Bogus speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by B.J., Oct 10, 2013.

1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

The violation named in the letter is "Speed Greater Than Reasonable and Prudent / Failure to Control Speed to Avoid Collision." I don't think it's a big leap from there to "driving unsafely."

2. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    According to him, the officer felt it was reasonable and prudent to be doing 65 to 70 at that point. Falling snow had eased up and the freeway was dry and had cinders down to combat icy conditions.

never said I agreed with the officer. I'd have been doing about the same speed my coworker was.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

What are the elements of the offense? If they only have to prove the former and not the latter, then the latter is irrelevant to the discussion. Hell, if the former is a per se rule that doesn't actually take into account what is actually reasonable and prudent (meaning, taking context into account), I'd argue the title of the statute is entirely irrelevant.

4. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't looked it up, and the letter doesn't give details such as speed. Just the photos and the offense named as "SPEED > REAS & PRUD/FTC SPEED TO AVOID A COLLISION"

Is it so much to ask that someone not drive my car in such a manner, especially when I know she damn sure isn't going to pay for any damage she causes?

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's your car, so you're absolutely right to demand what you want. I'm just pointing out it doesn't mean the car was driven unsafely.

It's really a side point so we can drop it and you don't have to answer this question, but is there a statute listed on the letter?

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any chance that the guy's windshield was all fogged up and that's why he got pulled over (and could the officer have suspected he was going slow because he couldn't see properly)?

7. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I don't think so, since he had no trouble allowing me to remove the truck, even though there was ice covering the inside of the window at that point.