And the Next Cancelled Show is...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

Actually, CW is rebooting Walker, Texas Ranger this fall.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The Crown was supposed to go for 6 years, they are ending it with the 5th season, the creators claim they changed the plan, but it was Netflix.

I think Sex Ed will get a 4th season too. 13 Reasons Why and Dear White people are both ending with 4 years. Plus the show iwl end in what's his name senior year.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, either way, it's getting a shorter run, and it makes me wonder if it was due to the 3rd season's reception. I think I heard that they plan on introducing Diana in the 4th season, but it'd be reasonable to guess that they wouldn't want to go much beyond that.

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

With Lansbury again?

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

She can guest-star as the new lead's Great-Grandma Jessica.

6. thribs

She never had kids though. Multiple nephews and nieces. But no kids.

7. cardinal biggles

Great-Aunt, then.

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We also got Wiesguy,Jake and the Fatman,Webster,Different Strokes, Facts of Life,Mr Beverdere,St Elsewhere and Charles in Charge to tap.

Jason

9. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I'd be interested. The whole point was to watch Chuck Norris kick the crap out of people, not so much the plot.

10. bigdaddy

And Jared Padalecki will be kicking the crap out of people... shirtless.

11. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Yes, Spenser Confidential, starring Mark Wahlberg. I haven't read all the Robert B Parker Spenser novels, let alone any of those written by Ace Atkins, but watching the movie trailer, my thought was, "Man! Everything has changed except for the character names!" And in ways that the passage of time can't explain, so this must be a reboot of sorts. In the new movie, Spenser was framed by fellow cops while he was in the police force & sent to jail; so, never a PI. Upon release from prison, he lives with Henry Cimoli (who was a gym owner in the novels), played by Alan Arkin; Hawk apparently was never the ubercool international enforcer, but just an MMA fighter who sublets a room from Henry; Spenser's longtime girlfriend wasn't Susan :wtf: , and is apparently nothing like her. (Netflix's blurb on IMDB says she's "foulmouthed"; definitely not Susan.)

Now, I don't want to be that guy who demands new adaptations of favorite books/TV shows/movies must be exactly like he remembers them. So I'll withhold judgement until I've had a chance to see the new movie, which (BTW) is billed as an action-comedy. This Spenser does appear to also have his personal moral code which was a key part of his character, so that's a good sign. But I'm... skeptical... :vulcan:

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  12. thribs

Does seem like a step down after facing God.

13. cardinal biggles

Seriously? I read probably... oh, at least half of the Spenser novels Parker wrote, and that sounds absolutely nothing like the character. Like any of the characters. Not saying Spenser has to be frozen in time in the 70s/80s/90s/00s, but the characters are the characters. Fucking yikes. Unless this gets some really good reviews, I'm thinking this is going to be a hard pass. :(

14. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Yeah, I was seriously dismayed when I saw the trailer. Sounds like I read about as many of Parker's Spenser novels as you did, maybe a few more. The movie looks to me like a total "reimagining", and probably not in ways I'll enjoy. The 80s TV series was a largely enjoyable, but not perfect, adaptation of the novels. Spenser, in the books and novels, was an admirable human being trying to do the right thing and to help people. The byplay between him and Hawk was wonderful, witty and insightful. Susan, once she established an identity separate from Spenser, was the perfect compassionate companion. None of that seems to be present in the new movie. Sadly. :rolleyes:

15. bigdaddy

Does Mark Wahlberg have some of Epstein's child rape tapes? How the hell does he still get acting jobs. He couldn't act out of himself of a paper bag. He couldn't even act as the paper bag.

16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he is okay with the right role. He doesn't have much range but if you need a kind of macho but sensitive guy he is a good option.

Jason

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I have... what...what the &*^$ was that? I'm generally speaking OK with adaptations changing stuff but that is so unconnected to Spenser that it's worth just treating it as an original picture.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    DrCorby likes this.
  18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bosch was renewed for season 7 which will also be its last.

Liev Schreiber is posting on Instagram that there will be more Ray Donovan, but no one else is saying anything.

19. bigdaddy

Bosch is already on season 7?! Damn. Never thought an Amazon show would last that long.

I think Liev Schreiber is like "There will be more even if it's me talking in from of an IPhone and released on youtube!!!" :)

20. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

God season 7 I have a lot of catching up to do.
    According to amazon , I'm part way though season 3 but I can only remember bits of season 1.