Bit roles before they were "famous"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Borgified Corpse, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeEss57

DeeEss57 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Seven years before that, Patrick Stewart played Clement Atlee in 'A Gathring Storm' with Richard Burton as Churchill, and he played a thug in 'Hennessy'.

DES

2. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Courtney Cox - Masters of the Universe
    Matt LeBlanc - Ketchup Commercial
    Nicole Kidman - BMX Bandits
    Russell Crowe - Neighbours
    Jack Black - Enemy Of The State
    Jeremy Irons - Playschool

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Robert Duncan McNiell in Masters of the Universe too!

Liam Neeson was also in Excalibur, which if I recall correctly managed to snarf up most of the later to be famous Irish actors.

I've forgotten which Randolph Scott western it was, but I was amazed to see Anthony Quinn as a miscellaneous Apache brave.

Some that struck me were Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice) in the Vigilante epsiode of Threshold, Maggie Grace in an episode of Miracles (forgot the title,) and the ubiquitous Zachary Quinto as a Confederate soldier in yet another episode of Miracles!

4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

There's an episode of Young Indiana Jones that features both Daniel Craig and Catherine Zeta Jones.

5. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Jeffrey Donovan, who is an awesome actor had many roles before that one.

Another would be Adam Sandler on The Cosby Show.

I also wouldn't consider Masters of the Universe "bit parts" for either of the 2 actors listed, considering they were giant roles in the movie and the movie was about them.

6. Cap'n Caveman

Cap'n Caveman Captain Captain

I don't think that qualifies as a "bit" role, since he was the star of that show, which ran for about 8 years.

The first thing that came to mind was Eastwood's role in "Revenge of the Creature". I did not see that movie until I had already seen his spaghetti westerns, so it was more like why is a famous actor appearing in a bit part like that?

I have been looking at Roger Corman's filmography at IMDB. A lot of actors and directors who became famous have been involved in his movies.

7. aladinsane

aladinsane Captain Captain

I hope this hasn't been posted--haven't gotten through the thread yet--but Ford also has a small part in Apocalypse Now.

8. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

oh, i LOVE shows/movies where bit players/one time charaters ended up famous, i collect them

Seth Green was on Tales from the dark side
    Tobey McGuire was on Eerie Indiana
    Grace Park was on Stargate SG-1

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

One of my favorites is Cuba Gooding in the barber's chair in "Coming to America" while the Eddie Murphies are arguing about boxing.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Liam Neeson in Excalibur? Hell, Liam Neeson in Krull!

11. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

George Clooney was also in E/R ;)

12. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wil Wheaton and Matt LeBlanc did an episode of Monsters called 'Shave and a Haircut, Two Bites'

I can't find the blog post now, but Wil tells a great story about how Matt introduced him to The Simpsons cartoon television show program :D

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Matt LeBlanc had a few episodes on Married With Children, one of which was centered around him and his father and barely had Ed O'Neill because they were testing spinoff possibilities.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And while it is technically after he became famous for STAR WARS, Ford also has a small, but fun, cameo in More American Graffiti.

15. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Robert Duvall's first appearance was as Boo Radley in "To Kill a Mockingbird." He appears only at the end, but his off-screen character is referred to throughout the film (after all, Boo "is" the mockingbird the title analogizes to).

16. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

OMG, I love Liam Neeson and I totally did not know he was in Krull. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Richard Dryfuss's small bit in "The Graduate"

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ashley Judd was Ensign Robin Lefler on two episodes of TNG.

19. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

She was very popular in the 70s. When they'd air the movie on tv, the adverts for it gave her first or second billing. She was in maybe three scenes and had as many lines.

Andrew "Dice" Clay appeared more or less as himself in a slasher movie spoof called Whacko, something like ten years before he became famous as a comedian.

Daniel Dae Kim played a med student on Sienfeld. His head shot was also used on a hair dye for men box.

Matt LeBlanc was on an episode of Red Shoe Diaries. David Duchovny starred in the pilot. He narrated the weekly series concurrently with starring in X-Files.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I also remember Duvall as an Evil Villain out to control the West on an episode of The Wild Wild West ('The Night of the Falcon', iinm, about 1967.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.