Bad Language in Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jamie Calderhead, Oct 21, 2017.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like they used it as a positive thing, "This is so fucking cool!" as opposed to using it as a means to degrade someone ("Fucking Klingons!" etc)

BeatleJWOL, Psion, Levi and 13 others like this.
  2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. That I liked.

3. toby

toby Ensign Newbie

You're right. I'd like to add that I didn't enjoy their use of the word either, but not for the same reason as OP. I believe this is the first time Trek has dropped it, and it's no surprise to me that Discovery was the one to do it. This is a show that continually tries too hard to be cool. And what's cool these days? Heavy serialization, dark themes, dark rooms, gore and violence, lots of action, lots of CGI, steamy sex scenes (coming I'm sure), plot twists (Voq hmm), guessing who's next to RIP, and yes swearing. So of course it went there. But it hadn't earned it. It didn't feel right, it didn't feel organic. It felt like another "How do you do, fellow kids?" to let folks on social media bust out their favorite Trek reaction GIF in response.

Star Trek would ideally be the opposite of a Pixar film: catered to adults, but enjoyable for children as well. But that means focusing on what makes Trek great: exploration, adventure, optimism, and people one can admire and aspire to be. And that's just not what a show like Discovery is. If you think a few curse words are why you can't watch this with the kids, you're wrong.

Indysolo, Jadeb, Refuge and 3 others like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The writers/producers already confirmed there won't be.

I wouldn't call the use of 'fuck' in DSC to be edgy or cool, and it was used in a positive light, it wasn't used negatively.

mos6507 likes this.
  5. Boomstick

Boomstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was no more offensive than the colourful metaphors in The Voyage Home

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see your points. Although I understand why people feel this way, I also feel that tv and movies change over the decades, and that if this show was made exactly like, for example, TNG it would feel totally out of place in today's style.

However, there is also personal preferences. And if someone doesn't like to hear the word fuck on a tv show, that's cool.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

F-bombs are soooo 21st-Century.

Everyone knows p'takh and veruul are far better curse words in Trek.

Vger23 likes this.
  8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

You mean like The Orville? It seems someone thought there's a market for that.

Perfect way to distill the show down to one thing. It definitely comes across as too "try-hard".

Jadeb likes this.
  9. Mage

Dunno, haven't seen The Orville. Seems to much like a show that tries to hard to be funny. And I'm Dutch, we don't have any channels that air it here.

10. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I am glad they are finally talking like adults, swearing and all.

11. Snarfies

Snarfies Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ha ha bad language we are lucky that there is no complaint about the Gay couple (ship docter and Lt. Paul Stamets) at Discovery. Atleast progress is made on the side.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was this worse than "SOB" being thrown around gratuitously in almost every other episode of ENT?

Kor

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I found it both charming and refreshing. It added a welcome touch of humor and humanity to a rather heavy dose of technobabble, and showed us a lighter side of Stamets as well. .

In other words, I thought it was fucking cool. :)

And basically the 21st-century version of Kirk saying "Let's get the hell out of here" back in the sixties.

14. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've not let the kids watch because of the violence and themes are a little much, but they hear fuck in the playground, supermarket, and even in the car if I'm listening to Radio 4. So long as I can protect them from hearing it in Liverpool, with dare fooking dis and dare fooking dat, I think I can cope.

gblews likes this.
  15. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what the problem is. Swearing has been in Star Trek since The Voyage Home:

Also, ST09:

Also Into Darkness:

AND Beyond:

We're only now fussing about it becuase... why? It's fuck instead of shit?

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

Hell, swearing's been in STAR TREK since at least "City on the Edge of Forever." Kirk saying "let's get the hell out of here" was definitely pushing the envelope when it came to American prime-time television in 1966.

The more things change . . . .

17. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I think most people consider the JJ stuff to be its own thing separate from the rest of Trek (and to be fair they sort of did that themselves on purpose).

Gillian did say that in STIV but Kirk treated such language as a bit of of a curiosity and she was technically the old timey human in that story.

Data also said "shit" in Generations which to me felt really forced and only done for a laugh line.

In the case of this show it just felt like they wanted to justify their rating. It was still strange to hear it (and I say that word all the time). When you go 700 hours without ever really hearing words like that it just becomes part of the fabric of that universe (like saying frak in BSG).

18. Mage

As a non-American, I can tell you the rest of the world still kinda snickers a bit when you guys can buy guns in a friggin supermarket but freak out about the fucking fuck word. Let alone two men kiss!!!

Two women though is awesome appereantly, because hot lesbians are marketable.....

19. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh? Star Trek is Star Trek. We're not talking Prime versus Kelvin universe.

UncleRogi and Nerys Myk like this.
  20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't give a shit about them saying fuck on Star Trek. My issue was how awkward the scene was filmed, Tilly says "this is really fucking cool" or whatever the line was and everyone just stops and stares at her for a moment, which mainly served to emphasize that this is the franchise's first F-bomb. "Hey guys, our first F-bomb in fifty years. Bask in it."

Jadeb, Refuge and Kor like this.