News Brent Spiner Returned for "Picard" (and you could do the CGI better in 15 minutes, we get it)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Turtletrekker, May 30, 2019.

1. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Captain Kris Kringle Pike Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. One of my friends who works in the VFX industry said once that :censored: like that happens "all the time" in expecting the VFX people to just make it happen. Except, that's not how it works. it's not for lack of care, despite people insisting it must be because somehow thse productions couldn't possibly underestimate costs or somehow have a miscommunication between departments. That never happens.:rolleyes:

waniel, Sci, saladdays and 2 others like this.
  2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I only remember two really bad effects in INS: One shot where the drones were clearly copied in, lighting all off, not matching the background at all, and the entire scene on the collector where the blue background was apparently supposed to be replaced with stars or the inside of the damn thing, but was simply left blue XD

3. Sebastianus

Sebastianus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why? He looks intentionally old in Season 2.

4. MFB

MFB Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

While Jonathan Frakes himself speculated (but not remembered for sure) in an audio commentary years later that the blue background in the collector was supposed to be replaced with effects, I am quite sure that was not the case.

The floor of that set had a green screen for digital set extension (a photo can be seen in the making-of-book "The Secrets of Star Trek: Insurrection"). I can't imagine they would have mixed green screen and blue screen as in some shots blue and green would have been seen totgether. Also that blue color ist part of the exterior of the collector which is another indication that the blue interior was an intended design choice.

Gepard likes this.
  5. NCC-73515

I remember Sirtis asked him that, and he didn't respond, but it's been a few years since I've heard it.

MFB likes this.
  6. MFB

MFB Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, that's possible. I also herad the commentary last time some years ago. But I am sure Frakes did not confirm the blue screen theory undoubtedly if at all.

7. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

IMO, The blue walls of the collector were absolutely not meant to be replaced.

1. As mentioned, a greenscreen was used for set extension.
    2. Illuminated blue was a part of the Son'a set design, as can also be seen on the bridge set.
    3. The blue had no tracking markers whatsoever, which at the time would have made the replacement next to impossible as it was shot with a roving camera, tilting, panning and zooming all over the place.

Gepard, NCC-73515 and StewMc like this.
  8. NCC-73515

Good points :beer:

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frakes admitted it looks like unfinished CG in the commentary, I think. Just a weak creative choice.

10. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

No one hates that which is new and different quite as much as certain fans of a show about people who go to outer space to find that which is new and different.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If I may cross the genre streams a little bit here, all of this has happened before and will happen again.

Richard S. Ta likes this.