Can Michael Jackson Make a Comeback?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lookingglassman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very efficient :lol:

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Rear Admiral

Only if he drops his crazy acts. I used to love his music and I still do. To this day it is impossible for me to choose a top ten of his records because they are all so good. But I lost respect for him a long time ago. Not because of the child abuse claims but because of his antics like making his kids wear masks or wearing a Muslim dress for women. Thats just disrespectful. He needs to grow up first and then he can go on a PR offensive. Currently he is not the Michael Jackson of my childhood. The only man who could make even the strictest muslim I know would dance to his music. Oh and he needs to get some kinda facial reconstruction. He looks terrible.

You know I actually know people who would beat you up for making a comment like that about Jackson. I learnt it the hard way during the recent court cases. :guffaw:

3. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, in American, anyone can make a comeback. That said, it's very difficult to imagine for Michael Jackson - he's more famous today for being a freakshow rather than for his music.

And the pedophilia is a major problem. That crime, more than anything else, is considered unforgiveable by pretty much everyone other than, well, pedophiles.

If he does try, one thing he could do is rather than make new music (which is probably not going to sell anyway) he should start with a series of high-profile club performances, playing solely his old songs (maybe from the Jackson 5 days to Bad), in Las Vegas. If he gets good reviews and there's a sense that his old fans will come out to see him, then maybe he can consider a tour. At least he'd be making money.

4. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I agree. Once a person's bizarre, sick, and often highly questionable antics become more of an issue than their music, they are done. Especially in this case. Michael Jackson's original fanbase are now adults with kids (even teens) of their own. These parents have watched this evermore bizarre freakshow unfolding over two decades....and frankly, would have to be crazy to let their own kids purchase this guy's music.

I know that I certainly would not.

Back in the 80's we had two 'really weird guys' out there for whom we overlooked their personal weirdness because their music was so damn good: Michael Jackson and Prince.

The weirdest Prince ever got was becoming that symbol...and while everyone thought it was bizarre...it was at least bizarre in a benign sort of way. It was weird as hell, but it wasn't hurting anyone, you know?

Michael Jackson's weirdness, however, took on a totally different flavor - particularly his appetite to hang round with small children. Frankly, I'm surprised that he wasn't hauled in on pedophilia charges earlier than he was!

And pedophilia is forgiven by no one. Shoot, even on Death Row the child molesters have to be isolated from the others or they will be killed by the other prisoners. Seems even death row inmates have standards.

And then we have all of his plastic surgery..which has made him look more like a figure in a wax museum than any real living person.

And to top the whole thing off, he has the freakiest family on earth. Is there even one of them who seems mentally balanced to...well...ANYONE?

No...I think Michael Jackson is done for good.

However, I do have one question - if he is broke, I assume he must have sold all those rights to Beatles songs back to Paul McCartney.

Is that true?

I don't give a shit about Michael Jackson, but I do like Paul McCartney and hope he is able to get all the rights back to his music.....and not be dumb enough to ever get married again. :lol:

5. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope he never makes a come back. I don't like him.

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Randy Jackson seems to be ok. In all the years he's been doing American Idol I don't think he's done anything weird.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That Randy is not part of the same family as Michael, Janet and Jermaine.

8. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

:o:o:o Didn't know that.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There is a Randy who was a member of The Jacksons, but he's a different guy.

10. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One difference Jackson was already a megastar that we watched fall into darkness. Prince on the other hand was just climbing to stardom when he outed himself as weird with Purple Reign. Prince was never really normal like Jacksin was during the 70s. But besides his wardrobe his weirdness was that it was rumored that he had an affair with every woman who worked with him.

Even with his record label problems Prince continued to produce music like a 60s artist. It seemed like an alblum every three months instead of the every three years most others did.

And then the kicker with Larry Grahmn as his spiritual mentor Prince found God, through Jackson's old faith and continued to produce music, although like Donna Summer refused to do her first hit Love to Love You Baby when God spoke to her Prince also cut many hits from his playlist. And then with the triumphant Super Bowl halftime show two years ago Prince became accepted. A normal guy.

11. Stormrage

Stormrage Rear Admiral

Whats the brother who always wears sunglasses? I heard he converted to Islam and I won't deny when I heard that. I prayed to God that Michael Jackson stayed a Christian. His brother with the sunglasses is creepy but he would take the biscuit.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I think his idea of flat broke and ours might vary just a little.

I don't think he's physically well enough to work and frankly I don't think he ever will be.

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, markedly. He is in millions of dollars of debt with a multi-million dollar estate to look after. He already had to sell the Beatles back catalogue to pay of his debts on the Neverland Ranch.

