"Can you build a real lightsaber?" documentary by Dr Michio Kaku

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Captain Trekkie, May 5, 2019.

1. Captain Trekkie

Captain Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And that's why Kaku states it's just not currently possible, but will take decades to produce. But his digital blue print makes it possible in theory, closing his conclusion with "an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age" :cool:

SolarisOne likes this.
  2. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

So the civilized killer can get his head blown to bits with a sawed-off 12 gauge while waiting for his weapon to nobly ignite. Shotguns are the short range weapon of now and the foreseeable future.

publiusr likes this.
  3. Captain Trekkie

I'll make a note of the bolded part.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Actually, aren't knives and swords supposed to be more effective than guns at short range? I think I read it in one of one of those cheap, yellow survival manuals I picked up in Fry's when I was last in the Bay Area. Not sure if the advice is true -- my preferred mode is to run away, not to try to stab people with pointy things nor blow holes in them.

Does Kaku's design allow you to try to melt your way through metal doors for seemingly many minutes on end?

Captain Trekkie likes this.
  5. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

FBI states the mean average distance for a lethal confrontation is 7 yards. That's not a lot of distance and it can be closed in a couple of seconds at least. Just my opinion but I don't think that pulling a knife is going to be any faster at that point. Of course in a defense situation, you use what you have at hand.

6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool!

That also legitimizes every no-budget laser gun special effect, like in 1960s Doctor Who. Budgets can now be cut because in reality there's no visible pretty glow as the beam zaps everything in sight.

And when the emcee was describing the outfit, how come there was no cutaway to a catwalk? :(

Granted, wouldn't getting a robot using a diamond blade hacksaw be more green for the environment? Six of one, half-dozen of the other... there's always a reasonable and fair time and place.

7. Captain Trekkie

It does. It's over 10,000C which allows you to cut through just about anything as he states in the documentary. Besides when you're short on ammo, it's your next best bet. The last resort is hand-to-hand combat.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Well, really my comment was a flippant remark about the first Star Wars prequel. I could calculate the energy required to melt several kilograms of hardened steel but I shan't bother. I suspect no current batteries have the required energy capacity.

9. Captain Trekkie

Sorry if my comment came out the wrong way. No offense was intended. But yea, no such batteries exist. Kaku claims it'll be atleast a few more decades before we can build such a thing.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

^Don't worry. No offense taken.

11. Captain Trekkie

They're not necessarily short ranged. Hunting shotguns are medium ranged if i'm not mistaken.

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

they're very versatile depending on slugs, shot type, sabots, chokes, etc

13. Captain Trekkie

I see. As a kid I used to be very interested in guns and talked a lot about them. I had the cops guarding my house back in my country in the 90s. I was 12 then and in my 30s now. I got a lot of catching up to do.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I might still use really crappy old video, and show a flash of a timing light on really washed out footage as I lit a model from underneath to show it melt.

Now I used to think the idea of combining beams was silly.

Until...
    http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Colliding_lasers_double_the_energy_of_proton_beams_999.html
    http://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...as-the-Death-Star-s-laser-thinkgy-composed-of

As for being a planet killer....if only it were an "anti-proton beam...absolutely pure."

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Captain Trekkie

Btw our avatars are making the same gestures. :)

17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

they're fun for blowing up jugs of soda.
    everyone needs hobby :D

18. Captain Trekkie

True.:-) They also have beautiful dimensions and cool for decorations. I mean that's one aspect of beauty. The other is color. But better suited for another topic thread.

19. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

yep
    now to practical applications ..

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral