Poll Bohemian Rhapsody - The Queen/Freddie Movie

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Pingfah, Oct 25, 2018.

?

Are Queen amazing?

1. Yes

90.9%
  2. Yes

36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like Queen have defied the critics yet again, despite some pretty savage reviews, this movie looks to have been a huge hit. $50 million US opening weekend, $141 million worldwide in a week.

For a musical biopic, that's pretty big.

Pondwater likes this.
  2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read several reviews and they were all fairly positive though touched on what was mentioned earlier in the thread - how much of Freddie's lifestyle was "sanitised" but also how some events were changed around such as relating to the Live Aid performance.

How much input did the remaining band members have in the production in terms of the script?

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's my understanding they had complete creative control.

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did not know that Mike Myers was in the movie untill the end credits. What a surprise.

Overall i liked the movie. It was a touching tribute to a rock legend. I do agree that parts of the movie was sanitized like Freddy's hedonistic lifestyle for example. His parties were way more interesting.

It is sad we lost him. It was a tragedy.

5. ElimParra

ElimParra Screaming Firehawk Admiral

Saw it earlier today - enjoyed it. I was never a huge Queen fan. I've got the greatest hits on my old laptop in my itunes collection, but been a long while since I listened to it. Did have a few tears as I watched the Live-Aid scenes.

6. Pondwater

Pondwater Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it much.

7. RunningValkyrie

RunningValkyrie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked it a lot but it also made me a bit sad to see how unhappy Freddie had been through parts of his lite. The musical parts of the movie were great and the part where they Came up with Bohemian Rhapsody was really entertaining.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blueness Premium Member

I, too, got a bit teary-eyed at the Live Aid sequence. I remember watching that as a teen, and Queen's performance was so unbelievably good, it gave me goosebumps.

I wish they had played it in the credits; it would have been fun to see the real thing compared to the dramatization.

9. gblews

gblews Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it today. Yes, loved the scenes that showed the band's creative process. I also loved tbe band's relationships and how they thought of themselves as a family. But I do wonderr if they'd have gotten back together if Freddie had not gotten sick. Doesn't doesn't matter at this point, because they did and I'll bet the surviving members are still glad they did.

Rami Malek is one helluva actor.

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that Queen didn't split up in real life, and Mercury was diagnosed with Aids to years later in 1987

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blueness Premium Member

They " took a break" but I don't think they ever split up officially -- if I recall correctly.

And, yes, the movie did play a bit fast and loose with the order of events. In fact, it was my understanding that he wasn't diagnosed until a couple of years after Live Aid.

Chalk it up to dramatic license, I guess.

12. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Correct. Queen never actually broke up. In fact, the band joined him in Munich to record an album. The Roger character's statement that they hadn't played together in years was also incorrect, as Queen had just done a tour in South Africa (and caught a lot of flack for it, rightly so).

His diagnosis came in 1987 and they continued to record.

I thought the movie, despite the dramatic license, was really very good. Rami's portrayal was awesome and heartbreaking at the same time. I thought John Deacon's portrayal was under developed, but since he didn't have a hand in making the movie like Taylor and May, I guess that's not too surprising. He has completely distanced himself from all things Queen since just after Freddy died, but does still have a say in financial dealings.

auntiehill likes this.
  13. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IOW, pretty much how John was/is in real life. Very much the shy and quiet type, a family man (six kids, only one wife - not bad for a rocker), who had an drug/alcohol fueled breakdown in the early 80's (right around the time of Queen's biggest troubles in the movie) and never fully recovered. I guess May and Taylor didn't want that side of their other bandmate shown in the film either, understandably.

marillion likes this.