Arcane

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nerroth, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

Arcane is a nine-part series on Netflix, based on the world and characters of Riot Games' League of Legends franchise. The voice cast includes Hawkeye's Hailee Steinfeld, Star Trek: Prodigy's Ella Purnell, and Lucifer's Kevin Alejandro.

Six episodes have been posted to this point: any thoughts on how this series is shaping up thus far?

For my part, I wasn't familiar with the games or setting before watching this, but there's enough there for me to wonder if/when they might expand upon the world of Runeterra in further animated offerings. (Plus, given how popular they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually took a side-step into whichever alternate universe allowed them to focus a story on K/DA...)

2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

So far this show has been a masterpiece on animated storytelling. Solid vocal performances all around, strong art style, character animation that's more emotive than even most theatrical animated projects, surprisingly grounded and brutally gritty given the quasi-high fantasy/steampunk setting, yet it never wallows in that aspect, instead remaining vibrant and energetic thorough.

Full disclosure: I've never played League of Legends (tried DOTA once and quickly decided MOBAs aren't my thing) so I went into this totally blind, which honestly feels like the best way to go. There's a major twist in the first few episodes that I feel like any existing fan would have seen coming a mile off, given that this appears to be a prequel for a handful of the established characters.

3. Nerroth

All nine episodes of season 1 are now available.

In addition, it was announced that season 2 is in development:

Also, I wonder how many vaguely blue-ish "champions" with
    serious parenting issues and unauthorized access to dangerously experimental technologies
    Ella Purnell can voice before the word "typecast" gets bandied around...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  4. Ziyal's Ghost

Ziyal's Ghost Ensign Red Shirt

I haven't been on here for a while so I don't know if this should be a thread I don't respond to since of how much time has passed since the last message. Sorry in advance to any mods. I'm responding to it because there's no other discussion about the subject so far.

I just gotta say I absolutely loved Arcane. I wish more people saw it. I don't I had any problems with it but I should probably rewatch to see.

Anyway, the animation was perfect. Story writing, music, voice acting, the characters were all great. The attention to detail and art style was amazing. The world building was great too. It'd be cool for them to expand on it more. I can't wait for season 2.

My favorite character was Vander and Ekko. I wish I could have adopted Powder/Jinx, the poor girl. My favorite song is Our Love and the Ekko and Jinx fight was my favorite fight scene.

I didn't have any prior knowledge to League really except playing it once and then got bored. I was playing a gun slinging pirate, don't remember her name. Oh, and randomly reading some lore 5 years ago before immediately forgeting it.

I looked at a lore comparison video after I watched the series and even read a lot of info about the characters in arcane to get a better sense of it all. So far, I like it a lot (meaning arcane and related lore) and I hope they do more stuff like this in the future besides for season 2. I don't know what the next series would be though if they did.

5. Nerroth

The pirate character you might be thinking of could be Miss Fortune. She's one of the playable Champions in the Riot Forge-published spinoff game Ruined King:

There are certainly plenty of other places on Runeterra Prime they could turn to if they wanted to broaden the focus of Arcane beyond Piltover and Zaun.

That said, perhaps a second show could take an Into the Spider-Verse approach towards some of League of Legends' alternate realities, such as this one:

In the longer run, however, I'm hoping that Riot Games might reach the point where they also give the Arcane treatment to their newer VALORANT IP:

6. 777

777 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just watched this. brilliant series.