An Alternative Main Title Theme for ENT?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by The Academic, Mar 18, 2009.

1. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

I just finished reading the 'Why did everyone hate Faith of the Heart?' thread and it kind of struck me when one poster suggested that Pink Floyd's Learning to fly would have fit better as a main title theme. I checked it out and I must admit that his choice was actually pretty good. Now I'm wondering what other songs (un-Star Trek-like, just like Faith of the Heart was completely unlike, say, the Voyager Main Title) could fit the intro scene just as well...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

I think a recording of a hillbilly throwing himself onto the hood of a Dodge Dart over and over would be more liked than the original.

Joe, hay-yuck

3. The Academic

Admittedly funny and original, but not very helpful... :vulcan:

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was once impressed by a fan video that used The Moody Blues' "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" (at least I think that's what the song is called).

Had there been a 5th Season (or even a change for it's final episodes), I would quite liked to have Archer's Theme with Bakula narration. Star Trek.com originated the idea and I once put together an alternate version of it, see my signature. They could then restore the Faith instrumental used for the End Credits in Broken Bow.

5. The Academic

I went through my extensive music library and checked out the song, but - although I like it very much as such - there's nothing Star Trek in it (however, you can just as well argue where's the Star Trek in the theme song they actually did). Furthermore, it's simply too 1988 and doesn't have this timeless quality that even Faith of the Heart has.

I, too, thought that Enterprise - even more than, for example, Voyager - deserved an epic main title theme. Heck, the entire concept of the Voyager intro, including theme song, would have been suited better to Enterprise... with all the loneliness of space and the sense of longing and adventure. As it is, it was wasted on the mediocrity that Voyager turned out to be (don't get me wrong - Enterprise could have been much better and more faithful to... well... the canon, starting with projectile weapons and nuclear missiles, for example). Nevertheless, the stuff in your signature is quite good, as well.

6. The Academic

How about an Alan Parsons Project song for timelessness, something along the lines of Time or Days are Numbers (The Traveller)?

7. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

"Blue Blue Sky" by The Alan Parsons Project, from their album On Air, has lyrics that fit the theme of Enterprise. But folks who like the sweeping orchestral sound might not go for it.

Someone has already fashioned an opening-credits sequence with it; it's on YouTube. I recall one of the comments indicating that Berman or Braga (I forget which) liked the song as well.

I also like the idea of "Archer's Theme" with Bakula doing his "Space...the final frontier" narration. His reading had an upbeat, optimistic tone that fit the series.

8. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

Oddly enough, that's what my epitaph will read.

Joe, undead

9. The Academic

I could kick myself right now that I've never heard that song and that I have no clue where I could get it on such short notice... :mad:

P.S.
    I take that back... I just watched the Blue Blue Sky intro on youtube and - I hope you're not mad at me - it's even worse than Faith of the Heart. But then again, most of the fan-made alternative intros shown on youtube are sub-par...

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Really? Try listening to Shatner's and Stewart's narration first, then listen to Bakula's, and then write a comment... :rolleyes:

(to me, it sounded like he just wanted get the damn thing over with and go home)

EDIT: I like "Faith of The Heart" (seas. 1&2 version), and I see no need for alternatives, but, I would have loved hearing a woman sing it in S5 (someone like Sherill Crow or possibly even Michelle Branch). Go figure :D

11. HopefulRomantic

:lol: I prefer the full-length version of the song, which has an extended instrumental portion that is its greatest strength. But a 4:25 song wouldn't be so good for opening titles of a TV show. :)

Really.

I have heard the earlier narrations, probably thousands of times. IMHO, they're each appropriate for their respective series. Different strokes, dude.

12. The Academic

Then I'll try to get my hands on the full-length version and give it another try...

Talking about instrumental portions... how about Then Jericho's Big Area (I know it has already been used in that god-awful Slipstream) or Tears for Fears' Schroedinger's Cat? That would be unusual but cool somehow...

13. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

If I was to change the title music, I would go with something instrumental. This show was about earth's first extended foray into the cosmos and that deserved an epic theme to accompany it. I am talking about something similar to the theme used in "The Right Stuff" or "Apollo 13" which was filled with bombastic horns and snare drums, heralding the arrival of greatness. Unlike the moody theme of DS-9 or the tinkling airy music of Voyager, this one should have made you want to stand on your feet and salute. We were in the presence of heroes and the audience should have been reminded of that every time we clicked over to watch (rather than forced to hear something that could have played over the credits to Dawson's Creek ;)).

14. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

I agree with something instrumental. But if the song was "Faith in the Stars" not "Faith of the Heart" it may have been more space appropriate. The song is inspirational it really doesn't move you exclusively to Star Trek. I admit I loved hearing is in the beginning because it was so inspirational, almost a gospel feel. I really like how it says "I have faith that I can do anything" and some other lines because that's part of the concept in making space flight an achievement.

15. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT.

Here's another thought: if 'Enterprise' wanted to be different, why not intersperse the traditional space shots in the opening with some of the actors? There are several on Youtube that work quite well, IMHO.

16. HopefulRomantic

As I've said, I like "Faith of the Heart" and the idea of using it for Enterprise, but the notion of using something appropriate from "Apollo 13" is terrific. I really love that score. One of Horner's best, IMHO.

17. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

18. john titor

john titor Captain

Faith of the Heart is what South Park takes the piss out of regularly.

19. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

They should have used Jerry Goldsmith's alternate theme for TMP (the first one that he did that GR rejected). It's got the same sense of sweeping epic that the final TMP music did and would have lent itself well to a show about exploration. Plus, it's distant similarity to the TMP/TNG theme would have informally 'linked' it to the later productions. Unfortunate missed opportunity. But I can understand why. We all knew that more males in the 18-25 demo will watch a show with a 'cool' rock theme song, right?

20. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I seem to recall hearing the rejected one on YouTube before and liking it.