Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador kit!

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by GodThingFormerly, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steven87gill

steven87gill Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes, i can't wait to see the final result. I'm guessing the ships hull detail will be the same as the current ambassador, since for me the basic shape was the only thing that needed altering rather than the actual skin detail/colouring, i always felt that they got that one about right in the sense of making it a mix between the exelsior/galaxy

2. steven87gill

Sorry, correct myself there, there were actually two, the first was simply a redress of the ST5 bridge which, logically (no pun intended) is what it probably should've been, the one i meant was the second one with more hints of the galaxy class in the design, i really did like that, but the shape of the bridge as it is now would make it difficult to fit that in :(

3. steven87gill

Hey, i'm always up for ressurecting dead threads!

I suspect this is on the back burner for andy probert at the mo, but if he's goin for a 'yesterday's enterprise' bridge, then this is a good basis to start http://www.flickr.com/photos/fadmvulcan/2381928006/ i believe this exellent artwork is from the star trek new frontier novels
    bit of tweaking and that would be brilliant.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Andy: Great updates and work overall as usual. Question: I think I remember reading on one of the DrexFiles or John Eaves blogs that the saucer section of this model was supposed to be somewhat elliptical - not as eliptical as the Galaxy class, but not round, either like the Excelsior, as an intermediary design lineage between the two. Is that the case for this or more likely the "other" final Ambassador?

Thanks again for your contributions! :techman:

5. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

My Flickr site you linked has both the Enterprise-C and Excalibur bridges.

6. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

Hey, gang,...

I appreciate the continued interest in my original Ambassador configuration and, to all of you anxious to see it finished, I apologize for putting it on a back burner. Most of the problem is my frustration with the software I'm currently using and my inability to tweak the various shapes to what I envision. The linear and more geometric elements were easier (and therefore completed) but the engineering hull and blended warp pylons became too time intensive so I've taken a step back until I'm ready to get back into it.

Andrew-

7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Commodore, good to hear it's still on your mind. We look forward to seeing when you're back into it.

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we try to model the secondary hull of the Galaxy. :)

8. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure you mentioned this at some point, throughout the dozen-plus pages of this thread... but what software are you using? If it's something I, or one of the other 3D-type guys on here knows a bit about, maybe some help could be forthcoming?

Alternatively, it's not too difficult to start over in another package, if you have the ability to output your work in orthographic views which you can "trace" in other packages.

Since pretty much every package out there can output STL files (which, I'm sure, are what you plan to use for making the 3D "master patterns" for the Federation Models stuff), it might not be the worst possible option.

Me, I chose a package and have become an expert with it, but I'm always trying to learn new stuff (hence having Z-Brush, Poser, Truespace, etc, etc, all on here as well as my chosen packages of Pro/ENGINEER and Maya). I suspect that there may be other "tactics" to get where you want to go, within whatever software you're using. Plenty of resources out there, including right here. All ya gotta do is ask... ;)

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Or he could get an incredibly eager fan to do it for him. Hint hint. :p

10. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, does this translate to "any excuse to avoid having to texture my model?" ;)

11. Gepard

:shifty:

12. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If only we had 24th century tech to turn Probert's painting into a perfect 3D model immediately.

13. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

Actually, it translates to "I wish I was a CG Modeling wiz and could figure out a way to competently model what I've designed".....

Andrew-

14. Gepard

Heh. He was actually addressing me. :p

15. steven87gill

Facinated to hear if Andy Probert has had any more luck with this, i know he's an exceptionally busy man, but i have to say this was one of my favourite WIP's of his :)

16. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'm very interested in seeing and possibly purchasing artwork and/or miniatures of Probert's Enterprise-C.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

18. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

19. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

On the SciFi-Meshes-thread about this project, Andrew Probert himself weighs in from time to time.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.