Anyone here collect the Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection issues?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Extrocomp, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to know if the Brazilian comics reprinted in issues 129 and 136 have been translated into English or if they are still in the original Portuguese. I would also like to know if the previously unpublished comics included in issues 124, 133, 135, 138, 139 and 140 are complete comics or scripts or just outlines.

ryan123450 likes this.
  2. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't help with the Brazillian comics, but I have just recently gotten most of the other releases with the unpublished material.

It's a bit of this a bit of that, but usually more along the lines of outlines since very few things got to the scripting stage before being cancelled, especially the 90s era Marvel stuff.

I don't have 124 or 135, since the Gold Key and Manga stuff is of less interest to me, but the others I can tell you about.

#133 has a very detailed outline of the proposed Sarek graphic novel "The Lessons of Life" that was to be written by Mark Lenard and drawn by Ken Penders, and a briefer outline for a "What If" style story Penders had proposed. The Sarek tale is basically just one step short of a first draft. Along with some character sketches and "proof of concept" artwork. The Sarek story is absolutely wonderful, and (for me), it's worth every penny I've ever paid to Eaglemoss just to have that alone.

#137 has paragraph-length synopses/pitches for what would have been the next ten issues of Starfleet Academy. These were what was sent from writer Christian Cooper to his editor, and they never went any further because of the suddenness with which Marvel dropped the license.

#138 contains the series proposal for Phase 3, essentially a full pitch and "series bible" for the proposed project, with character descriptions and backgrounds, "setting" info, etc. There's a synopses for the crossover/prelude with Early Voyages that would have launched it, detailed synopses/outlines for the first four issues with briefer looks at the proposed issues 5-12, as well as the full first draft script for the DS9/Phase 3 crossover "pilot". The Return of the Wolf section is a full synopses/outline of the two issues, and the unfinished first draft script for issue one.

#139 has a full script for one Sulu story and outlines for 3 more. I haven't had a chance to get into these yet.

#140 has, in addition to the outline, the full script for Dark Emissary, and the completed pencil pages for the whole thing included after. The script and art just haven't been "put together." The pencils are really awesome, though. The next section is a full outline for the three issue miniseries The Romulan Imperative. Then there's an overview of the unpublished DS9 issues with pretty detailed synopses/pitches, and page-long pitches for a couple more Voyager stories.

In each case, Eaglemoss has printed basically everything that exists for each project. Some, like the extra Starfleet Academy material, are less than outlines - just the initial pitch/intended synopses for each missing issue the writer sent to the editor. Even so, it's still good, solid and detailed enough to give you a good idea of where the story was going to go and the resolutions of most of the major plot points that were left dangling when the series was cancelled.

Every author that contributed the unreleased material to Eaglemoss literally gave them all there was. They really wanted stuff on the unpublished Early Voyages stories, but neither Abnett nor Edginton kept any of their notes from back then, and it's been more than 25 years, so they really don't even remember how things were going to be resolved. I will forever be disappointed that my favorite Trek comic series will never have any kind of resolution.

If you're looking for nearly-finished comic with full-color artwork and dialogue bubbles, you won't find that, but if you want to know the stories like I did, this will get you as close as you can come, and in a few cases is almost as good as having the finished comic in your hands.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Jinn, DS9forever, Avro Arrow and 2 others like this.
  3. TJ Sinclair

The Eaglemoss shop description for Volume 135 says it contains both the outline and script for Cold Vengeance, so that's good. If there was artwork, they would've mentioned it.

And for the unpublished Gold Key issue in #124, here's info from TrekCollective's interview with Rich Handley:
    Hope that helps!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Avro Arrow and Extrocomp like this.
  4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

What was Phase 3?

5. TJ Sinclair

A proposed series from Michael Martin and Andy Mangels, with an original crew like New Frontier. Would've focused on an off-the-books ship taking on top secret missions. Proposed and approved during the mid-90s Marvel era. Was even announced a while before they dropped the license.

There would've been a lot of follow ups to things from TOS and TNG that never got picked up on in canon, from the look of it.

6. Stevil2001

Thanks. That sounds vaguely familiar-- I think they recycled some element of it into Rogue, maybe?

