Call of Duty 5 SUCKS! Dont waste your money!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lookingglassman, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm... well, I don't know about the single-player mode but the online was exciting and fun. The new maps are going to take a LONG time to learn in some cases due to the extreme amounts of levels, ladders, and rubble piles, not to mention the numerous ways of getting from point A to point B. Its not like COD4 where there were only a couple of ways to cross a map-many of the new ones I played on had 6+ routes or more so choke points aren't as easy to use as a means of dominating the round. As an online multi-player FPS I think COD5 is worth the $.

OT-Did anyone notice NX's avatar? I almost popped a button after reading this thread.:guffaw:

2. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the Clown Car technique that is somewhat endemic to COD is a tool used to force players to move through an area that they shouldn't be sticking around in.

But yes, it's a crutch that shouldn't be used as an infinite number of enemies swarming out of a two story house is just silly. I'd rather see something scripted used to force you to the next area (big explosion, etc.) than something like that. Happily COD4, while it did rely on it a good deal, managed to disguise it fairly well. The single player campaign was always beautifully paced and brilliantly presented, but if you tried to break the linearity in any way, the heavy scripting and clown car areas would become incredibly obvious and force you out of the experience.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Then my latest TV thread might just tickle your chin :cool:

4. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Sounds like nine hours of this game didn't do you good. Just an FYI--posting in all caps is considered "yelling" on the internet; maybe try tuning it down a bit next time. ;) Hope you find a game more to your liking!

Talk about over-moderating. :p Last time I checked, we weren't here to moderate grammar and spelling. Back off. I don't want to see this in my forum again.

Next time, hit notify mod and let us deal with it--even if it's another moderator.

I'm going to give two stern friendlies rather than warning here. I don't want to see any of this again!

5. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Call of Duty World At War is great and well worth the money. The OP doesn't know what he's talking about.

6. Twilight

Tried to pick it up yesterday after work but it hadn't arrived yet (this was a circuit city) :rolleyes:

Stopping again tonight!

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Nazi Zombies is, quite possibly, one of the greatest game modes ever. It'll probably be tons of fun in co-op/multiplayer.

So I just finished my first run through the campaign late last night. I usually do one play-through right off at a lower difficulty level to familiarize myself with the levels and such. Tonight I'll probably start up a new run-through to start getting all the achievements and stuff I still need. :techman:

Fun game. My only major problem with it is, due to the nature of the campaign, there's no real overarching storyline, which was my favorite part of COD4.

8. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*Sigh*
    I picked up COD5 aaannnd 2 other games (I'm never gonna get ahead :lol:).

Circuit City loves to take my money and give me great deals at the same time.
    As I said I picked up COD5 (got another $10.00 gift card) along with Rainbow 6 Vegas (19.99) and Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty (16.99).
    So I use my 10% of gamer card, $15.00 off $100.00 purchase coupon and the $10.00 gift card from Dead Space and my total came to $74.41 (and got another $10.00 gift card) for all three games.
    What a deal.
    And my stack of un-opened games grows. :lol:

9. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know where I can find the developer credits for this game? I want to see if a friend made it in.

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't leave this one unopened. :techman:

11. PKerr

Oh they will all get opened eventually.
    Right now I'm playing Gears Of War 2 and stopped playing Fallout 3 to do that.
    I'll probably look at it tonight but I won't invest a ton of time into it right now.
    I have a feeling I'll play Gears the rest of the week then go back to Fallout 3 after that and then Left 4 Dead comes out next week and I'll be playing that then.

Oh the Girl also stuffed a Mirror's Edge comic book in my bag.

12. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could be wrong of course, but I don't think Tim was "moderating" so much as he was providing a critique of the fellow's Gamespot review, a critique he probably should have paid attention to if he's going to be writing reviews.

13. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I would have preferred that they either do Vietnam, Korea, or another Modern-Era game, the reviews that I have seen have been very positive. I picked it up this afternoon and will start playing shortly.

14. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked it up about an hour ago, and so far I'm impressed :)

15. Twilight

So far I'm impressed - played some MP, which is almost identical to COD4 (a good thing!) ... not sure how I feel about the dogs, though. I didn't like them in the beta and I don't think I like them here.

The single player has been great so far - the first mission in Berlin is really superb, great visuals, great atmosphere. It doesn't quite match the sniper mission in Chernobyl in COD4, but it's definitely great.

16. Skywalker

I wonder if IW is going to continue the trend of getting big-name actors to play the main NPC roles. Sutherland and Oldman were both excellent.

17. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was funny, since Oldman did voice work for one of the Medal of Honor PC expansions. I forget which one, I think it was the second or third.

18. PKerr

OK I finally tore myself away from Gears 2 and Played the game for about an hour.
    First thing I noticed was Kiefer Sutherland doing voice work. Nice.

Second. The game is very pretty. Nice Graphics.

Third. Solid Gameplay. Very COD4. I could tell it's made with the COD4 engine.

Fourth. Gone is the 100 indistinguishable dots little shooting at you like in COD3.
    You clearly see the battle going on all around you just like COD4.

I easily see myself marathoning this one kids.

So far COD5 makes a nice addition to the COD series. Good job Treyarch. :techman:

EDIT TO ADD:
    I will say this, I am playing on Veteran level and I do agree the enemy hand grenades are a bit ridiculous.
    I don't know why these shooter games can't get the grenades a bit more accurate or at minimal equal.
    The enemy can get their grenades halfway across the map, swish it like a basket ball in the tiniest of holes to take out half your guys and your lucky if yours takes out one guy if you land it dead in the middle of ten.
    They also seem to have an unlimited supply that comes from every direction.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

just got "the professional" achievement, that damn dog is hard to line up, plus loved the homage to enemy at the gates

20. Skywalker

How the hell did you get the dog, too? That part has been annoying the hell out of me.