And the Next Cancelled Show is...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Not a cancellation but a confirmed pick up...

Guy Gardener likes this.
  2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Anyone legitimately think this is going to be funny, or want to watch it? Seems very forced, don't see the point. Conservatives ought to hate it as well, as it should essentially be a constant stream of bashing southern religious folks as dim and backwards by a young nerd...

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It will probably just get the pilot (Favreau is directing that one, so it may be a little good) and a couple production episodes... just from the sheer mass of popularity garnered from its parent show and the fanbase wanting to see what it's like out of sheer perverse curiosity... then fail and get cancelled after 3 episodes (4 on the outside) once everyone realizes how absurdly bad it is.

This is my prediction.

I just hope that it doesn't reflect negatively for the viewership on TBBT out of total-suckitude-backsplash and wind up killing that show, too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Interesting that Sheldon's father is being played by the same actor who played the bully who picked on Leonard in high school (season five, episode 11 "The Speckerman Recurrence").

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the stupid BBT prequel will actually do fine. I mean look at the other stupid shows CBS gave full seasons to this year.

I rather have a spinoff where the comic book guy moves away and opens a new store.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ugh, stuart is even less watchable probably than Sheldon, if stuck with a full 30 minute episode. I'm all set with either concept, no thanks...

Kemaiku likes this.
  7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I love Stuart.

Mind you, I work in a comic shop...

Snaploud and KennyB like this.
  8. bigdaddy

You would modify his character and have him around a new group of nerd friends. It be pretty much the same stupid show just change the names of the characters.

9. bigdaddy

The Good Fight, the first, and only, CBS Access show was renewed for a second season.

Jax likes this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Imagine a whole show just about comic book nerds..... Not scientist types like Sheldon but proper comic book nerds. I wonder what that would be any different?

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Great news, I blasted through The Good Wife via Netflix over the last 6 months, ending it just before The Good Fight started and so far I've really enjoyed the spin off.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Less science.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Yes but the rest of the show would probably be the same minus the science, the jokes would be the same, the awkwardness would be the same, the lack of social skills etc.. BB without the science.

14. Nerys Myk

Not sure what point you're trying to make. The science is part of the background of the show. Occasionally the science setting drives the plot. Sometimes the nerd stuff does. Sometimes the relationships, do.

15. Gingerbread Demon

Oh sorry I was just rambling a bit. Thinking what a show just about comic book nerds minus the science, I meant just nerdy types

16. Nerys Myk

It would about me and my friends thirty years ago.

17. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Fuck, I'm a jinx.

I loved the British Home Fires. Cancelled after S2.

The USA's Civil War drama Mercy Street. Just cancelled. By that logic, get ready to kiss Timeless goodbye.

I'm the kiss of death. I rarely watch new shows, sticking to documentaries, historical shows (war and such) or news, but when I do chance a drama, it always gets the fucking ax.

KennyB and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If that's true, Bonz, can I give you a list of shows I'd LIKE axed so you can start watching them? :devil:

19. Gingerbread Demon

Behold the power of Bonz

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I don't think that would ever work. For example, it already stretches the credulity of "geek cred" in BBT when one of the characters makes an EP IV reference, but spells out the full title in the show ("Star Wars Episode IV", or "Star Wars, A New Hope", or some variant thereof) to make sure the "mundanes" who think themselves non-geeks know exactly what they're talking about. Around here, if I just said "SW EP IV", pretty much everyone would know what I meant. Every character on the show would know that too, but for the sake of the audience, they're unconsciously breaking the 4th wall to over-explain something that they should already know. Same thing with any TOS ep. For the most part, I would say something like "Mirror, Mirror", and everyone knows it. On BBT, they would say "The Star Trek Original Series Episode Mirror, Mirror". Ugh...fucking ponderous.

Now, take that into the basement of TRUE geekdom, where the denizens of such a world barely emerge into the sunlight and have a hard time interacting with others because they have zero social skills. The only place they could reasonably function is a sci-fi convention. And like the others have mentioned here, no scientific references to keep it even mildly interesting, fresh and relevent. It would really ONLY be funny to non-geeks, feeling good about themselves that they aren't the pathetic troglodytes on the screen, constantly struggling in quick-to-get-tiresome fish-out-of-water situations, and it would guarantee to be even more offensive to some geeks than BBT is now. It would kill a core demographic that they would hope to acquire. Many geeks have a hard time laughing at themselves, and this would definitely cross the line and cause a geekdom shitstorm (geekstorm?) of biblical proportions, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017