Book word count

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats kind of what Star Wars does with most novels having exclusive Star Wars Insider tie-in short stories.

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Actually, I find it's the most useless system out there, unless you are working in the sciences, otherwise in normal day life I can't really recall when I last used the metric system, since for cooking or even doing simple repairs/carpentry everything is measured in cups, pounds, inches, feet and yards.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that length just the first one, or is that both added together?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It's both, since they wouldn't have published a single e-book of that length. Looks to me like Part 1 is 22,000 and Part 2 is 30,000.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I see where you're coming from, and your conciseness really keeps your novels moving, but there is every so often something wonderful about reading some random irrational sprawl of a novel. I adore Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, for example, and fully a third of that book has to be totally unnecessary. It's also totally awesome.

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the other hand, A Song of Ice and Fire gets almost agonizingly long sometimes.

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I totally agree on Crptonomicon. I remember being half way through and thinking I could have read 2 other books in the time I've gotten this far and I still had no idea where the story was going. And I didn't care. I was having so much fun I didn't want it to end.