BoxOfficeMojo forums shut down by parent company IMDB

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Craig, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know several of us would use BOM for movie figures(and we still can for that) and I also had an account there with over 2,000 posts not sure if anyone else did.

The main page for forums now says:
    IMDB bought out BOM about a year ago. Not long after they altered how the forums layout was done. Now they've just shut it down and are hoping BOM posters will add traffic to their main site it seems. I've just sent some tweets with one of the main mods and he confirms the forums were shut down with no explanation but a site has been set up for that "family" to post at majorefugees.proboards.com

This is my first experience with message board "takeovers", anyone else heard, experienced this before? I'd hate to lose this place cause Paramount decide to buy it out for whatever reason.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You should join the topics in QSF.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't heard that being in the cards at all.

And if they did, it would only be because they recognize the value of having an independent place for Star Trek discussion, that people can visit without the heavy hand of corporate douchbaggery. It would be perfectly possible for this place to be owned by Paramount (or CBS) and none of us even realizes it, except maybe the ads would be better behaved.

With 4000 active members here, Paramount wouldn't buy this place for the amazing reach. It could only be interested in its reputation as an independent site. If www.startrek.com really has less than 4000 active members, Paramount (or CBS) is really fucking up bigtime. That's a pathetically low number for a major corporation that can put a healthy PR effort into boosting membership.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    It wasn't my intent to make that sound as if I'd heard a rumor. It was a hypothetical.
    I didn't know about the UGO split that sojouner pointed out to me in the QSF forum.
    I'll try to get read up on that.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMDB is one step above Youtube when it comes to discussions.