This is why he needs a good album, the sort of promotional, productional and recording costs associated with releasing a Jacko album must be astronomical, and the record company only lends you that money, you have to pay it back. I'm not saying he will ever be living under a cardboard box, but a flop album at this point could cost him his home.

14. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

And sleeping with every woman he worked with differs from every other rock star how, exactly? :lol:

As for 'outing himself as weird' with Purple Rain...I assume you are talking about the fact that some of the songs (and one in particular) are so sexually explicit. But, have you listened to some of his earliest records? Darling Nicki was not exactly a big surprise to those who had been listening to his music all along...he had been working in that direction for some time.

And now Darling Nicki has been covered by The Foo Fighters. :lol:

I agree that Prince was always weird...but weird in a way that drew alot of people to him. At the time Purple Rain (the movie) came out, Prince was considered to be pretty much the sexiest guy alive by girls my age. Good LORD! All we knew was that in that movie, Prince demonstrated 'abilities' that normal guys just didn't have....nor ever would. :lol:

Meanwhile, at the same time, Michael Jackson was pretty much reinventing himself. There were a few years, if I recall, between when little Michael Jackson was known for fronting the Jackson 5 and singing Rockin Robin...to when he became Michael Jackson the megastar who put out Billie Jean and Thriller.

But I think that as soon as the very first Michael Jackson 'adult phase' album hit the market, he started getting the reputation as weird...and it built up stronger and stronger as time went on. By the time Thriller hit the market, he was already considered to be certifiably bizarre. But at that time, bizarre in a way that was more easy to accept. You had the 'one glove 'thing...and you had the instant marriage to Elvis Presley's daughter...and you had that hanging around with Emanuel Lewis...and you had the keeping of really weird pets...and you had the beginning of the epic exploits into the world of plastic surgery..... ALL of that was happening by the time Thriller came out, I believe...or at least very shortly afterward.

So in my opinion, during his adult phase, he was always considered to be weird. He just got worse as time went on, whereas Prince pretty much maintained a steady state of 'weird' without getting much weirder over time.

Personally, at this point, I think that Prince's weirdness and Jackson's weirdness come out of completely different places - and thinking about it in retrospect, they always have come out of completely different places! I think Prince is weird because he is an artist who sees the world very differently than most people. But I think Michael Jackson is flat out mentally disturbed. And I mean that I think he is mentally disturbed, even putting aside the pedophilia issue.

I think that Michael Jackson's family, combined with extreme levels of fame, has totally fucked him up. I don't think Michael Jackson is in any way living in the same reality that we are. I don't even think the guy knows right from wrong anymore nor is he is capable of understanding any boundaries of acceptable behavior.

Prince, on the other hand, I think is living in reality, and in fact never left it. He just expresses what he feels about that reality in a way that most people would never dare.

Well, I think he went in spurts. He would do 2 or 3 in one year...and they nothing for a year or two. I don't think Prince was ever really into the idea of churning out stuff to meet a consistent schedule - I think he wrote when inspired to.

Well, I'm not sure I understand that first sentence you wrote at all.

But I do understand the sentence about the Super Bowl.

And I wouldn't say that at this point, Prince is considered to be a 'normal guy'. I think that in that Super Bowl program, people saw that Prince is still hot and can still crank it out...and I think that as others after him have pressed the envelope still further than Prince did in the 80's, Prince is no longer considered to be the 'pioneer' that he once was.

But 'normal guy'? I think that still might be a bit of a stretch. ;)

15. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I agree. Prince's weirdness is more of an artsy fartsy thing while MJ's is just creepy "the back of the bus" type of weird...

16. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was Jacko actually convicted for molesting children? I don't seem to remember how that all ended.

Btw. I'd like if he made another album, actually. I'm one of the few people who seemed to enjoy "Invincible" quite a bit and I've always liked his music. It's such a shame that so much (unsurprisingly) focus was directed at his private life on his part as well as that of the media instead of the music.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

FAR too much discussion has been spint on MJ's "part."

18. cmulgrew

cmulgrew Captain Captain

No. After him being branded a pedophile most people do not want anything to do with him.

19. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

He never did jail time or lose his kids, so no he was never convicted. As I recall the suits were all settled out of court and no criminal charges were brought.

I never thought he would be tried in a criminal court, the defense most likely would have had the parents take the stand and explain why they thought it was OK for a 40 something year old man to have "sleep overs" with young boys. It would bring into question their parenting and possibly raise enough doubt for acquittal or a mistrial. That's just my opinion.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

He was tried in a criminal court though. How soon we forget.