Are there people in the federation who want to practice honor, like the doc young son ep?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by hxclespaulplayer, Apr 20, 2018.

1. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

We see so little of contemporary humanoid society, like the Q2 party in the warp core. Is it realistic that adolescent humans would want to impress Klingons?

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

For some reason i always equated the Klingon thing the doc's son was going through to a goth phase.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just like there are endless lifestyles today, I'm sure there will be in the future. I can easily imagine ones inspired by alien cultures.

Hell, there are people who dress up like Klingons today, and one guy even robbed a convenience store with a Bat-leth!
    IT'S NOT A PHASE DAD, IT'S WHO I AM

4. Sad Kelpian Child

Sad Kelpian Child Admiral Admiral

Why wouldn't kids want to prove they can hang out with Klingons? Like getting into the cool clique.

You think in the evolved human future, teenagers don't want to rebel against their parents?

5. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think @Sophie74656 would like to hang out with klingons :shrug:

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

I would think that if it was something that came up and seemed to be a relatively normal thing for a teen to do, that it must by extension be common. As I recall, B'Elanna 'spiced up' the doctors program to make things 'more realistic'...or in other words more in line with what parents may commonly be dealing with at that time. So, if we can suppose all of that, we can suppose that 'real people' are doing that on earth or other human federation colonies at that time period. And likely, there would be people trying to imitate other cultures as well. It happens during our time now, people become fascinated by a particular culture and want to be absorbed in it. I can't see humans changing that part of their nature in the next 300 years. Of course, none of this is mentioned canonically as far as I know...

8. Sad Kelpian Child

Sad Kelpian Child Admiral Admiral

Hanging with Klingons is the 24th century equivalent of hanging with a motorcycle gang.

9. Sophie74656

B'elanna didn't add anything specific. She put in an algorithm for some random events to happen.

TheQman likes this.
  10. TheQman

TheQman Captain Captain

True, I thought of that just after I replied. LOL. So, canonically there isn't much to this. But, the Doctor didn't seem totally shocked by the behavior, he didn't appreciate it, but wasn't totally shocked. :-)

11. Sophie74656

Well i did go through a goth phase in college ;)

12. Sophie74656

Well in all seriousness, in the Federation theh have access to information about many different species and cultures. I would not be surprised if there are people who try to emulate other cultures that have traits they admire. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people emulating Klingons and Vulcans and others

TheQman likes this.