Spoilers Black Lightning - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TREK_GOD_1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A quarantine might prevent people from getting in or out, but it wouldn't justify no communication at all. There is no logical reason that people in Freeland can't make a phone call, or people outside of Freeland can't call in. Such a mess would create a major outcry from relatives and certainly get the attention of the media. And they are talking about SARS, which is like 99 percent curable.

The more the security would be, the more pushback.

So basically, it was a lucky shot or Anissa's hubris which caused the vulnerability.

Anissa's powers are really weird with that hold the breath and make a goofy noise trigger.

That is a different issue, but a very good contrast as to the writers. I don't think Black Lightning goes far enough to establish Jefferson as a hero in this show -- a weakness we seem to see in Supergirl, but this week, Jefferson stepped up, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the COIE. We might see Jefferson's finest hour.

I wouldn't necessarily kill anyone important. I might not even kill anyone. But what I would do is take a long look at the universe, and see any criticisms to address and changes to make. I would take the opportunity to allow for changes in continuity, and maybe combine a few Earths.

I'd use it to do even subtle things like give Superman his red shorts back. That's a minor change I really want to see in Superman and Lois, and it's not hard to do.

The COIE is the chance to redeem Lena because it's a chance to rewrite history.

Let's get Superman and Kara on Earth 1.

But KEEP the multiverse. They are messing with some classic TV shows, and they all should survive. Plus, the multiverse allows for sick crossovers that don't even involve Arrowverse shows. Imagine a legit Smallville crossover with Superman and Lois, free from the COIE--smaller, with enough to do for Welling to be an equal.

Arrow is ending.

Have Diggle come out of the COIE with the John Stewart name and give him his power ring. He could even reprise the role on the new series.

Do enough to keep the shows going, but make some changes that are felt.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since Batman is not around...Black Lightning and the Outsiders?

She could have been treated like Tobias. That would be the only way to explain her appearance.

[quote[Also, no one in Freeland noticed he has barely aged? He sure could NOT pass for a guy in his 70's![/quote]

Ahh, but that's the key to it all: if they know how old he's supposed to be, how will their minds rationalize it? Until the dawn of Black Lightning, most citizens would not have believed that anyone like that could exist, and that applies to Tobias. This series is so real world aligned that people (in the past, or at the point some would start to question Tobias' longevity) would rather believe not to believe than accept the idea of superpowers.

This series' villains soars above all others on DC TV shows.

Yeah, Green Light is not the average drug, and with Odell mentioning what it makes the user believe (in Lynn;s case, that she was solving the meta-virus issue more than was actually true), she should be in for a terrible time trying to overcome the effect of going cold turkey from something even she does not completely understand.

I'm not sure, but for the fact he had the ASA file on Barron means that he was--at one time--very aware of every child who was subjected to the experiments and/or exposure. That's why he checked his files in the first place.

Yep. The comic costume was so silly.

It was meant to be that way. Williams is the example of the sell-out/ass-kisser who disrespects Black Lightning so much that he believed he would kill him, but he had to learn a lesson in this first true face-off. This will give Williams the urge to want to prove to himself--and the ASA--that this "black hero" can only be eliminated by the #1 kiss-ass.

Even if she thought his facial features were similar, remember, in real life, the first thought would not be to assume its a person she believed to be dead and was there to see him buried. The mind is not going to immediately go there, so his resemblance would not trigger suspicion.

Media blackouts on sensitive (or illegal) government actions have numerous real world parallels, which is why the Black Lightning showrunners have the ASA put Freeland on a media/communications lockdown, unless its the government-stamped lie about SARS, which the general population is aware of enough to accept the story. Outsiders' fears do 50% of the work for the ASA.

Between the main cast, the named and/or referred to "pod kids," the pod criminals (from last season), Lala, and anyone Odell and/or Jace ever mentioned, its quite an army of the enhanced.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched the last couple episodes this morning.
    It was nice to see Jefferson take a stand against the ASA.
    Lynn finding Khalil, and finding out that he does still have his memories was good to know. It means there is at least a slight chance to bring back to the old Khalil.
    I'm liking the stuff with Jennifer and Brandon, it will be interesting to see if they actually find a way to confront Jace.
    It was nice to see Annisa back in her Thunder ID.
    Loved Williams getting taken out by Black Lighting's powers.
    Anybody know if there was a specific reason Bill Duke wasn't in these last couple episodes?

