• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Bridge lighting: your preference?

Ragitsu

Commodore
Commodore
Good afternoon!

Generally speaking, do you prefer bright, moderate or dim lighting on the bridge of a starship? Whatever your answer: why? Do you feel differently about personal quarters, common areas, cargo bays, shuttle bays, space stations, et cetera?
 
Bridge - under normal conditions moderate light levels - NO LENS FLARES. Under combat conditions - red light for night vision enhancement.

Quarters - whatever the crew prefers would be the realistic way. Comfortable, warm lighting would be best for most "Earthers".

Common areas - similar to quarters, some variety depending on use.

Corridors - day/night pattern. From warm and bright though cool moonlight.

Trying to think in real-world terms. If you want a ship out there for an extended time, you have to consider lighting for mental health and sleep/wake cycles. One of the reasons I really have issue with having a huge variety of non-humans on a ship. They might not be comfortable with the lighting, gravity level, temperature, humidity...etc...
 
In personal quarters, the lighting should always be instantly tunable according to the inhabitant’s preference.

On the bridge, normal warm lighting a la TOS or TNG. I see no reason to dim things for red alert — you’re on board a starship, there’s no “night” unless you want there to be, so no reason for night vision. Intentionally making it harder to see during emergencies seems a terrible idea…

Anyway, heck with the lighting — we need carpets back, everywhere! Not these metal floors.
 
Is SNW considered bright, moderate, or dim? I wish it was brighter than it is but not the blinding glare filled lense flare level.

Of course, is mu complaint about SNW the lighting or the color of the walls? Maybe if the walls were lighter color I'd be happy.
 
Is SNW considered bright, moderate, or dim? I wish it was brighter than it is but not the blinding glare filled lense flare level.

Of course, is mu complaint about SNW the lighting or the color of the walls? Maybe if the walls were lighter color I'd be happy.


Actually, I think the trend started with Star Trek V. Those bridges are also a bit dark for my taste and it's not the lighting.

The TMP bridge was darker, TWOK was lit red for most of the movie, TSFS was supposed to look like minimal power.
 
Depends on the bridge!

I dunno really. When it comes to Trek, I think TOS/TNG/SNW have it about right. Evenly lit. Not so keen on the more shadowy affairs seen in DSC or PIC S03.
 
Shadows are real.

Unless power is low (and if energy reserves are that critical on a vehicle or station powered by matter-antimatter reactions, you probably face greater issues than poor illumination) or a race finds light intolerable, "mood lighting" as the norm doesn't make much sense.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top