Cancel Culture is a form of Stalking.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Captain Nebula, Jun 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was talking in the context of the “cancel culture” legend. Of course online harassing is otherwise very real, as you say!

cooleddie74, BillJ and M'Sharak like this.
  2. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

The basic premise of this thread is false, as many others have ably pointed out to you.

Stalking is a heinous activity, and yes, it would be nice if the law would make more of an effort to take it seriously.

"Cancellation", insofar as it exists, is--as you admit in your own OP--a type of ostracism. It's basically people being held to account for saying or doing terrible things, which, until recently, they have been able to do or say without consequence. Just from what I've observed, people who rail about "cancel culture" seem to just be arguing that they should be able to go back to saying or doing whatever they want, no matter how awful, without any repercussions whatsoever. It's actually nice that society is finally starting to say, "no, that's not acceptable".

I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish, or what type of conversation you are trying to generate, with this thread. I did take a look at the website you provided, and it does seem to offer a lot of resources for victims of crime. Tellingly, I could not find anything that discussed anything about cancellation.

If you don't mind a bit of unsolicited advice from an outside observer: the US seems to be struggling with a lot of problems at this time. Time and energy might be better spent trying to solve some of those, before worrying about the made-up ones.

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... I'd say it's a matter of perspective. If you're the canceler, it's:
    If you're the cancelee, it's the direction of ostracism, harassment, and cruelty toward people whose opinions regarding certain matters happen to differ from an arbitrary standard, with the hope of pressuring them to adopt (or at least pretend to adopt) more "acceptable" attitudes.

Farscape One and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  5. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

And DAMMIT, that's what churches are for!

GNDN18, jackoverfull and BillJ like this.
  6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

*Facepalm*

Hurting somebody's career by making a choice not to pay to watch him on TV is the same as abusively harassing them. Right. I think you made a wrong turn at 4chan.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Show me the harassment and cruelty.

If I walked up to your best friend and called them a disgusting freak or otherwise a lesser human being for it, would you not ostracize me and refuse to watch my TV show? Refuse to work with me?

Nobody is being 'Canceled' just for 'Disagreeing'. They're being fired from their jobs because their harassment and abuse of people they disagree with makes the workplace a hostile, unwelcoming place for those people, and taken off television because people who care about those people don't want to watch them anymore.

The same thing that happened to all openly gay people for decades, by the way, and did you say anything then?

"Don't force sex on people and don't treat entire groups of people like lesser human beings" is not an "Arbitrary standard". And yes, that *is* the standard. Show me one person who is conservative who did not reach that standard and got "Canceled".

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Turtletrekker and jackoverfull like this.
  8. Avro Arrow

AKA "basic respect to a fellow human being"?

Locutus of Bored and 1001001 like this.
  9. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

It's plainly obvious that some of you didn't read that list of Stalking tactics I posted.

For all of you people who didn't read, I'm going to tell everyone you know that you are Child Molesters.

I'm offended by your lack of Reading.

The First Amendment says I can say anything I want about you when I Cancel You for Not Reading, doesn't it? You should take responsibility for your Actions or lack, thereof.

In fact, the Fifth Amendment says I get to Punish all of you without Due Process for your Offense. Just wait until you see what else I have planned.

You Offended me.

Welcome to Cancel Culture.

Who died and put ANY of you in charge of right or wrong?

I can guarantee that not one of you is a Judge.

Funny how a lot of you are pretending to be.

10. Avro Arrow

Ah. So this is how it's going to be. I don't know why I thought you were interested in actual dialogue.

Infraction for Trolling. Comments to PM.

Since this whole thread was apparently a long-form trolling, I don't see any reason to continue with it. Mea culpa for not closing it earlier.

M'Sharak, 1001001, ThankQ and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.