4. TREK_GOD_1

His character Odell was shot in episode 6, "The Book of Resistance: Chapter One: Knocking on Heaven's Door" during the raid, and is recovering. You just know he will be back with a vengeance.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I know the story reason, I was just wondering if there was a real world reason behind it. Like Bill Duke was off doing a movie or requested a break or something.

6. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am interested too... he IS 76... and also a director & producer...

7. Morpheus 02

Just had this thought and wanted to post before Crisis... With Tuesday's alternative universe episode... I wonder if it will support my theory on the Akils wanting to maintain a creative control on alternate earth's...because that episode will seem relatively out of place to the others

8. TREK_GOD_1

That's a good question. As protective as the showrunners have been over Black lightning, I would not be shocked to see their end of COIE limited, and not spilling over into their larger world. They have worked tirelessly to established a universe of their own, and it seems next to impossible that they would upend all of that just be tossed in the same juicer with the other series.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed in the IGN interview where they talked about COIE's effects on the different shows, there was no mention of Black Lighting, so even though he's part of it, it looks like COIE probably won't have any noticeable effect on Black Lightning.

10. TREK_GOD_1

*Fingers crossed*

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could still be trying to finish shaving.

His presence was definitely missed as shit started to go down though in these last couple of episodes.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  12. TREK_GOD_1

Black Lightning
    SEASON THREE / Episode 9 - "The Book of Resistance: Chapter Four - Earth Crisis"

Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning: The various "faces" of Jefferson--the real one wants to hold on to his moral code of not killing, Earth-1's Jefferson is a frightened propagandist of the ASA, but the moment he resists (with Reverend Holt),he's murdered for his troubles. Earth-2 Jefferson was closer to the real article, with his pleading with "Jinn", but he took a violent step the real Jefferson would not dream of mirroring with his daughter. I expect him to be boiling mad when he turns up in a realm where others are just asking that he go along with their fanciful plans, while he believes his daughter might be dead.

Jennifer: "I don't know who to believe anymore."--yes, she's confused, but the fact her mother still worked for Odell in the wake of her father's beating should have made her decision clear.

The "collared" Earth-1 "Gen" felt betrayed by her father, Khalil is on his way to UCLA, and she had to watch her father killed by Odell. Difficult scene to watch.

Earth-2's "Jinn" was a sad case--utterly corrupt and believing she is the only authority she answers to (that's a laugh), with no moral core to prevent her fro being a mass murderer. The showrunners are actually making a parallel with real world Anissa, and her "kill or be killed" ideology.

But it all served to confirm the real Jennifer's true nature:

To Earth 2's "Jinn"--
    "I know that his code may be flawed, but its kept him alive...kept his conscience and spirit clean. Because he warned me about vengeance and what violence can do to a person's soul. And I don't know if I can come back from that, but I can damn sure avoid being you!"

To Earth-1's "Gen"--
    "..and you? Don't you ever give up your powers, because they're a gift from God, and if He didn't want you to have them, I'm telling you, He wouldn't have given them to you, and He wouldn't have given them to your father and your sister."

Despite being confused by Odell, she's becoming wise beyond her years--at least about her place in the world. Unlike so many TV and movie superheroes, she (and her family) do believe their powers have a higher purpose--destiny as granted by God, which makes them stand out from the usual power-punch-slippery-slope or moral relativism types seen in other productions.

Odell: So the Markovians think--according to Odell--they're bringing Biblical Hell to the world. But to what end--surely it has to mean more than just a power grab on the level of any enemy nation. Their "why" is still a mystery.

Gambi: Zeroing in on the multiverse theory opens certain doors (he was certainly fearing what Jennifer might be experiencing), but the only way the series returns to its own strong roots/plots is for the world to be reset in the sense that none of the events of the hour really happened. I hope that's the case.

