Best/Favorite Regeneration Story 3 (2017 Update) - Rank & Rate

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Dec 26, 2017.

?

Which one of these regeneration stories is your favorite?

1. The Tenth Planet (BBC) (1->2)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The War Games (BBC) (2->3)

16.7%
  3. The Planet of the Spiders (BBC) (3->4)

12.5%
  4. Logopolis (BBC) (4->5)

20.8%
  5. The Caves of Androzani (BBC) (5->6)

37.5%
  6. The Brink of Death (BF) (6->7)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Enemy Within (The TV Movie) (BBC/Fox) (7->8)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Night of the Doctor (BBC) (8->Warrior)

16.7%
  9. Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways/Born Again (BBC) (9->10)

25.0%
  10. Turn Left/The Stolen Earth/Journey's End (BBC) (10->Meta Crisis 10)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The End of Time (BBC) (10->11)

25.0%
  12. The Time of the Doctor (BBC) (11->12)

4.2%
  13. World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls/Twice Upon a Time (BBC) (12->13)

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I'm very fairly sure the fan-film Devious doesn't count, as it was never finished and was never sanctioned by the BBC, although the clip of 3 having just regenerated did feature in the War Games DVD, so... I kinda like to count that, but I don't think it actually counts.

Six's regeneration totally does, though. Not a huge fan of the reconstruction, thoiugh, wish he'd used this version:

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems unfair to favor one type of fanfiction over another. If you count the audio fanfiction, you should have to count the fanfilm. At least, that seems like the only fair way to do it to me.

3. Emperor-Tiberius

Because was santioned by the BBC, and one wasn't. How exactly is that a difference that is difficult to understand, its beyond me.

4. Emh

Emh The Doctor Premium Member

From Merriam-Webster:

stories involving popular fictional characters that are written by fans and often posted on the Internet ​

Ergo, BBC-licensed stories produced by Big Finish are emphatically not fan fiction.

5. kirk55555

Dimensions in Time, The Curse of Fatal Death and The Scream of Shalka were all sanctioned by the BBC. None of them are canon (well, DiT might be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't). Neither are a bunch of sanctioned Doctor Who comics, like ones where The 1st Doctor had grade school age grandchildren named John and Gillian Who.

Calling it fanfiction is kind of just a way of describing their impact and lack of quality. technically, there is no BF story that seems to have been written by anyone who actually likes the show. I even question whether the people who write for BF have seen a single episode of any incarnation of Doctor Who, or if they just look at wikis and write from there. So, the fact that no one at BF seem to even like the franchise would make calling BF stuff "fanfiction" inaccurate. I guess calling BF stuff "cheap, non canon cash grab stories" would be more accurate, but its a bit long to have to type it out every time I talk about Big Finish.

6. Emperor-Tiberius

Yes, they are not canon because TPTB at the time said they weren't. They made the kind of statement that reflects that. Meanwhile, nothing that precludes anything else in the same way has ever been made. Period.

And that includes all the comics, and all the inconsistensies. Because as RTD and Moffat both argued, at the time they came out, they probably were true, and they did happen.

7. Emperor-Tiberius

Anyway. Speaking of regeneration, how about the scenes themselves?

Having recently exposed a NuWho friend of mine to OldWho via TV and audio stories, I've revisited them all, and I'd have to say, my favorite regeneration scene of all time might be Ten's, from a purely aesthetic, audiovisual POV. From the moment he sees Rose one last time (really the only one he should've seen in his "tour") to his actual "geronimo", the Doctor's goodbye is emotionally right. Sure, the line "I don't want to go" sound egotistical, but honestly, this is a Doctor who just started getting over the Time War. The scene wouldn't be the same without the epic Vale Dacem, which might be the single best piece of music Murray Gold has ever written for the show.

Beyond that, its Nine's regeneration that stands out, on-par with Five, Six and Eight's. They're all rather low-key and uneventful. Nine and accept it and puts up a brave face for Rose, though Five seems to be more worried about the effect, since he'd never died that way (and also, the Master was doing his tricks again, but that's a lesser fact to know). And Six just accepts it quietly, without pomposity and, crucially, without anyone to witness it, in a stark contrast with his birth, where he boasted "not a moment too soon." And its sad even, because he doesn't know that he caused that regeneration, and why he did it. Meanwhile, Eight's death is mostly symbolic, and McGann plays it perfectly... but I'll never escape the regret that he should've been the Warrior in Day of the Doctor. But given what we have, his is the only regeneration that could constitute as a sacrifice, since he gives up his identity in order to fight a war he doesn't believe in. A powerful moment, sold brilliantly by McGann. Love all of them.

