Annihilation - New movie from writer/director of Ex Machina, starring Natalie Portman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Not really, I am a fan of body horror because it creeps me out though.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Damn, thought I had that one...

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I liked it overall, though I can't shake the feeling that the film expected me to be much more blown away than I was.
    Part of it may be because so many elements, on both a superficial and a thematic level, reminded me of other things. Shades of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', 'Sunshine', 'Solaris', 'Alien', and of course 'Roadside Picnic' by way of the 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' games. It's like the most original, yet still highly derivative movie ever made.

The cast was solid, though I felt as if they could have done a slightly better job of making the principal characters more distinct. I don't think it'd spoil anything to say at a certain point, one of the team is killed...and in the moment I couldn't remember which one it was despite she was literally just on screen having a conversation. That's usually a bad sign.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bump. Please ignore my thread and post in this one.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

book series was pretty good, if somewhat vague on details at times. The movie felt more underwhelming, and seemed like by paring the books down to movie length, dropped a lot of what was going on. Bonus points for trying some more cerebral sci-fi though.

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I have seen the movie a while ago.
    I have one question, why did the team go trough the jungle and not via the beach? It looks a lot saver, or did I miss something?

7. crookeddy

So did anyone catch this one? I saw it last week and I thought it was just ok. Very slow pace, akin to Arrival, but nowhere as thought provoking. Natalie Portman did ok in the role, but she really didn't have anything complex to do. Just an OK movie in my opinion.

8. crookeddy

It's easy to call this movie "cerebral sci-fi" but I've been wondering why we give this label? It seems every movie with a snail's pace is labeled as cerebral...

9. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Another question, did I miss an explanation for why they weren't wearing something like hazmat suits? That would be reasonable, wouldn't it? Not that it would've helped against the mutation but they didn't know that at that point...

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

An alien ecology deposited on Earth in a more kaleidoscopic fashion than being deposited circa Carpenter's FOG.

In short...it's THE MIST..on acid.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw this last night and loved it! Had no idea it was a Netflix movie. Very nice surprise to bump into and get to see immediately.

Loved the eerie atmosphere and surreal visuals. Wasn't crazy about the soundtrack, bar the 2001ish bits.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

If it doesn' thave some cool gadgets, spaceships and weapons and forces you to pay attention people tend to call this "artsy" or whatever label they want to put on. People are used to easy movies that have a clear structure and where everything is clearly spelled out and explained so they don't have to think for a second.

I don't mind these movies.. heck, one of my favorite movies is Armageddon by Michael Bay because it is so gloriously dumb and over the top but still funny and entertaining but i do like that from time to time movies like these get made, Ex Machina and Arrival being two recent examples.

Liked this one, especially the unnerving, eerie soundtrack that added to the tension and the ending got me thinking.
    Are they both copies now? Seems to me as they both changed eye colors. Could also misinterpret it.

13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Are they both copies now? Seems to me as they both changed eye colors. Could also misinterpret it.
    [/QUOTE]

I believe Portman characters DNA was changed that she isn't human and her husband is a copy

14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's too bad that a smart, deliberate science fiction film gets virtually no notice or care whatsoever these days.

I guess if it ain't Marvel garbage or Pixar garbage, it's not selling tickets. Very sad. It was a very good movie experience, in my opinion.

15. crookeddy

Post invalidated.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that phrase pretty much kills any chance of me taking the post seriously.

17. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another question. Why didn't they use any vehicle or anything else? It was clear that machines worked in the Area. Why didn't they know what was happening inside the zone (everyone was surprised by the DNA thing)? And so on.

Every scientist in the movie was struck by sudden stupidity?

18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

In that case they could have flown a helicopter to the center-point in a matter of minutes. They also could have tried to send in drones even though they'd have to have been automated due to communication problems.

19. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They answered all of that in the movie.

The movie does miss out on some of the best scenes from the book, such as hypnotism etc... and kind of insults the audience's intelligence sometimes. The cast did a really great job though and the soundtrack/visuals were really good. Overall I like it but not the truly great movie based on the book I was hoping for.

20. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. They didn't say why they couldn't use some type of vehicle. And how it is possible they didn't know what kind of effect the Area had on living organisms?

For example, they could have adapted a machine like this for experiments. At the end of the arm a laboratory could be placed with animals inside, while the rest of the vehicle remained outside the area. So they could retract the arm when they wanted to study the effects of the area.

[​IMG]

And this is an idea that I had after a few minutes that I was watching the movie. I am sure that a group of scientists could have much better ideas than mine after years of studying the area.