Lynn: She's a full-in addict--making Green Light in her own home, and making matters worse, she blames Jefferson for the escalation in the ASA attacks. Tobias and Odell were both right in knowing exactly how to play her. She might love her children, but she does harbor some misguided resentment of Jefferson. Its not as if she did not know what she was getting into (the kind of man he is) when she married him.

She sees Khalil as someone who can be saved...I just hope she's not foolish enough to think she can take on that job alone.

NOTES: I thought the footage would be intercepted in one way or another, and typical of the news media, it was broken down to send a very different, government-approved message.

Unlike the COIE episodes already aired, this series maintained its own story (which framed part of the Odell end of the episode) and the characters were not out of character just be part of a get-together, which is how most of the characters of COIE parts 1 & 2 are coming off.

GRADE: A+.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was an interesting one.
    The one thing that really bugged is that if the Earth-1 and Earth-2 presented can't really fit with the versions we got on the other Arrowverse shows. I find it hard to believe that all of the stuff going on in Freeland would stay completely isolated there. If the ASA and Markovians were so determined to get metas, you'd think we'd see them popping up in places like Central City. We also get mention of a war, and I find it hard to believe if it really was a war that it would only effect one city.
    Putting that aside, the two different alternate Jennifer's did give us a look at the two extreme possible outcomes of their situation.

14. Morpheus 02

So this episode, to me, felt like it was written kinda like "A Christmas Carol", but rather than the ghosts of Christmas past & present, it's like "good girl" vs "bad girl", and Earth BL Jen gets to learn from both. I am not sure if this was part of the original plan, or a hastily written segue to the Crisis.

It's kinda bogus that Earth BL got wiped...and Jen reformed herself on her earth? It would have been cool if she was still in the in-between during the Crisis, and could hold on her to memories. I am not sure how the Crisis will allow her or BL to remember all they just learned.

The Trek fan rationalizer in me would say this about Earth 1 and 2.

Earth 1 -- yeah, it's a stretch. But if Earth 1 Batman is an urban legend, why not Black Lightning? Yes, OUR Black Lightning has ficitonal Superheroes like Superman and Supergirl. But the other cities could co-exist. Would Earth 1 heroes have the capability to fight EBola (or whatever excuse they have there)? They all seem to be focused on their own problems, and Freeland would be one of MANY ciities our heroes have never visited. .

Earth 2, at times, seems to have been portrayed as a TV version of Earth 3, with a whole bunch of evil versions of Superheroes. In this case Jinn (as in Djinn??) is the evil version of her hero. Now, we don't see that unique technology, but maybe because Freeland is majority black, that's why they didn't get the updates we have seen elsewhere.

While it was good seeing the daughters interact as sisters , pretty much like Earth BL, the earth where Anissa has to pretend to be conservative... for me, that's a preachy moment that had my eyes roll.

I would give this one, at best, a B+

15. Mr. Adventure

Damon Gupton will no longer play Henderson and apparently not be part of the show (so doesn't sound like takes on some other character as can happen in superhero fare). That's a real shame as I like the voice and counterbalance Henderson provides as the law. To me he helps to "ground" the show and provide a different perspective on Jefferson's actions.
    https://twitter.com/DamonGupton/status/1219001566918840320

16. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that kind of fucking sucks. Loved the character, loved the actor. What the actual hell, BL producers?

17. The Realist

Assuming they don't kill him off :mad: , I vote Henderson moves to Metropolis and joins the Superman & Lois cast. He was originally created as a Superman character anyway, so that would essentially bring him full circle.

18. TREK_GOD_1

Black Lightning
    SEASON THREE / Episode 10 - "The Book of Markovia: Chapter One - Blessings and Curses Reborn"

Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning: T Unlikenthe crossover, where Jefferson barely mentioned his family, here the importance of that concern / bond is expressed as Black Lightning returned home.
    Once again, his family is being pulled in every direction, much like the Lynn problem is tearing him apart. No other series shows the daily, constant price of being a costumed hero like Black Lightning, and he simply has no answers for Lynn. He's a thoughtful man, but that--and his love is never enough for an addict.

