Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by FrontierTrek, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

My opinion matters to me more than those who wasted their money on pablum. If lots of people choose to eat crap and I don't then I'd say I'm way ahead of them. :lol:

And, yeah, his opinion on JJtrek has no bearing on TAS.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hilariously, it's probably the renewed interest in Trek stemming from JJ Abrams' reboot that's the reason they're remastering TNG in the first place, and Burnett has a job. It must sting.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since it's Original Series and therefore the most well-known, iconic characters who are destined to be recast forever now it seems, yadda-yadda... CBS could try getting a reanimation project underway. It'd sell to a network someplace, simply because it's the further adventures of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. No money to lay out on script writers, voicing talent or musical direction. Care would be needed to match new animation with the already set soundtracks. I gather that's the opposite way round to how cartoons are generally made... with the possible exception of Doctor Who's interest in producing visuals to accompany the soundtracks to lost episodes.

Split the 22 episode run in half, for a equal length two season run, with the Blu ray featuring the original Filmation cartoons on one angle and the new style on the other. Go the seamless branching route remastered TOS did.

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I have to agree. I am pleased with the existing TAS box set. It would have to be an impressive improvement in Blu-Ray or include found extras.:vulcan:

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

^^^^^^^^^
    It will be. I believve you once had an issue with any Star Trek produced post 1979 - yet 31 years later, STII:TWoK is not only remembered, but remembered fondly (even with all it's ploty holes and continuity issues.)

For some fans who now like original era Str Trek too -- the ST09 film WAS their intro to the Star Trek franchise, so I'm sure they'll remember and reminisce about it fondly.

Hell TNG Season 1 is still considered garbage by myself and a lot of other older (TOS) fans, yet now, a lot TNG fans look on it with fondness, and still like it as it's what got them into Star Trek fandom.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Damn straight. Of course it'll be remembered. Heck, even the disappointing parts of the Trek franchise are remembered -- we remember ST V, we remember "Threshold," we remember "These Are the Voyages." We remember all of it, the good and the bad and most of the in between. (Except TAS. That tends to get overlooked a lot.)

Of course, ST '09 actually has the highest critical and audience approval ratings of any Trek film ever made and is the most financially successful Trek film since TMP. It will be remembered by most people just as fondly as TWOK is, and for much the same reasons -- TWOK was the film that saved the franchise from extinction, and ST '09 was the film that brought it back from extinction. They both gave it new leases on life, began new eras in its history, and so of course they both have an indelible place in its history. I accept that about TWOK even though I personally dislike it.

But even if most people really did dislike ST '09 as much as Warped9 does, it would certainly still be remembered, because fandom is nothing if not devoted to its hatreds. Either way, love it or hate it, it makes no sense to claim it won't be remembered.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

For you perhaps, but you don't like anything ST beyond ST:TMP, IIRC.

I loved ST 2009 and it actually ties with TMP as my favourite ST. (I also know many ST fans who consider TMP to be pablum.) When I discovered ST fandom it took me a loooong time to find any ST fans who actually liked the first movie. Strangely enough, the people I did find in 1980 agree with me that ST 2009 was cool, too.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You don't recall correctly or I wouldn't have popped for the first two seasons of TNG-R and I'm waiting for Season 3.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Your signature use to have 1979 as the end date so we remember quite well. You've just gotten soft in your old age. :p

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

What's the point of that? From a commercial standpoint, there's no great demand to see any sort of TAS-R production, and slapping some new animation over the Filmation voice and music score work boils down to disrespect coupled with a gimmick production.

If anyone really had a desire for a Trek cartoon, base it on J.J. Trek, and gauge the public interest. Good luck to them on that.