Avery Brooks Blacklisted?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ichab, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back when DS9 was starting, I had heard some things about Brooks. Nothing terribly bad. But something that indicated he had his quirks. I'm sure those shows up on the things he worked on. But his career seems to have flashed. Happens sometimes. He started out in 84. Landed the role of Hawk in Spencer and did that role for all of Spencer and his own spin off as Hawk. Then there is nothing for 4 years. Then he got DS9 and did 4 more Spencer movies and a few other movies. But he really hasn't done anything since 2001. In today's climate I can't see how he could be blacklisted. There are plenty who would hire a good actor and ignore anything like that. I think he had a good income and if he lives wisely, probably doesn't need to work. Plus he is still married to the same woman (celebrated 45 years this year) who seems to have retired herself. I think he is more likely retired than blacklisted and is probably is selective about what jobs he takes. I see nothing in his work history that indicate any issues working with him. He wouldn't have gotten his own spinoff if he was difficult to work with and he wouldn't have such a tight and short body of work. Mostly starring roles as well. I think the data shows that he hasn't needed to work or found a part he couldn't resist. I'm sure for the right part you could temp him. I think the rest is just rumor and hearsay.

2. Watersluis

Watersluis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What I find far stranger is that actors that are notoriously impossible to work with such as Edward Norton do continue to be hired.
    What reason would any studio have to risk Edward Norton? Apparently the actor was recast as the Hulk due to many difficulties.

3. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mods, I think you need to lock this thread.

This thread isn't going anywhere or getting more productive.

kkt likes this.
  4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

GNDN18, XCV330, Vale and 2 others like this.
  5. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was under the impression that Brooks had retired from acting and was happily teaching at a university?

Vale, Farscape One and kkt like this.
  6. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think that is the case. Some actors stay active all their life. Others don't.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think this thread has run it's course. If by some miracle someone has proof of this so-called blacklisting I'll entertain re-opening it, but for now, consider this discussion over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.