Three's exit is also lovely, as Pertwee acts his way out of the show in a touching way. His interaction with Sarah Jane just works, and the decision to actually kill the Third Doctor in that moment is rather brave, because for a moment, you are wondering if the Doctor will regenerate at all. That said, the Abbott helping him out, while nice, is kinda like the Watcher and the Time Lords granting him a new cycle - it falls in the "Wha?!" category, and as such, it lessens Pertwee's performance a tad. Plus, the regeneration effect itself is rather poor, especially given the fact that its not an effect at all.

Tom Baker's last scene is iconic, and rightfully so. However, the whole Watcher thing... it just never sat right with me. It overshadows not only this scene, but the whole story, taking time and focus away from Baker himself, robbing him of an adventure worthy of his caliber. He simply deserved better. Meanwhile, after watching the TV Movie last week, I found myself appreciating McCoy's death even more. He literally doesn't say a lot in the story, and he dies purely by chance and incompetence. Not the end you'd expect for the Doctor during his Curse of Fenric phase, would it be?

Hartnell's original regeneration is the show's last great mystery, and fittingly it was his Doctor who gifted it to the show. as he left it. As much as I dislike the story itself for not giving his Doctor anything noteworthy to do as he was leaving, he still did well in that iconic regeneration scene, and that effect, which still works and is much better than anything done for the show until Five's regeneration into Six. As for Troughton... well, we never really saw him regenerate, have we? I mean, I know we're seeing regenerating, but its less about and more of a lyrical disintegration of the programme before our very eyes. The Troughton era, and indeed the '60's, end with an effect similar to how it all started, with a whirling effect. Brilliant.

The Warrior's regeneration is a big meh, for me. Never really cared for it. And the Meta Crisis... well, it can't be a cop-out, since he was never going to change, but it still feels as such.

EDIT: I was lukewarm to Eleven's final scene in the TARDIS, as I thought it too wordy... but after Twelfth's, I've warmed up to it. It kinda makes sense why he talks like that as its Clara he's doing this to, and the "like breath in a mirror" line is indeed precious. I like it overall, however narratively he should've regenerated at the tower, shouldn't he have? And I'd have prefered if it was Twelfth who's remove the bow tie.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. kirk55555

My favorite regeneration scene will always be 11s. He had the bet speech, and between the speech anseeing Amy at the end it was one of the most emotional Doctor Who moments for me.

Ones regeneration did suffer from the story not giving him much to do, but the scene itself was weird and differnet so it worked. The second never shows the regeneration, and I haven't seen Planet of Spiders so I can't comment on the thirds.

The 4ths regeneration gets ruined by The watcher. It makes no sense at all, and having Tom baker first change into a mummy then Peter Davison just looked bad. But, his actual death scene, right before the regeneration, was pretty good. Plus "Its the end...but the moment has been prepared for" is just a classic line.

The 5ths was overly long and I didn't like the visions in his head, but I did like the 6ths first line at the end. 6th's regeneration consisted of him hitting his head on the TARDIS console because of The Rani blasting the TARDIS and falling to the ground, and Colin Baker didn't even get to do it. So, his regeneration is easily the worst. Bonus negative points to his last words on screen being "carrot juice", although to be fair he didn't say that as he died so it doesn't really count as his last pre-regeneration words, just the last words we as viewers hear.

I LOVE the 7ths regeneration because I really dislike the evil version of the 7th Doctor and having him die of medical malpractice is what he deserved. The 8ths regeneration is pretty good, outside of him spouting some random names out that made some Who fans insufferable. The War Doctor's regeneration was just a small thing, but it felt like he was finally getting some peace and it worked.

The 9th's regeneration was ok, but nothing all that special. Ignoring the metacrisis, 10ths regeneration was very good. I liked his "I don't want to go" mentality, and it was a sad end. 12's regeneration was ok. His speech went on to long but it was still pretty entertaining.

9. Emperor-Tiberius

I've just seen Turn Left/The Stolen Earth/Journey's End and The End of Time. Well, its official - RTD's late DW finale writing was blockbuster, balls to the wall, nuts go fuck, end-all-be-all epic. Proper epic, too. And it works well with the series 4 finale... but it doesn't quite with EOT. In the latter, it come off as a tad much, as if stuffing a turkey with ice-cream. I love both, but maybe not at the same meal? As a result, while I think I enjoyed EOT more than ever before, it still isn't quite as good an exit for Ten as it probably should've been. From NuWho, I still think its the weakest story, though I've not revisited Time of the Doctor yet.

As for Ten's farewell tour... Well, after seeing the regeneration stories in chronological sequence... it makes less sense now than ever. I know its RTD saying goodbye to his DW, but... the Doctor's not dying. He's regenerating. He's not gonna change that much. I just think his exit was overplayed. Αnd no matter how many years go by, I'll always hate Mickey and Martha's nonsensical pairing.

Still, his last scene with Rose, and then the Ood... well, sure, again, too melodramatic, but at least he's not speaking endlessly to himself with no one present, and Vale Dacem is the best regeneration music ever. There.

10. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]