American Horror Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Oct 5, 2011.

?

How Would You Grade The Episode?

1. Awesome

25.0%
  2. Above Average

54.2%
  3. Average

4.2%
  4. Below Average

8.3%
  5. Horrible

8.3%
  1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the heads-up, I checked my DVR and it does say it ends at 11:10. Just to be paranoid, I'll bump that out a bit because I have the feeling, those last few moments will be crucial.

Even if Ben's child is dead, I guess they could go the Frankenbaby route and turn it into some kind of soulless horror that crawls around the floor, endangering everyone's ankles. :rommie:

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I'm travelling on business, and the hotel I'm staying at does not have FX.

DAMNIT!!!!

:scream:

Thank God for TiVo, but I have to wait.....

3. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's amazing that the family found more happiness in their ghost lives than they did in their regular lives.

I applaud Ben for confronting Tate with his crap.

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, especial ly when gathered around the Christmas tree. It was a Hallmark moment in a creepy kind of way. :lol: I do believe Tate was sincere when he apologized to Ben, out of love for Violet.

I was kinda sorry to see Ben die, but that was the only way he could be reunited with Vivien and Violet. WTF with the Ramos family? It's pronounced "Rah-mos" not "Ray-mos." And Mr. Ramos was obviously Filipino, not Spanish. I'm glad they left the house as soon as they came because they wouldn't have worked out in the long run. Not bad for a season finale.

So this is the direction the new season is going. Constance raises Evil Kid. The Harmons stay in the house, and the stories will still be from their perspective, except now they're ghosts.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ventured into Beetlejuice territory a little bit there, but man that ending. I wonder how they're going to set up the next season.

6. Joe Washington

I do admire this show for the daring risks it takes. And this is only the first season.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The 3 year jump may be a good thing for season 2. We can assume they will be new people in the house and we also have a 3 year period that some other stuff could be flashed back to. Nice ending with little satan, its great how he is blonde and fair skined to decieve other unlike the kid in the Omen that was dark and evil looking.

8. Obiwanshinobi

red headed kid Damien?

edit*

I guess he didn't have red hair after all.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Blonde, presumably because Tate and Vivian had light colored hair.

10. Obiwanshinobi

haha i was referring to the kid from The Omen, it's been a while since I've seen the original. I remember the kid in the remake had dark hair, but vaguely remember the original one.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I really do wonder what direction season 2 will go in? Yes we have little satan but where else will it go.

12. Joe Washington

13. Temis the Vorta

I'm not sure whether they've written themselves into a corner or not...they can't introduce a new family to the house as major characters because they have too many major characters to handle now, and killing them all means they've all got job security. :rommie:

The ideal solution is for Billie Dean to move into the house and run her psychic reality show out of there. A Ghost Hunters show that has real ghosts! SyFy would be green with envy.

I didn't quite figure out the conversation between Nora and Vivien - too much mumbling - was the upshot that Ben's son survived? The whole Xmas tableau with the happy family and the tree suggests that the kid is the Second Coming, and that the direction for the show will be to have Satanbaby fight Jesusbaby for dominion of the world. That certainly has some entertaining and loopy possibilities for S2.

(I just took a peek at Joe Washington's spoiler link - uh, I think the showrunners might be making a big fat mistake there - this could turn out to be one of those cases of a show that has a solid first season and then goes straight to hell, in this case both metaphorically and otherwise.)

The cast, not the writing, is clearly this show's strength. With a different cast, the shallowness and silliness of the writing might be more obvious. But if S2 focuses on Book of Revelations stuff with Constance and Billie Dean as major characters, who knows, that could work okay...

Or, if they mean that the same actors will play entirely different characters, that could actually mix things up in a fun way, like what Nero Wolfe did, while not taking a chance on a new cast that might not click like this one did.

Here's another article with a bit more information...

No vampires! Well, that's a good decision anyway.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The baby survived long enough, a breath or two, to die after it was born--which qualifies it for ghosthood, I guess.

It's a ghost baby now.

15. Temis the Vorta

I guess I wasn't thinking that was an issue, that it matters whether the kid died in the womb or out of it, since either way, he's in the house.

That just makes the existence of the second twin pointless - the entire season is just an exercise in pointlessness. All they did is to hire an engaging cast to enact a bunch of sensationalistic plot twists to keep the audience from changing the channel but that ultimately added up to nothing.

The kid's a ghost baby, they're all dead, the Harmons haven't solved any of their issues that they had at the beginning, unless the message is that death solves everything. Wow, lazy.

Now I know why people were warning me when the season began that these writers have a bad reputation from Nip/Tuck. They didn't really tell a story at all. They just took a premise and ran it into the ground. This isn't a TV series, it's a con game. :rommie:

So, any speculation about this?

Could the show switch venues to Larry in prison or the looney bin where Vivien was trapped? Eh. I'd rather the clue be related to Billie Dean and her psychic reality TV show. That could be a great setting.

Or maybe they're going to Roanoke. :rommie: Croatoan!!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

That would suck. I voted No. :scream: Going with a different premise or plotline while using some of the existing cast members would be a huge gamble. It almost sounds like an anthology series, a la Twilight Zone.

17. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Happy with them going with a new storyline but certain actors playing different characters, whats all that about:confused:

18. Obiwanshinobi

While it is a big gamble, I actually think this could be pretty cool. This is essentially what Heroes should have done right? Maybe not the part with the same actors playing different characters.

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever they do, they better keep Jessica Lange. She was the absolute best part of the show.

The actress playing Violet greatly improved her acting--or getting into her character--over the season. Of course, the roughness in her acting at the start could’ve been down to the actress not being directed right...or the director not knowing which way the show was going so he couldn’t direct her right...or Murphy not knowing which way the show was going so he couldn’t tell the director.

20. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I'd be happy for each season to exist within its own continuity, and I'm perfectly happy to see some of the same actors return as different characters, as long as Jessica Lange is one of them. The woman's a powerhouse.