Are you the 1701?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Dec 17, 2012.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I am 1701...

Number 6's long lost descendant..., still trying to escape from 'The Village'.

:cool:

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    "THERE CAN BE ONLY 1701!"

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Indeed.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Completely out of nowhere, but I wonder if the implied meaning is that Kirk & the crew aren't the 1701?

Different universe. A later NCC-1701 built. What if this Enterprise isn't the Enterprise?

What if there were another, that got lost and whose fate was a mystery or a classified secret.

Afterwards instead commissioning a starship with the -A suffix, they gave the name to another ship and pretended nothing ever happened.

It's a bit Babylon 5 meets Titanic/Olympic conspiracy sure enough.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Since the purpose of the site (going by what happened last time around) will be to run a viral mystery- or puzzle-type game as promotion for the movie, I think to assume an implication of that sort might be reaching just a bit.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. If anything, I'd say that the one thousand, seven hundred and first person to sign up on that site will end up with some sort of treat.

8. ChristopherPike

They'll have already passed 1701 signatures I'd imagine.

I don't know. My theory would fit the detonate the fleet (whatever that means) and all it stands for. There's that starship crashing into SF bay. Talk of a villain from within Starfleet who has returned and wants vengeance. Doesn't have to be a crew member from an Enterprise history forgot of course... But there has to be some reasoning behind asking the question posed by the domain name. We know one of the writers, Bob Orci, is obsessive about conspiracies of all sorts. You have a site asking "Are you the 1701?", directed there onscreen as an easter egg, from the trailer itself and I think it's right to have some slight suspicion of motive.

And there's generally some in-universe narrative even to the trivial stuff. Whole backstory in the alt universe bios on the old site... U.S.S. Kelvin and Abramsprise characters, with Admiral Archer having been Scotty's teacher at the Academy, which always seemed too much of a stretch to me. He'd have a lot of engineering background, due to having a family connection and having worked on Starfleet's early warp programs, but becoming an expert on transporters too? He was close to Emory Ericksson, so I guess that's possible... providing he's non-too decrepit.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. The Wormhole

And maybe that person has their reward and has been sworn to secrecy about it. We know Abrams is really into that. The site is still up so that the next 1701st person can get another prize.

The simplest explanations are usually the correct ones.

10. ChristopherPike

If real life that's probably true, but for entertainment purposes it's a bit of a dull explanation... It also doesn't fuel much debate. That it only rewards a single fan in every lot of 1701 is a bit pointless given the effort. You'd think there'd be greater reason than that, and rewards aren't all about prizes. You'd think learning new stuff about the storyline as you go along, is more what they'd aim for.

Previously I dismissed the April's Gatling Gun theory, as a prop needed in time for that particular month in question. That was production design sketch which caught somebody's eye at a press event.

And Peter Weller was caught off guard on a red carpet event once by Trekmovie, remarking "do I look like an alien?" plus that he had a ship. A photo of his kid sat in the Captain's Chair (like that of the Enterprise) on his phone was shown to the reporter in question.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Signed up. Now we just sit and wait. Oh well, I've had lots of practice doing that.

12. The Wormhole

Maybe it's a big prize? A chance to be part of the movie's test audience or something like that?

If there's one thing I've learned about these jokers it's that they don't want to give anything away about the storyline. Total secrecy isn't practical these days, but they're trying for the next best thing.

13. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

:guffaw: