Breaking News: THE CLONE WARS Has Been Cancelled

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cooleddie74, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Other than everything they put out between 2002 and 2005.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there was a pretty consistent stream of stories set during the period between the release of AoTC and ROTS.
    Very, very glad the at least Filoni will be sticking around.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Oh, I meant dating back to 1977. The entirety of SW history and lore until 2008.

It's true we saw the start and end of the wars in Episodes II and III and the Tartakovsky animated microseries and related stories in-between, but even that wasn't a whole lot. The Filoni series surpassed all that by parsecs.

I do wish Durge the bounty hunter had returned in the new series, though. Great villain.

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

As enjoyable as the Tartakovsky incarnations of the Clone Wars was (and having run a Star Wars message board in the buildup to ROTS, I enjoyed the heck out of that show) ... it positively PALES in comparison to the Filoni-helmed Clone Wars series. And rightly so. Filoni's 22-minute-per-episode series allowed for greater character, theme, and story exploration than Tartakovsky had any opportunity to do.

5. cooleddie74

The 3- and 10-minute microepisodes made by Tartakovsky were outstanding and fun, but when all put together don't add up to that much screen and story time to depict the wars. Very little character development of any kind was achieved. Season 1 of the Filoni series all by itself blew the microseries out of the water.

It's like the difference between throwing a rocket and firing one.

6. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Got this link from Star Wars youtube website, where Dave Filoni, the supervising director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, promises new stories arcs from the Clone Wars. With the series cancelled, i am guessing movies.

7. cooleddie74

One theory is that Disney XD will air the remaining stories in some sort of heavily hyped marathon or over the course of a few weeks, then they'll all be put on DVD and BluRay or even edited together into one long animated movie and then released at retail.

I imagine it won't be too much longer before Lucasfilm reveals the actual plans for the unaired stories.

8. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Disney is going to be holding their annual Star Wars Weekends event between May 7th and June 9th down in Orlando. If they have anything to announce, my guess is that would be their chosen time to do it.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or they'll wait for Celebration Europe II in late July.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why did they even make S6 when S5 wasn't even done airing? Does every animated show make episodes so far in advance these days? Isn't that a huge waste of money when the show is canceled like this?:confused:

11. cooleddie74

This is just my take and I can't be certain, but I guess some animated programs go ahead and greenlight at least a few episodes of a new TV season just to have a handful in the bag and ready to go if the show is renewed and continues.

Animation can often take so long to complete and edit together into a coherent, linear program that Filoni and the crew probably didn't have the luxury of just waiting around to see if the series was renewed for Season 6. They had to be working at making new episodes just in case they got the go-ahead from the suits.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Did they only make a few episodes for S6 or did they manage a full season?

13. cooleddie74

As I understand it only a handful of new episodes were completed at the time the cancellation announcement was made. They were nowhere near a complete season's worth of stories....not even close.

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And yet they are "continuing" production. So they should be able to complete any stories they want to tell and not leave anything big hanging.

I'm kinda dissapointed we won't be seeing Detours, but it will be interesting to see what new series they come up with instead.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know it doesn't sound the show had been cancelled, it just sounds like their just going to start wrapping it up.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

This season was really divided into four episode arcs, that when aired back-to-back, are essentially two-hour TV movies. I wouldn't be surprised if "season six" is maybe a couple of TV movies to wrap up the series.

17. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, what we know we are getting for stories is:
    -A story about a botched Clone going "66" (in the HD clip widely circulating)
    -The return to "Clovis" Arc
    -Something involving Gregor (the only redeeming feature of that god awful Gaston arc)

Assuming that's a minimal arc of 3 episodes and the possibility that Gregor is in one of the other two arcs... that's 6 episodes minimum and 12 episodes max. I'd say they have a large chunk of what was to be season 6 mapped out.

There was also IIRC, Filoni mused about explaining Maul's survival from being cut in two.

The only thing I feel cheated out of is seeing Ahsoka and Ventress teamed up long term... but if that happens to be a spin off series that would be kind of radical.

18. cooleddie74

I hope you're right. I'd hate to wait months to see unaired Season 6 material and get just three or four episodes and that's all she wrote. I want to know what happens to characters like Maul, Captain Rex, Cad Bane and Hondo.

19. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I'm sure all of those questions and more will be answered in the fullness of time.

Star Wars has a long way to go...

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here are parts one and two of Ashley Eckstein's three-part "exit interview" with Newsarama. Part three was supposed to go up today, but alas, it did not.

Part one

Part two