Another Hellboy reboot is coming sooner than you think...

...also, I just want to say that I hate non-optional subtitles. Especially one-word-at-a-time like this, as it keeps trying to pull your eyes away from the images. ("Maybe that's the idea" they cried! ;))

I'll just chalk that up as another film to never bother watching.

I know it goes without say, but it's still a damn shame we'll never get that third del Toro film. But at least we can still enjoy the two we got, even if it leaves us thematically hanging.

I'm still holding out hope that we might eventually get a novel or comic adaptation of the script for Del Toro's third movie. We've gotten the original versions of The Star Wars, Alien 3, and the original Planet of the Apes, so it would fit right in with those.

I guess I don't watch enough shitty movies because the trailer looked fine to me. Hellboy not having yellow eyes or more prosthetics on the face is a little weird. But aside from that, he looks better than the last guy.

Wow, the franchise has definitely fallen a long way since The Golden Army.

I walked out of The Golden Army thinking "Outside of getting to see what Elric of Melnibone' might look like on film (Mignola confirmed that del Toro "borrowed" Elric's look) that movie sucked!" The Golden Army had a better budget than the following two movies, and was *slightly* more tolerable than the last movie with the guy from Stranger Things.

I'll just chalk that up as another film to never bother watching.

I know it goes without say, but it's still a damn shame we'll never get that third del Toro film. But at least we can still enjoy the two we got, even if it leaves us thematically hanging.

As someone who was a Hellboy fan from his first appearance in Byrne's "Next Men" I've never been impressed with either of del Toro's Hellboy movies. The first one at least has some character designs that are almost right out of the comic, but character wise, Hellboy didn't feel like the guy I'd been reading. Like "sorta close, but not". Ditto for Abe and Liz. The villains seemed pretty close. But the issue I have with all of the movies we've had so far is that none of the directors understood that spectacle is secondary in a Hellboy tale. Atmosphere is king. The comics ooze atmoshphere. Yeah, there's some amusing quips and some big fights, but that's after all the setup and atmosphere.

The best Hellboy movie I've seen isn't a Hellboy movie, it's "The Nun". It feels like a Hellboy story before Hellboy get's called in. It has atmosphere in spades, it's spooky (yeah it does the jump scare stuff which it doesn't need) but it feels truer to Hellboy than Hellboy's own films in the atmosphere department.

I've never read the Crooked Man as I have no interest in Hellboy being drawn by other artists, but I know one of the main characters in the comics story was a homage to John The Balladeer, the main character of some of my favorite stories, so hopefully that guy will in the film. As someone said, this is more in the vein of Dredd and that movie was fucking bad ass (as opposed to the absolute shit of the Stallone film). Here's hoping this film follows that path. At any rate, unlike the last film, I'll probably check this out in the theater.

I guess I don't watch enough shitty movies because the trailer looked fine to me. Hellboy not having yellow eyes or more prosthetics on the face is a little weird. But aside from that, he looks better than the last guy.

I walked out of The Golden Army thinking "Outside of getting to see what Elric of Melnibone' might look like on film (Mignola confirmed that del Toro "borrowed" Elric's look) that movie sucked!" The Golden Army had a better budget than the following two movies, and was *slightly* more tolerable than the last movie with the guy from Stranger Things.

As someone who was a Hellboy fan from his first appearance in Byrne's "Next Men" I've never been impressed with either of del Toro's Hellboy movies. The first one at least has some character designs that are almost right out of the comic, but character wise, Hellboy didn't feel like the guy I'd been reading. Like "sorta close, but not". Ditto for Abe and Liz. The villains seemed pretty close. But the issue I have with all of the movies we've had so far is that none of the directors understood that spectacle is secondary in a Hellboy tale. Atmosphere is king. The comics ooze atmoshphere. Yeah, there's some amusing quips and some big fights, but that's after all the setup and atmosphere.
The Golden Army is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I didn't read the comics until long after I saw the first two movies.

I'm still holding out hope that we might eventually get a novel or comic adaptation of the script for Del Toro's third movie. We've gotten the original versions of The Star Wars, Alien 3, and the original Planet of the Apes, so it would fit right in with those.

Alien 3? There's a comic or novel based on the original script? What's it called?

There's a comic or novel based on the original script?
Both.

The comic goes by William Gibson's Alien 3 or Alien 3: The Unproduced Screenplay
The novel is called Alien 3: The Unproduced First-Draft Screenplay
Plus there's also an audio drama (with Biehn and Henriksen) called Alien III

The novel is based on the first draft (obviously) but the comic and audio are based on the second draft.

That was a rough trailer. I really enjoyed the GDT movies, but I didn't bother with the last reboot and I probably won't bother with this one either.

As for the comics, I read some after having been familiar with the GDT movies for years, and they were ok but I far prefer the GDT movie version of hellboy to the comics.

Both.

The comic goes by William Gibson's Alien 3 or Alien 3: The Unproduced Screenplay
The novel is called Alien 3: The Unproduced First-Draft Screenplay
Plus there's also an audio drama (with Biehn and Henriksen) called Alien III

The novel is based on the first draft (obviously) but the comic and audio are based on the second draft.

Sweet, thanks for that! I'm one of the few people that really enjoyed both versions of Alien3, but I'm curious about that first and second draft adaptation. I'll see if I can find them.
That was a rough trailer. I really enjoyed the GDT movies, but I didn't bother with the last reboot and I probably won't bother with this one either.

As for the comics, I read some after having been familiar with the GDT movies for years, and they were ok but I far prefer the GDT movie version of hellboy to the comics.

I'd give it a shot. There's enough in that last reboot to enjoy, but for me it's also definitely a film I only need to watch one. While the GDT movies I can rewatch all the time.

New trailer. I'm still not convinced, but it does look a little bit better than the first one.

I have never liked Brian Taylor's directing style, and it looks like he hasn't changed unfortunately. I was hoping a low budget might file some of his edges off.

So are crummy Hellboy do-overs now the playground for directors on their way down? Both Neil Marshall and Brian Taylor are in that club where their theatrical films tend to have an ever-decreasing IMDb score.

I'm still hopeful!! :)

:crazy:

Well, my analysis from the teaser trailer stands, it looks like a decent and faithful adaptation of the comics (though with a new story from the comics' creator), but the lead is still horribly miscast.

Well, my analysis from the teaser trailer stands, it looks like a decent and faithful adaptation of the comics (though with a new story from the comics' creator), but the lead is still horribly miscast.

Perhaps that's the thing that feels off. After Ron Pearlman and David Harbour, I have this image of a big bulky figure. Maybe that's completely wrong in terms of the comics, I don't know. But this version doesn't seem imposing or intimidating.

Not to give them too much credit, but that may be intentional.
He's only been aging about thirteen years or so since he was but a wee red Hellbaby.
I'm assuming it's more like the differing art styles of the comics.

I know Hellboy in the comics is suppose to be more horror than fantasy, Mike Mignola's forte and all, but this does not appeal to me at all.

Maybe that's del Toro's "fault" but I rather see more of the fantastical version of Hellboy than this horrific version (as in the genre, not quality). And yes, I know the door for a final del Toro/Perlman film is sadly, tragically, firmly shut.

The quality of the film itself looks good for what's intended, but it's just not for me.

Back