because I've seen her traditional uniform (an idiotic leotard with a sash) and I've seen her more recent uniform that the movie design is based on, albeit currently in green and white instead of red and blue (which in the proper colors is one of the best looking superhero uniforms in the history of comics). So I definitely want to see that one. But I also definitely know we will see that one, so, who cares if her first uniform is a green and white hand-me-down as long it gets replaced with the good one?

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I know it's pedantic, but I'm always a little hesitant to label adaptations of material that's already been adapted a "remake". Mostly because it always seems to infer an inherent inferiority, simply on the basis that someone else got there first. I guess "re-adaptation" would be a more accurate term?
    The 57 million versions of the likes of 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Treasure Island' are probably the prime example of this, as opposed to the likes of 'Robocop' which was an original screenplay.

It's not always so clear cut though of course, especially when an adaptation becomes more famous than the source material (see: 'Wizard of Oz', 'The Thing', 'Conan The Barbarian' etc.) Plus of course there are shot-for-shot remakes of adaptations ('Psycho' leaps to mind) where the previous film version is the primary source, not the material it's all based on.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    ATimson and Greg Cox like this.
  16. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Well maybe she have a good explanation for wearing that collor

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Hey man, it ain't Wolverine without yellow spandex!

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why does everyone forget the Tan and brown one he wore originally? That's more famous AND cooler looking than the yellow one!

Captain Craig and Turtletrekker like this.
  20. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More famous, maybe? I think that really, really depends on who you ask.

Cooler looking, no. The brown always blended into the paper and made him look cheap.