Are You Afraid Of Dying???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by All Seeing Eye, Aug 3, 2010.

?

Are You Afraid Of Dying???

1. YES

34.3%
  2. NO

65.7%
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Done it a couple of times before, so it's more the *means* of it that would be frightening.

2. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of leaving my children before they are ready.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm not, because we aren't really going to die, we're just going to ascend to the Fourth Density before the space lizards attack Earth. Right, Tachy? ;)

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

agreed. in fact, if i find out i've got Alzheimer's at an early stage (and assuming there's no cure for it still), i'm not going to let it turn me into a burden on anyone, i'll check out early. probably in a stolen car at 130MPH into a brick wall.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'll play him in a few rounds of simple, fun, table-top games to eventualy win back my life!

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Actually, most people fear a painful death.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Hard question to answer as I am not afraid of death but I am afraid that my dying might be very painful.

8. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Kind of, yeh. :)

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Of course I'm afraid of death, which is why I plan to never go through with it. Fear of death is about the most basic instinct there is; death is also literally inconceivable, which is why every culture has invented an afterlife.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yes. This. Death happens. Death comes for us all. That doesn't make it pleasant, and it doesn't make it something to look forward to, particularly at a young age. However, I am more terrified of losing my memory, of being like my grandfather, who passed away in terror, who didn't recognize anyone when he died. He was a dying man in a room full of strangers, and that thought just terrifies me more than death itself.

11. Docbrown777

Docbrown777 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Death is a primitive concept. I prefer to think of it as battling evil in another dimension. :cool:

12. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not afraid, but I'd prefer to live to be around 200 or so.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? It happens. It comes for most of us all. And you won't care anyway if you're suffer from dementia, lose your memory and die.

14. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tried it once. Didn't agree with me at all...

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I would no longer be me, and yes, I would have a problem with that. It's tragic because it's one thing for your body to expire from natural age. It's another for your mind to be betrayed and everything that made you "you" is now long gone, and you're nothing but pitied and coddled until you die. It's a tragedy.

16. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

Having seen people with dementia die, you couldn't be more wrong. Most of them are well aware of the fact that they are dying (or at least very ill), but unlike the rest of us they cannot take comfort in the fact that they are surrounded by and will be remembered by their loved ones.

For most, dying with dementia is dying terrified and alone.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But if you're dead, you're gone, too. Where's the difference?

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

After I voted I realised I should of put no because I am not fearful of Dying but I am of death. The only thing that not scares me but dissapoints me is the rest of history will continue and that is well forever (trillions of years) and I will not get to experience any of it.

The idea of nothing is not a pleasant one but at least you won't know your experiencing it.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Because, during your last moment alive, you're not able to receive ANY comfort or make ANY last good-byes, or even be allowed the one last joy of your memories. That's why it's sad, and makes the experience almost downright horrific.

I'm watching my father slowly lose every bit of himself. He's not the man he was meant to be; he forgets the most basic things and soon won't even remember who he himself is. I would rather he pass before that happens, so he can be allowed at least some moments of peace rather than dying terrified, alone and without any emotional comfort at all.

Sarek is talking about the process of dying; it's something we all have to go through. It would be easier to face if we at least had enough of our faculties to be able to recognize the faces of our loved ones, be comforted by their presence and our memories of being together.

20. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes I am terribly afraid to die because I don't believe any part of me will survive my bodily death. And so by definition I can't imagine what death will be like since I can't use my existence to imagine my non-existence. Death is thus the ultimate unknown.

I have also spent most of my life being suicidal so of course that has made me a rather confused and unhappy person.:shrug::sigh: