Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That’s an interesting statement.

I can see being wary of telepaths but even somebody you know personally who have proven themselves?

It gets to an interesting topic, how do we really treat a person with an advantage? Where is the line where our belief in individual freedoms loses out to our pure risk averse self preservation.

I wrote a webcomic where the heroes protected a genetically engineered shapeshifter assassin so I think it’s a very interesting debate without a clear answer.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. trekshark

trekshark Commander Red Shirt

it's available via neflix dvd

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

...in the US, presumably. I also have it on DVD and I'm amazed by how rewatchable it is - despite the subpar music and signs of studio interference. It helps to watch it in a viewing order other than how it was originally broadcast. Unfortunately, there is no consistently best order. I follow JMS's suggested order.

4. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have been trying to re-watch all 5 seasons of the show. And I found out for some strange reason the Disc 3 from my season 1 set no longer works! Nothing wrong that I could see. No scratches or anything. So odd. So I am having to get the set from our library to see if their Disc 3 works. So Disc 3 is: Deathwalker, Believers, Survivors, and By Any Means Necessary. I could live without Believers. But I don't recall the B plots on these shows. So I need to see if I can watch them from the library. Really a shame about my set though :( Anyone else have that happen?

5. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Disc 3 in my set plays but it always freezes and skips a a scene in Survivors.

6. flavaflav

flavaflav Fleet Captain Premium Member

There are a lot of bad B5 discs out there. Season 4 disc 2 (I think) sticks out. I've come across multiple bad copies of that one.

7. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

My season 5 disc one did that to me a few times, but then I tried it in another dvd player and it was fine.

Do you have another one you can try it in?

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

CDs and DVDs do deteriorate with age. I've had a couple older (and probably cheaper) discs act like they were scratched even with no visible damage.

9. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

It can depend on the player's inbuilt error-correction software. Best bet if no player is working is to try it in a PC-based DVD player as these are often most up-to-date.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I’d prefer it if my disc skipped that episode entirely. :nyah:

All kidding aside, I ditched my discs several years ago and purchased B5 digitally on iTunes since I have an Apple TV.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I find my PS3 will also play discs that have DVD-rot. There have been a few really bad ones (and really these are ones where I can see clear daylight through holes)that it won’t play, but otherwise it’ll play just about any disc.

12. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for all the interest. I did try it on a dvd player and also in the built in "dvd" in our tv. But no good.( All the other dics work)
    I have to share a funny thing that just happened to me. Our library a few times a year has sales on books and dvds and such. So I thought I would go and try my luck. When I found for $5 a season one set of B5 set 3. I was so happy. Then I saw it was in Chinese! Yeah, I didn't get it. But so funny the set I needed and not in English. Oh, well! Laugh at life. At least I got to watch the set the library lent me. And in English! I could live without Deathwalker and Believers. But not without Survivors and By Any Means Necessary. I love the "b plot" on By Any Means Necessary-Mollari and G'Kar fighting over religious items, so fun!!

13. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Get one of those disk repair kits. They actually work.