Ares IV - 16 years

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by fenwyk79, Sep 1, 2016.

1. fenwyk79

fenwyk79 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd love to see us (by 'us' I'm referring to humanity as opposed to any specific nationality) be able to hit this milestone of reaching Mars by 2032. It doesn't seem like it's impossible to me. A great deal of it is just a matter of some serious money and finding the "Right Stuff" when it comes to people. The hardest part would be trying to get any potential astronauts back home again after getting them there (that's the fun portion of it - at least from what I've read on the subject).

One aspect of Trek that has always seemed entertaining to me was that the tech and ability either comes far earlier than what was expected on the series (communicators = cell phones, PADDS = pads, view screens = flat screen televisions, voice computers/laptops, etc.) and how much of Trek has inspired technology while at the same time doing a shoddy time of predicting our advancement into space.

I know it personally bothers me that the U.S. has to piggyback on Sovie... err, Russian shuttles, to get back and forth to space and that NASA's a pale comparison to what it once was in time. I can understand the argument that we have more pressing matters than sending someone(s) to Mars - but doing it would also lead to amazing innovation and technological breakthroughs just like when Mr. Armstrong took his one small step.

On the bright side, at least no genetically modified super villain has led us to WWIII and caused millions to perish. Of course, there is that 'Coming Singularity' which could do the same...

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ares_IV?file=AresIV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

An endeavor of this magnitude begins with the smallest of steps...like putting your post in the right forum. Think this one's for Science & Technology.

Also, that image appeared to be hotlinked from a non-image-hosting site, so I converted it to a link. Board rules.

3. fenwyk79

fenwyk79 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ah, apologies...

I'll get the swing of this, just please don't slide into me with Ty Cobb's cleats.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Elon Musk might manage it -- if he can solve the new problem of one of his rockets blowing up and the stock price of his companies sliding.

5. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

That's like saying "I might be able to solve world hunger... if I can solve the problem of my nuts sticking to my thigh when I sit down too long."

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So I take it you don't get the correlation that money and reliable technology are things that might be needed to get to mars?

7. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm saying that THIS PARTICULAR problem is as much an obstacle to Musk achieving that as unsticking my nuts to my leg is an obstacle to world hunger.

Basically, it's a sort of mundane issue that doesn't really change anything but you can't really move on until you've finished with it.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So you really don't see a correlation? Because those two issues have direct effects on achieving that goal, unlike your analogy of nuts and world hunger.

YellowSubmarine likes this.
  9. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, potential for losing billions from future customers is not mundane, and can surely hamper your ability to make missions to Mars without having people willing to pay for those yet. Although, rocket science and all, we can hope that this is not yet a concern. Besides, I still consider the first blow up to not be SpaceX's fault, so until the current investigation completes, one explosion to worry about for me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016