Lynn: Terrible to see a woman once so caring and strong completely broken down by Green Light addiction. The series is playing this close to reality, as usual. She's falling apart by the hour and barely rational anymore...
    From her blaming / making jealously-triggered, false equivalencies between her addiction and Jefferson using his powers, to her violence and attempt to shift that to him (almost trying to goad him into reacting), her downfall is a powerful, tragic thing to see.

Jennifer / Brandon: Jennifer is still "caught" between the world of being mature, and being too desperate to kill Odell. Certainly she had to know she's not all-powerful, or assume the ASA would not have countermeasures in place against anyone with the last name Pierce.

Sweet moment with her appreciation of Gambi tracking the family. One of the few times when that kind of action did not seem intrusive.

I had a feeling her pursuit of Brandon would lead to an unfortunate situation. The team was wise to ditch the ASA-constructed suit, but one had to assume it was the phone--that indispensable part of everybody's lives--that was tracked.

Anissa: "Male privilege?" Such unjustified nonsense. She's far too defensive and still suffering from growing pains. She confuses a father's love and hope that she does not completely lose a sense of morality for control or "male dominance." That said, she did feel the need to prove herself to be a capable leader, and was noting her father's reactions while they liberated the children.

Odell: Always one step ahead of everyone, but there's a crack in the armor with the way he's ranting. Of course, he might be one of those characters who can be just as effective while angry as he is in his usual, unflappable mode.

Gambi: So, he too confirms that he has no memory / awareness of Jefferson and Jennifer being gone at all. but he detects antimatter on them--either from their powers, or being exposed in the alternate worlds. Realistically, he's not fully on board with their account, but at this point, I'm glad everyon s not running around talking about mythical heroes no one has eveer heard of.

T.C.: I like the idea of his bonding with / trust of Gambi; one wonders if he will understand what Gambi "had" to do if he looks into the paper files on the original experiments...

Gambi trying to teach T.C. the importance of relationships that defines humanity was touching, and illustrates how far he's come from his government days. He seems to genuinely care about him, but I had to think he was referring to Lynn as the person who might be able to help him. If so, that should be an interesting situation.

Then, there's T.C.'s reaction at seeing Lady Eve's image...

NOTES: Thankfully, Jefferson trying to rationalize/explain multiverses did not add confusion to a very coherent storyline...yet.

In the last episode review, I speculated that Gambi zeroing in on the multiverse theory opens certain doors (he was certainly fearing what Jennifer might be experiencing), but as mentioned elsewhere, the only way the series maintains its own strong roots/plots is for the world to be reset in the sense that the events of the crossover were not as first perceived, or will last in the long run. In other words, the non-Black Lightning showrunners will be forced to take the same route as DC did when it attempted to "clean up" in the aftermath of COIE.

So, its all out war on the Pierce family--triggered by Jennifer (to a great degree). In the next episode, Khalil/Painkiller attacks, and is likely backed up by Commander Carson Williams, with his well-known vendetta against Jefferson in place.

It must be mentioned again: this is a series so far apart in every conceivable way--from any other TV series from the CW-DC. Hard hitting, always with a powerful, unrelenting set of messages perfectly interwoven with the fantasy plot, but still has its heroes show so much heart, even when they're behaving in a less than sensible manner.

There is no way this series just starts flowing into the others (even on a limited scale) without its core being compromised.

GRADE: A+.

19. Mr. Adventure

Does BL have x-ray vision or did I interpret that wrong?

It was hard watching Lynn hit rock bottom but I feel the story has been treading water for a bit and am waiting for it to move forward. That said, if Crisis brings Lady Eve back I wouldn’t complain. Maybe Tobias’ crazy guns now were actually alien tech from Earth 38.:) Lala’s situation is so bizarre I was wondering how he might affected or not.

20. The Realist

I don't think they call it that, but essentially yeah. He gained it earlier this season, I believe as a result of ASA experiments while he was in their custody.