Bad Language in Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jamie Calderhead, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. They can't quote Shakespeare all the time. :)

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's always nice when people who actually understand writing comment on things like this, instead of fanboys who THINK they know how shows are written. ;) ;)

AKA, Thanks Greg, for chiming in on a topic that really shouldn't even exist. ;)

KennyB likes this.
  3. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know... "Thou elvish-mark'd, abortive, rooting hog!" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Refuge likes this.
  4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blahblahblah.

It was announced early on that they could do "language" and stuff. Everything I saw here and other places were like "YEAH! FINALLY! BRING IT ON!"

So now that it's actually happened, some folks are surprised? Really? It's on a PAY service. If you don't like it, don't pay for it.

I'd be surprised if the same complainers aren't frequent watchers of other shows with frequent profanity and near-explicit sex scenes.

Really, just stop with the feigned puritanism.

5. urbandefault

Supermarket? Like Safeway? :lol:

Come to America, dude. It ain't all Wyatt Earp here.

Kor and Feron like this.
  6. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

The only bad language I remember was the shit way the fucking Klingons talk. where's fucking chang to give these dickheads some lessons.

7. urbandefault

If you want to shock your kids with language and visuals, sit them down in front of Trailer Park Boys.*

*RIP John Dunsworth

The Wormhole likes this.
  8. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8 year olds shouldn't be watching this show anyway.

And.

Who is everyone here complaining about?

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Oh, it would be. You've been a fan long enough to this.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was talking about me personally. :techman:

11. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah your being fucking prudish.

Go watch voyger or TNG with your kid.

Discovery is marketed at a mpre mature audience and the age recommendation says as such.

Plenty of soft trek for 8 years olds you can watch.

12. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Errrr then dont let them watch discovery........ geez hardly rocket science is it?

Plenty of "soft" trek to let them watch.....

It was made clear all through development discovery would be for mature audiences and it has a clear age rating. If your delicate little ears cant take a few swear words you should stop watching......simple as.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

A mature audience that yells at people and tells them to go away. Think they may be wasting their time.

14. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone really believe it just wasn't a gimmick because the writers decided to do it.. somewhere, anywhere beforehand? They were going to do it because they want to be known for doing it. That's all. If it fits in a scene that's just a happy co-incidence. If it looked kind of clunky then - tough shit. (That's naughty language purely because I could BTW).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Now you're accusing people of being duals in order to carry on your existing grudge? You are not a mod, and you've been told by the actual mods to knock off the personal remarks and mini-modding numerous times now.

Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.

Push The Button likes this.
  17. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I thought it was a stupid attempt to make the characters relate more with 21st century people. If they're going to drop it, drop it in a crisis. Interesting how none of the show runners have an issue with this. But they told Issacs never to use God. I have news for the show runners. Go back and watch TOS: Bread and Circuses.. Especially the end.

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was clarified later by a producer or another writer that it had to do with Lorca specifically not every character in the show.

Feron likes this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's not a "gimmick" if it fits the scene and the characters, which it did, IMHO. Every piece of dialogue is a choice. You choose the words that get the job done as opposed to whatever other words are available. Sure, because this particular word had never been used on a STAR TREK show before, it raised eyebrows, but it didn't feel forced to me. And the only reason it hadn't been used before was because of the broadcast Standards and Practices of the times. Those don't apply in this case, so there's no reason to subscribe to them anymore.

And now that we've got over this hump, they can say "fuck" again if it seems suitable. So what's the big deal?

Ovation, KennyB, Brefugee and 2 others like this.
  20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You want something really shocking, try watching the friendly-edited versions of Trailer Park Boys that Showcase did up so that they could air the show during daytime hours. It's more or less a constant string of bleeps, despite the fact the only words they bleeped in these versions were fuck and cock.