Bad Language in Discovery

I was 4 when I saw TNG for the first time. I don't specifically remember any of that scaring me, but Ursula in the Little Mermaid was terrifying to me. I also was very frightened of elements of Star Wars too. If Discovery was on when I was a kid and I watched it, I probably would've had nightmares for a month from the graphic violence. Kids also need good role models, and I don't see any of those in Discovery

Discovery isn't made for kids, so they really shouldn't be.

Don't like it, and honestly the star treks of the past were good enough that they DIDN'T NEED IT. One of the many things that makes Discovery NOT feel like star trek. I'm hoping that changes and they do the franchise justice, but time will tell.

Don't like it, and honestly the star treks of the past were good enough that they DIDN'T NEED IT. One of the many things that makes Discovery NOT feel like star trek. I'm hoping that changes and they do the franchise justice, but time will tell.
They may have not needed it but they did use it. Damn. Shit. Hell. Son of a bitch. Bitch by it's self.

They may have not needed it but they did use it. Damn. Shit. Hell. Son of a bitch. Bitch by it's self.
True, but some of those were reserved for the movies, not the TV series ;) Overall, the foul language isn't needed and was always kept to a minimum. In Discovery they're throwing it at us in the first episodes. A little bit disappointing but I'm still willing to give it a chance and hope it turns out to be a great series.

True, but some of those were reserved for the movies, not the TV series ;) Overall, the foul language isn't needed and was always kept to a minimum. In Discovery they're throwing it at us in the first episodes. A little bit disappointing but I'm still willing to give it a chance and hope it turns out to be a great series.
No it wasn't allowed. Damn and hell are from TOS and they had to fight for them.

Exactly, the previous shows didn't abstain from "fuck" because they deliberately chose to do so. They refrained because it was against the rules at the time. Those rules no longer apply so DISCO is free to use them where appropriate.

It's that simple.

I wanted to see how the scene would feel with the word cut right out. In my opinion, it turns this from a fun moment to a puzzling one, since the reactions don't make sense. Dubbing over it would be better, but still wouldn't have the same impact.

Still say it's not necessary. Throwing f-bombs in doesn't impress me or make me want to watch it more, just kind of a turn off really. Curse words were cool when I was 12, but after watching star trek for 42 years I don't need to hear it. Just my opinion.

Don't confuse your personal preference (which is fine) with the norm for society at large. And how does a TV show cursing "debase society", exactly? That's absurd.

It debases society, because the language children hear in a TV show (which they are going to watch regardless of the rating, because it is after all Star Trek) spoken by purportedly responsible and sophisticated adults is taken as acceptable and normal, and the children will emulate that language. So if Star Trek uses "F______g cool" as an expletive, and a second grader used the same expletive with her teacher in school when she gets a good grade, she can't be blamed for following the example she was shown. I mean if it's good enough for vaunted Starfleet, it's good enough for little girls, right? I just think we can set far better examples.

F__c is vulgar for copulation, and we don't teach second graders about that, do we? Should we? Shouldn't we afford them some childhood innocence? A Star Trek reboot more in the spirit of Roddenberry's original vision, versus recent alternative universe reboots, should be accessible to children as a hopeful future vision of humanity, without unnecessary adult aspects that make it unsuitable for their viewing. I know I'm hoping against hope in an ideal world that requires ever edgier content to compete commercially against other programming.

Also, while the word f__k can be used in passion in a respectful relationship, it is more commonly used when referring to the act in a base manner, without the aspect of love and unity and procreation that lovemaking is ideally more about. No doubt, many may regard this post as puritanical, but it's really more about advocating for human dignity and respect, and especially in the supposedly evolved Star Trek universe of higher sensibilities.

Not just profanity, but things are so "cool," and so on. They need to work on writing better dialogue.

It debases society, because the language children hear in a TV show (which they are going to watch regardless of the rating, because it is after all Star Trek) spoken by purportedly responsible and sophisticated adults is taken as acceptable and normal, and the children will emulate that language. So if Star Trek uses "F______g cool" as an expletive, and a second grader used the same expletive with her teacher in school when she gets a good grade, she can't be blamed for following the example she was shown. I mean if it's good enough for vaunted Starfleet, it's good enough for little girls, right? I just think we can set far better examples.

F__c is vulgar for copulation, and we don't teach second graders about that, do we? Should we? Shouldn't we afford them some childhood innocence? A Star Trek reboot more in the spirit of Roddenberry's original vision, versus recent alternative universe reboots, should be accessible to children as a hopeful future vision of humanity, without unnecessary adult aspects that make it unsuitable for their viewing. I know I'm hoping against hope in an ideal world that requires ever edgier content to compete commercially against other programming.

Also, while the word f__k can be used in passion in a respectful relationship, it is more commonly used when referring to the act in a base manner, without the aspect of love and unity and procreation that lovemaking is ideally more about. No doubt, many may regard this post as puritanical, but it's really more about advocating for human dignity and respect, and especially in the supposedly evolved Star Trek universe of higher sensibilities.

IMHO, I think most profanity these days acts as a form of punctuation. By the time kids
are in middle school, they've heard it all and just need education as to appropriate usage.
To this day, I don't swear around my mother, but with her best friend swear like a sailor.

And it's telling that the words deemed most offensive refer to sexual activity. An odd indicator
of our societal mindset.
My 1.3 cents.

:)

Certain words are only "offensive" if we as a society keep giving them that kind of power over us. The moment Tilly said f bomb wasn't funny merely because she said the word, it was funny because of context. Her chirpy enthusiasm, her immediate backpedalling, Stammets telling her it's okay. It's a cute moment and provided a lot of levity, which is more appealing to me than simply using the word in a more cliched manner like in a moment of tension like those PG-13 movies that try using it in a dramatic moment.

So if anyone was offended by that moment and think it will ruin society, you're a fuddy duddy.

A FUDDY DUDDY.

Now, would that have been more offensive if I used "motherfucker" instead, or is the context itself fine enough that it didn't matter whether I used "fuddy duddy" or "motherfucker", since the intention is apparent?

Context, folks. That's more powerful than one small meaningless word.

This scene made a current affair news show in Australia.
It was the first time I'd seen "Discovery" mentioned on mainstream TV here.
It was headlined something like after 50 years Star Trek has swearing. The show panel members denied ever watching Star Trek but speculated whether swearing was necessary.

If it claimed that there has never been swearing in Trek at all until now, then that's just bad reporting, as shown by the various examples cited earlier in this thread.

I wish reporters could bother to do ten seconds' worth of research. :rolleyes:

Kor

Didn't McCoy say damn it a couple of times in TOS? I know they certainly dropped some cursing in the movies so it's not like Trek hasn't cursed before.

I was 4 when I saw TNG for the first time. I don't specifically remember any of that scaring me, but Ursula in the Little Mermaid was terrifying to me. I also was very frightened of elements of Star Wars too. If Discovery was on when I was a kid and I watched it, I probably would've had nightmares for a month from the graphic violence.

But kids like being scared sometimes. The original OUTER LIMITS tv series freaked me out as a kid; I still watched it religiously and collected the trading cards, too. And dare I admit that the Salt Vampire and the Horta and the Squire of Gothos scared Little Greg, too? As I recall, DARK SHADOWS gave me nightmares the first time I watched an episode at my aunt's house. Never missed an episode afterwards, and I devoured the comic books and tie-in novels as well. Ditto for Nightmare Theater on Friday nights, Hammer horror movies, etc. The scarier the better.

When did "scary" become a bad thing? TOS certainly didn't shy away from horror or monsters. Hell, there was even an episode about Jack the Ripper! :)

Last edited:
Back