Babylon 5

They're not even including the extras made for the old DVD sets? That's surprising . . . unless they're planning for a double dip release.

With no extras, I think I'll be holding off at least until I have a serious craving to revisit the show. I've got plenty of other shows to watch in the meantime.

My copy of The Road Home arrives today. Updates later - no spoilers.

ETA: Weirdly, Amazon stated arrival today in email, but order tracking states next Monday, so I doubt I'm receiving it early.

Last edited:
I know years ago, when I did buy dvd box sets on a regular basis from amazon, if I preordered a set, there were times when I receive it as early as 4 days ahead of the release date. It wasn't often, but it definitely wasn't that rare, either.

Perhaps a stroke of good luck?

My copy of The Road Home showed up today. It's... very Babylon 5. Right down to the awkward exposition-of-things-the-characters-all-know-but-newcomers-in-the-audience-might-not.

I enjoyed it. Some of the recasts clicked right away, others took a little while to work for me, but I'd be happy if the series continued and we got more with them.

I appreciate the effort that went into recreating the original show's aesthetics. The sets that are from the original show seemed like pretty much perfect matches, and the new ones fit right in. As for exteriors, the space scenes could sit right alongside Foundation Imaging's work.

They did a great job recreating a number of stock and establishing shots from the original series.

As for the music, it mostly faded into the background, but I did appreciate the use of Franke's S1/S2 main title music at the beginning/end.

I haven't listened to the commentary yet so maybe these are answered there...
Think I noticed one small chronology bug early on: Sheridan's dad said it was 2258, but shouldn't it be 2259 if Sheridan just took command of B5?

Also, the Starfury pilot didn't get a name in the credits, but was he supposed to be Keffer? Okay, probably not given JMS's dislike of the character, but I still want to pretend it is.

Last edited:
My copy of The Road Home showed up today. It's... very Babylon 5. Right down to the awkward exposition-of-things-the-characters-all-know-but-newcomers-in-the-audience-might-not.

I enjoyed it. Some of the recasts clicked right away, others took a little while to work for me, but I'd be happy if the series continued and we got more with them.
My copy isn't coming in until Wednesday.

=|

I haven't listened to the commentary yet so maybe these are answered there...
Think I noticed one small chronology bug early on: Sheridan's dad said it was 2258, but shouldn't it be 2259 if Sheridan just took command of B5?

That may be an error, don't know. But there are several retcons even before the timeline jumps, like:
Zack Allen seems to be a different person, Number One is MIA, flashbacks to ground battles during the Shadow War, Shadow soldiers with shields, a re-designed Battle Crab, etc...
I think this was all a deliberate choice not to hem too closely to the original. We're 25 years later, in a new medium, with half new actors. Things will be slightly different even outside the plot's multiverse shenanigans.

That may be an error, don't know. But there are several retcons even before the timeline jumps, like:
Zack Allen seems to be a different person, Number One is MIA, flashbacks to ground battles during the Shadow War, Shadow soldiers with shields, a re-designed Battle Crab, etc...
I don't think Zack was in it at all... Just because he and Number One don't appear isn't necessarily a retcon; it just means they were offscreen.

Ground battles with the Shadows may technically be a retcon, but there's precedent with the station being boarded by Shadows in the flashforwards in "Babylon Squared"/"War Without End".

I don't think Zack was in it at all... Just because he and Number One don't appear isn't necessarily a retcon; it just means they were offscreen.
I mean in this specific shot. Right to left the original was Number One, Vir, Lochley, Zack, Ta'lon. Again, doesn't bother me that they changed it, just shows there are slight differences. Edit: And they gave Vir a soul patch, lol. https://imgur.com/a/7M2aZry

My copy arrived yesterday. This was definitely B5 to its core - the characters felt right, the humor felt like it was of a piece with older material (including corny lines that didn't quite land), and so on.

The visuals were strong and the story was heartfelt. Most of the recasted voice actors worked; G'Kar didn't quite give the same experience, but Andreas Katsulas had a unique cadence so that may have been impossible.

While I enjoyed The Road Home overall, the story ultimately doesn't strike me as "essential B5" and it feels like the multiversal travels Sheridan went on retread ground already covered in the series proper. Still, a fun little animated movie and if this can lead to further projects that can be more expansive, then I'm all for it and will be grateful.

I was surprised that the movie
ended in one of the alternate timelines, rather than returning to "our" timeline.
Will be interested to hear if JMS addresses that in the commentary when I listen to it.

EDIT: Apparently JMS addressed the spoiler in an interview with SFX Magazine.

Last edited:
I'm especially envious of people who received their copy early after Amazon promised mine would be delivered on Friday but instead decided to keep me hanging until Monday. It's probably not going to be essential B5, much like Lost Tales. I think Crusade would have the best prospect for a reboot - although it would need a different name. A reboot of B5 in a different timeline is kind of same old, same old.

Back