7. TJ Sinclair

Some of it may have been. I need to go through the proposal again to see what. The first arc would've been about the crime of "Copyright Violation" - secret transporter duplicates being used as slave labor, something which had been going on since Pike's time. I really would've liked to have seen how that played out.

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TJ Sinclair likes this.
  9. Extrocomp

Yeah, thanks for the very detailed answer to my question. I really appreciate it. I'll try to email Eaglemoss about the Brazilian comics and post the answer here if I get one.

TJ Sinclair likes this.
  10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Am I right in thinking the ship was named the Thunderchild? ISTR Mangels saying that Phase 3 prefigured Section 31.

TJ Sinclair likes this.
  11. TJ Sinclair

Yes and yes. It also featured a partially Maquis crew, though these were ones that had survived the Jem'Hadar invasion and been granted clemency by Starfleet.

12. Stevil2001

Oh, that's what the reference was. The Thunderchild briefly appears in Section 31: Rogue. I'm guessing the crew mentioned in that novel (Captain Evelyn Hoffman, Memory Beta tells me) were planned characters in Phase III?

ryan123450 and Allyn Gibson like this.
  13. TJ Sinclair

Yeah, Evelyn Hoffman was going to be the captain who got killed in the "pilot," necessitating the first officer take over. Reading further into the proposal, Thunderchild had been a placeholder, and they had eventually settled on calling the ship the Roanoke. It also would've been a new class (described pretty well in the pitch), and not an Akira.

The general idea would have been that the Roanoke was declared lost with all hands during the Battle of Sector 001 (in First Contact), but would actually be sent on Starfleet Intelligence missions to follow up on breaches of the Prime Directive, and so forth. Their families back home would have thought they were all dead, which put a strain on a lot of the crew.

The pitch was that while TOS was "Star Trek: Wagon Train", DS9 was "Star Trek: Gunsmoke" and VOY was "Star Trek: Lost In Space", this would have been "Star Trek: MIssion Impossible." That's where it is a "precursor" to the idea of Section 31 in DS9 (which wouldn't even be thought of until at about a year and a half later). Not as morally dubious as Section 31 was, but still clandestine and "so secret everyone has to think we don't exist."

i love pretty much everything about the proposed series except the idea for the first-officer-turned-captain. He's basically described as a Kirk-like ladies' man, quick-to-action, and all of his personal history seems to revolve around the Borg. His parents were killed when the Borg destroyed New Providence, he was tactical officer on the Saratoga (which was actually the post the Bolian we see in "Emissary" held, so hopefully that would have changed) at Wolf 359, and he was first officer during First Contact when his captain was killed. It was basically "he's Kirk, but hates the Borg instead of the Klingons, but he's still an explorer at heart." He would also "never put his crew in danger" but was also described as an extreme risk taker when it came to himself. Not very interesting or original.

Fortunately, all the other characters show much more creativity. I especially love the Horta CMO.

It also would've been a very species-diverse crew, which probably helped inspire the concept when Martin and Mangels were involved in creating the Titan novels.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Allyn Gibson and Stevil2001 like this.
  14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think maybe it's more that Marco Palmieri wanted a very diverse Titan crew and so he recruited authors that he felt were well-suited to that. In my case, that was no doubt because of Ex Machina, so for Andy & Mike, maybe Marco was aware of their comics proposal.

15. TJ Sinclair

Most likely.

I was really struck by the similarities - and differences - between Phase 3's native Pacifican ops officer, and the native Pacifican conn officer that later showed up in Titan. Good to see that M&M were able to adapt and transfer at least some of their ideas and characters from Phase 3.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Recycling unused ideas is something writers do as a matter of course. Several of the Titan crew members I introduced (Torvig, Orilly, and Chaka) were based on aliens I had created for my original science fiction back in college but ended up not using as my plans evolved in other directions.

17. TJ Sinclair

Yes, we do.

18. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...was I the only one who had his shipments unilaterally discontinued by Eaglemoss - after trying to claim the "catch up faster!" offers four times - while still around #70 or so?

19. TJ Sinclair

As I've only bought any of the volumes within the last month, I wouldn't know at all, sorry.

20. Extrocomp

I got a reply from customer service but it doesn't look like they understood my question:

ryan123450 likes this.