Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From what I understand Gillian's story arc isn't done yet and we'll probably be seeing her in Season 5.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

If so, I only hope it briefly, her character arc is pretty much over. The only thing i can think of is if she finally had sometype of meaningful confrontation with Nucky now that Jimmy's body was found and everyone know he was murdered.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From what I read Gillian and Nucky are tied together because of the Commodore. The Commodore wanted her and a young Nucky brought her to the him. From that along came Jimmy. So in some respects Nucky is partially responsible for what happened to Gillian and in extent Jimmy. And so perhaps something is going to go down between Nucky and Gillian in Season 5.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I'm fairly certain you can say that Nucky is hugely responsible for what happened to Jimmy given how Jimmy's story ended.

As for Gillian, I like Gretchen Mol a lot but holy hell they need to write her off the show already.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Just watched the last two episodes after being on holiday for the past week plus.

The first episode was surprisingly quiet and slow for the second to last episode of the season, especially considering how big the same episode last season was.

I have to say this whole season I couldn't get my head around what Roy's scheme was. For awhile, I thought it had something to do with Tommy but that didn't make much sense. And then, in the final moments, just as Gillian began to confess, everything clicked. Roy's murder wasn't murder, which fell perfectly with the falsity of the "Piggy Wiggly" story. Roy had been working on the long con to get Gillian to admit her murder of the faux Jimmy. With that all said and done, it was wonderful to see Gillian to finally get her comeuppance, even though she finally began to see the light in regards to Tommy's future.

Meanwhile, Nucky's little family get together seems to go well in hand until Eli foolishly shows part of his hand in regards to Knox. As soon as Nucky finally agreed to Eli's idea for a meeting, I feared that Nucky knew what was going on with Eli. And yet, I was surprised, despite the foreshadowing, by Nucky's proclamation of wanting to "get out."

Chalky's litte adventure didn't seem to be much more than set up...

The season finale more than made up for the quiet previous episode. Gillian finally goes to jail for being a miserable, rotten piece of shit that she is and I really hope this is the last we see of her.

History continues to flow as an assination attempt is made on Torrio's life and bequeaths his empire to the rising Al Capone.

The walls come crashing down on Eli as Nucky threatens his life for betraying him but is only saved by the presence of a suspicious Will. Things only get worse when Knox shows up in Eli's home, furious by Eli's inability to deliver. What follows is one of the most brutal fights I've seen on television, topping Chalky and Dunn's fight from earlier this season. Somehow, Eli finally has some luck with the higher ups and is able to quietly disappear to Chicago. I'm not sure why there and what that means, but I like how Chicago seems to have become the haven of outcasts (Jimmy, Van Alden, and now Eli).

However, the real gut punch is during the showdown between Chalky and Narcisse. I knew since halfway through this season that Chalky would pay dearly this season, either with his own life or his daughter's. What I didn't expect was the manner of her death: Richard accidentally shooting her in attempt to kill Narcisse. And if that wasn't enough, Richard takes a fatal bullet in the gut, manages to escape, only to die underneth the boardwalk (the site of his romantic date with Julia), dreaming of a better life. I knew it was coming with the heavy foreshadowing of Richard's goodbye to Tommy and Julia, but it didn't soften the blow any. Richard has been my favorite character since his introduction. His absence will leave a larger hole than Jimmy's departure.

Unfortunately, in the final two episodes, we only get a brief check-in with Margaret and Rothstein, during the finale's montage climax, which only confirms that this season was only setting things up for greater things next season. I can only hope we'll see more of both next season than we did this season.

Chalky is also in exile, albeit not in Chicago. I'll be very interested in seeing what is in store for him in the future. But the real question is what about Nucky? Has he only temporarily delayed his departure from the crime scene or will something drag him back in due course next season? As much as this show is an ensemble cast, it's hard to imagine it without Steve Buscemi.

Lastly, I'm disgusted Narcisse didn't get his due course. I thought the show was going to have his fall not come from his crimes, but through deportation (echoing the Capone's future fall not from being a gangster, but because of tax evasion), but that wasn't in the cards. Instead, it seems we haven't seen the last of him.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013