Animated Series - DVD vs. Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by dstyer, Jan 21, 2017.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Always makes me laugh how these companies release the material but haven't done their homework on the said system or studied it's faults! It was the same with DVD when it first came out and there are even more mistakes being made with Blu Rays apparently!
    JB

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I used to watch Blu-Ray's on an SDTV, and over component video I did notice that the image looked slightly better than a DVD, but for the most part I found that the two were very similar.

And in the comparison, while the image with the crew on the transporter padd does show a richer red on Scotty's shirt, and that Spock and Scotty are slightly blurry. But with the red, I have to wonder how much of that is to the poster's Blu-Ray player's ability to convert the Blu-Ray file's natural 4:2:0 chroma subsampling to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. As per the licensing requirements for Blu-Ray, players must automatically convert the color information to 4:2:2 (often call YCbCr in the muenus) or 4:4:4 (often called RGB), rather than staying at its native 4:2:0 level. Some players do offer the ability to deactivate this feature, but very few do.

I know that with my PS3 the Blu-Ray audio is slightly out of sync when I'm listening to it over the Digital Optical Output (my Yamaha surround system is capable of playing back 5.1 from both Dolby Digital and DTS streams over Digital Optical and Digital Coax connections, but it doesn't have the ability to accept HDMI inputs or decoding Dolby True and DTS-HD or 5.1 PCM), since I also have my PS3 connected to my TV via HDMI, and a few times when I'm turning the TV sound down, I can hear both and there is a slight delay with the optical audio. And I've tweaked all my PS3's settings so that the delay is hardly noticeable when I'm just listening to the optical.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I received the white clamshell DVD set as a gift yesterday, and I can report being very happy with the picture quality. It's bright and sharp, with strong, vivid colors. The show looks new. (Compared to CRT viewings back in 1973, it looks a lot better than new.)

Yes, I can detect a little softness in the lines of small things in the far distance, but nothing to trouble me. I'm completely satisfied with what I got. :bolian:

Galileo7 and GeekFilter like this.
  4. GeekFilter

GeekFilter Commander Red Shirt

I LOVE the packaging of the clamshell!